Old 12-31-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
evan3

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Interesting issue with Apple's new In-Ear Headphones with Mic

Please Login to Remove!

First time post. Greetings all.

So I ordered Apple's new In-Ear Headphones with mic in hopes I could use it for both calls and for playing tunes on my new Bold. The first time I tried to use the headphones with the Bold no sound came out of the headphones and no headphone icon appeared in the Bold's music app. Headphones didn't work with the phone either. I figured there was an incompatibility and I should move on.

Upon further testing, I noticed something interesting. If I initiate a phone call and THEN plug in the headphones, the Bold will recognize the headphones, and the headphones (including the mic) will work (though the volume control won't). If I then switch to the music app, the headphones will work with the music app. But if I unplug the headphones and then plug them back in, the Bold won't recognize them, and I have to initiate the phone call process again.

Blackberry-supplied headphones work fine; I just don't like them.

Sort of odd. Smells like a bug to me. Any thoughts/explanations?

Thanks in advance.

Happy new year.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan3 View Post
First time post. Greetings all.

So I ordered Apple's new In-Ear Headphones with mic in hopes I could use it for both calls and for playing tunes on my new Bold. The first time I tried to use the headphones with the Bold no sound came out of the headphones and no headphone icon appeared in the Bold's music app. Headphones didn't work with the phone either. I figured there was an incompatibility and I should move on.

Upon further testing, I noticed something interesting. If I initiate a phone call and THEN plug in the headphones, the Bold will recognize the headphones, and the headphones (including the mic) will work (though the volume control won't). If I then switch to the music app, the headphones will work with the music app. But if I unplug the headphones and then plug them back in, the Bold won't recognize them, and I have to initiate the phone call process again.

Blackberry-supplied headphones work fine; I just don't like them.

Sort of odd. Smells like a bug to me. Any thoughts/explanations?

Thanks in advance.

Happy new year.
I use the Shure iPhone "cable" with a microphone and a socket for your headphones - and have similiar issues. Occassionally I can't get the music player to recognise the headphones.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
jaysunn0
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 249e4fd
Carrier: AT&T

same here I have to play with the cord to get it to recognize
Old 01-02-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
chronism
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Same here as well. I have to pull the plugs out and reinsert after call is initiated.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
novalovr66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 216b6c58
Carrier: AT$T

Blackberries don't like apples! LMAO
Old 03-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

Did anyone find a solution to this? I just RMA'd my blackberry because of trackball issues, now I'm getting the same problem with the new Bold.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I use the Shure SE102MPA headset and it works fine on both my iPhone and Bold. My BlackBerry Premium Headset also works fine on both.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

My first Bold worked just fine with these Apple buds. After I returned it and got a new one, they stopped working. Same issue as described by the original poster: finicky results when plugging in the buds, most often result = not working at all. All other buds, including Shure, work just fine.

I'm thinking it has to be a hardware issue because I've tried upgrading/downgrading to nearly every OS out there. They work on my friend's Bold running .247, but won't work on mine, which is also running .247. Going to RMA once more and hope for the best.
Closed Thread