BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Re: I tried. Really, I tried.

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Red-Elf View Post
This is interesting since I left a Bold 9000 as soon as Windows Phone came out. I jumped to Focus, still have it, and am looking at getting back to Blackberry. I missed the unified inbox compared to Windows Phone separate app/live tile for everything. The Hub concept appeals to me, but not being able to quickly select multiple messages and delete them would be a pain, but I have hope they get it fixed. From what I've read elsewhere they have addressed the battery concerns, can anyone confirm that?
Deleting multiple messages at once is possible. Touch a message in the list for a second and on the right side, a menu will open. Click on the icon that looks like a tick box. Then touch as many messages you like. They get blue. You can now choose if you want to delete them, mark them opened/unopened, flag them or file them.

Last edited by freakinvibe; 03-15-2013 at 05:04 PM..
Old 03-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #42
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Can you scroll up/down and delete multiple items that are on more than one page? Can't seem to get that to work.

Multiple delete is kludgy - in my opinion.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #43
freakinvibe

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

No, I don't think you can do that. There is also no "Mark All" possibility.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #44
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You can delete prior but that doesn't help me.
I get a lot of notifications/machine generated emails that I don't need to read but want to at least see are there.

And there is no good way to delete multiple e-mails.

Another example of "moving forward" I guess. I wonder who the architects spoke to when they were gathering requirements. For all of the hype that TAT got, their design is inconsistent and leaves a little to be desired.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
The-Red-Elf
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinvibe View Post
Deleting multiple messages at once is possible. Touch a message in the list for a second and on the right side, a menu will open. Click on the icon that looks like a tick box. Then touch as many messages you like. They get blue. You can now choose if you want to delete them, mark them opened/unopened, flag them or file them.
I agree this is bad, even more so if you can't scroll and continue to select. Super easy to do in Windows Phone, they should rip that off.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #46
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
I tried the Z10. Loved the form factor. Fast and lightweight.
But I went back to my Lumia 920 (fast and heavyweight) for a few reasons:
- Font sizes; the lock screen and e-mails are so small I can barely read them. Even with my reading glasses on
- Apps. Or lack thereof. And not Skype and Netflix. Apps I use.
- Poor battery life on LTE. I got about 8 hours today and I barely touched it.
- Just some things I got used to. Much easier to delete e-mails on the Lumia (fewer touches)..
- Speed Dialing just wasn't happening for me on the Z10.

I will keep it around; it works fine on WiFi just no calls and will test it as (if) software updates become available.

It has promise. It is a lovely BB, but not right for my needs.

Font Size:
Settings > Accessibility. Choose your preferred Font size (default is tiny 8 which I like), and this does affect the font on the lock screen. I noticed this on Feb 8th when Z10 was available in Toronto, ON (sorry Canada not the 2 Toronto's in the USA).

Apps ... this will affect everyone but its very odd. We've come a long way where such advanced applications for media or communications didn't exist when browsers where PISS-POOR on smartphones (be it WinCE, Windows Smartphone or Phone Edition, or S60 or UIQ). However the browsers have advanced quite well with HTML5, KHTML core (WebKit), and even Flash support in our BB10/PlayBooks and yet we now cling onto applications for media/communications MORE than EVER?! Is this not backwards?!??

Netflix,
I still don't understand the reason for this "NEEDED" application.
Let me explain:
1. I'm in Canada so the offerings from Netflix is a pure joke! Blockbuster & JumboVideo of old had much more offerings and right now the mom & pop store down the street or next block has more movies than I can shake a stick at with Netflix.

2. Streaming video content (movies, documentaries, or TV shows old/new) doesn't make sense to me on a smartphone ... read on. The reason is I don't have an unlimited data plan, the big three in Canada (Telus/Bell Mobility, or Rogers), and quite possibly the same big three in the USA (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile) also doesn't offer unlimited data - those that still have it most likely are on a grandfathered plan, n'est pas? and if you change your smartphone to the Z10 or a new Android or IP5 then most likely that grandfathered plan having unlimited data is now null and void. This means you'll be relying on WiFi.

Netflix on HSPA/DC-HSPA/LTE can get seriously costly over a data network - so what's the point if not unlimited & no junk type "fair use" unlimited data which gets throttled down in 6/10GB in a 30 day period. Enjoy that.

3. WiFi ... the majority of your WiFi connections are going to be at either A) Home, B) Work or C) Family/Friends/Cottage. If you're planning to using Netflix in option C, section Friends/Family's house then its considered quite rude to do so without including them ... and if you're going to include them it's most likely that they have a PC/Mac/Linux computer, PS3, Xbox or Wii with the Netflix app installed and signed in already connected to the TV/Projector so why would you spend any time queuing up Netflix on your Z10 or other Smartphone, changing settings for WiDirect/DLNA or connect a cable and switch input feed on their TV?

Now the other side is using a Hotel's wifi connection and if I'm correct a LOT of Hotels charge some serious fees to your hotel room payable by you (under your surname) and its not unlimited. Most ppl streaming Netflix will forget this and rack up a few hours on the bill over a week.

Internet at your local Cafe of choice - Starbucks, Timothy's, etc will most likely cut off the movie stream after 20/30mins ... you're lucky if you get 60mins.

Netflix, to me in my mind is an app that is best suited to a PS3/Xbox/Wii or iPad where the majority of streaming and use time is done at home over WiFi where the costs to enjoy it and the restrictions are at a null concern. So this leaves me with the rebuttal of 'why does anyone gripe for Netflix on smartphone, and do they truly really need it, or is it something to gripe about as per verbatim' ??

Quote:
No they did not. No next/previous. On my list. No next unread. Go back to the list (in the now-famous Hub)...
Um yes they did.

tap the elipses icon bottom right hand corner for Next/Previous in emails (but this is not for unread) so you're right there.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #47
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You cannot change the font size on HTML e-mails which can be miniscule.
I can change them on my WP8 devices.

The rest of your posting (about Netflix) is interesting reading (I guess) but immaterial.

You can't change the font size on e-mails. I already had the font size at 12. That changes the menus.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #48
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
tap the elipses icon bottom right hand corner for Next/Previous in emails (but this is not for unread) so you're right there.
Negative. It's Reply, Reply All, Forward, Mark Unread, Flag, File, Invite to Meeting, Add to Contact, and Delete.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #49
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Safety

I have been reading these and thinking "these really are not a big deal to me", so I bought one. Now I and bummed out as well. LOVE the phone. Perfect weight, size, etc. - just feels great. Like the layout and function of the phone.

BUT then I started using it. Now I feel like all us loyal BB users who stuck with them through all the new cool phones on the other side because BB just worked for us got tossed under the bus as they threw away all the things we loved about BB in favor of bing more ilike. So disappointed. No push for POP? No BIS? No USB 2 way sync yet? No delete on BB and leave on server? No compresion? No different tones for different emails? No isheep is going to leave the iphone for features they already have and now you are going to take away many of the features that kept us BB users all these years and give us even more incentive to jump ship?

I am THE BB guy at my business. I have stuck with them and kept many of my coworkers with them while others jumped ship. Now I feel like an idiot that I stuck by them and get handed this great device that works just like the other phones I did not want to change to. I am just sick. If I lose all this, I might as well change to IOS or Android and get all the other perks that come with it.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #50
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Try WP8
That may work. You have to use what works for you (and your company).
Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #51
nobody7290

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unluky View Post
I have been reading these and thinking "these really are not a big deal to me", so I bought one. Now I and bummed out as well. LOVE the phone. Perfect weight, size, etc. - just feels great. Like the layout and function of the phone.

BUT then I started using it. Now I feel like all us loyal BB users who stuck with them through all the new cool phones on the other side because BB just worked for us got tossed under the bus as they threw away all the things we loved about BB in favor of bing more ilike. So disappointed. No push for POP? No BIS? No USB 2 way sync yet? No delete on BB and leave on server? No compresion? No different tones for different emails? No isheep is going to leave the iphone for features they already have and now you are going to take away many of the features that kept us BB users all these years and give us even more incentive to jump ship?

I am THE BB guy at my business. I have stuck with them and kept many of my coworkers with them while others jumped ship. Now I feel like an idiot that I stuck by them and get handed this great device that works just like the other phones I did not want to change to. I am just sick. If I lose all this, I might as well change to IOS or Android and get all the other perks that come with it.
While I agree with most of your points, you should take in account, that this is a new platform. Many things can be improved in the near future - the first iphones were not even able to cut and paste if I remember correct. Now, that has changed in a very short time. The same applies to the Blackberry 10 platform.

However, I would rather stay with Blackberry 7 and older OS then using an iphone or android or WP, when I look at the things you complain about. I found the Z10 still better (and more blackberry-like) then my iphone and my Android. I decided to wait a few month keep my current 9700, and then, test again.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #52
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

You can (and probably should) regard BB10 and OS7 devices as being from different companies. Stack them up against iPhone, Android, WP and what ever else is out there. Then go with what works best for you (hmm have a seen that before?).

I made a suggestion during the run up to OS release that RIM (now BB) move away from carrier provisioned BIS. Essentially build and provision BB10 the way they have, then market BIS access as a subscription service through BB World. (The first indications were that while the developer devices did not need BlackBerry data plans the Z/Q10 would, they obviously changed their minds.) My suggestion seemed well received but could not be implemented by release time and would be sent into the idea grinder to see what the company thought. So who know, maybe there will be a point in the future where you'll be able to choose to have BIS service or not. I happen to like the way they have set up the Z10. There are things I miss (the ability to edit the APN, BBM Music [yes I was the other person using it], push email that allowed me to get email from my ISP which is still using bear skins and stone knives. I could get all of that back by putting my Z10 back in the box, giving up my PAYG account in favor of a much more expensive BB data plan that includes a hockey sock full of voice minutes I'll never use; and go back to the 9810. That isn't going to happen. For me the Z10 is a much better phone and a much better value than any of the other options, including BB OS 7. Would I like to keep the Z10 and cherry pick the old features I want to bring forward? Sure would. I can, have and will continue to tell BlackBerry what I would like to see, but they're not going to do it just for me. Of all the moaning I've read on forums about how bad it is to live without BIS there is something missing. I haven't seen too much of it where it would do some good, in the official channels BlackBerry has set up for people to report bugs and make suggestions; where others can comment and vote for there importance. If people really do want to see BIS back for BB10, and want to pay for it, there are venues for making that message clear.

For those who may be interested in making suggestions and constructive criticism go to this link: https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa you may have to create an account.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 03-26-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Old 03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #53
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Safety

I will do just that - thank you for the link. I did send a letter and email about my frustrations on feeling like we had the rug pulled out from under us. I actually felt stupid for not checking before I bought, but the BB NOT having a 2 way Outlook sync is like asking if a new car I am looking at comes with tires. I just could never imagine that being the case. People like to do it wirelessly - I get that, but why toss those of us that can not under the bus? And can't delete from the mail box and leave on the server? That is kindergarden stuff right there - how do you leave that out?

The phone? Love it. Feels perfect. Works great and fast. Battery seems liveable, but then I never expected it to be as great as past version. You pay for performance with battery. Fact of life. Learning to live with the hub and think I could get used to it.

That is why returning it feels so bad. If they can fix some of these things, they would be right there. Maybe you are right, I need to give it another week.

It was just suck a let down to pick up this awesome new phone and one by one have my ballons poped as I used it and figured this all out.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #54
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unluky View Post
And can't delete from the mail box and leave on the server? That is kindergarden stuff right there - how do you leave that out?
I don't use outlook sync so I can't comment on that. But the semantics of how mail boxes are handled on BB10 have changed for OS 7 and before. It works more like a desktop client now, which is probably how most people expect it to work.

For example, I have Thunderbird on my desktop at work and at home. I have my personal email account configured on both. If I read and delete an email at work I don't expect to have to delete it again at home. It would be (and has been) really frustrating if I had to go around and delete it on my BlackBerry, PlayBook, iPad, etc. It is one account on an IMAP server, changes should be reflected everywhere.

Having said that, I also recognize that the BB10 implementation of this paradigm is incomplete; poor folder support, limited searching, etc. especially when compared to a desktop client. Hopefully some of those features will come.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #55
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Haven't been on BBF.com for a while...especially since I finally gave up on the stubborness of RIM to step up to the technological plate, and became an iSheep.

I have, however been a bit obsessed with the Z10 lately. I've read thread after thread here & on other boards, and have heard some good...and a ton of things not good at all. All in all, it seems to be a really unfinished alpha-device that RIM rushed to market hoping it would save the ship from going totally under water. I came here hoping to find a less-fanboyish and more objective report...and I found it in this thread. Props to NJBLACKBERRY for having the stones (even as a Moderator) to report the ugly truth.

Still on the fence...and with the Z10 dropping to Verizon tomorrow, I'm looking even stronger at the device. But, the more I see, the more I have pretty much decided to stay away for now...and see what RIM comes up with when they release the Z10-2 or whatever the next one is called. Sad, but true...this phone looks to totally please BlackBerry fans, and nobody else.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #56
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Thank you - after the shellacking I take over at that Other Board (the one you posted a very thoughtful thread on) - it is nice to hear from someone else who didn't drink the Kool-Aid. Or stopped drinking it (like I did).

It's a decent 1.0 OS on nice hardware. It still needs a lot of work.

I'd probably be angry if I had paid for it. But I am using it and a WP8 (which suits my tastes also) just hoping and waiting for an update.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #57
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I cannot believe this thread hasn't freaking moved in a whole day!!! This place needs to liven up!

The other board has 10-15 new threads a day on the Z10 forum alone. This topic, especially from a BBF moderator would easily be 15-20 pages by now!

You'd think BlackBerry WAS dead and gone from the responses around here...

Last edited by davistld01; 03-28-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #58
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

BlackBerry is somewhat dead. BBF is dead.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #59
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
BBF is dead.
'Cept for the spammers and personals section.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #60
racvincent

Carrier: Tmobile

Hi,

I've just upgraded my Blackberry from Curve 8530 to Z10 and just learning the the usage of the new hand held device.

I noticed when I'm on a call I can't view other apps like email, textmsgs, bbm and contacts.

With old phone you can click on the home button while on a call and read emails and textmsgs,

Can you please give me directions on how to?
Closed Thread