BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
doggie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Thumbs up Review: Solar Power Charger for Cellphone/Digital Camera/PDA/MP3/MP4/iPod

Please Login to Remove!

Product: Solar Power Charger for Cellphone/Digital Camera/PDA/MP3/MP4/iPod
MSRP
: $16.22
Web site: BudgetGadgets.com

Introduction

With modern gadgetry placing ever increasing demands for portable power, the Solar Power Charger comes at just the right time to save you from running out of juice while away from a wall outlet and at the same time helping out the environment.

In The Box

The charger comes in a standard (no-thrills) box with

* Charging unit (your choice of 3 different colors – pink, blue, and black)
* Four phone connectors (including connections for mini-USB, Nokia, Motorola, Sony-Ericsson, Samsung, etc)
* AC adapter

Specifications

The built-in high capacity rechargeable polymer lithium ion battery is rated 900-1100mah. There are 3 methods for charging the main battery:

1. Directly via AC Adapater in 5 hours
2. USB via PC in 5 hours
3. Direct sunlight – 10 -15 hours

Charging time is about 60 minutes – depending on your mobile device. I was able to fully charge my Blackberry Pearl in about that time.

Battery Rating: 900-1100 mah
Dimensions – 3.66 x 1.69 x 039 in
Weight – 4.12 oz

Testing

The charging time was in-line with the specifications. When using the solar charging feature, you really want the solar panel to be in direct sunlight. Indirect sunlight will take far longer to charge the battery, but still works. There is an LED indicator that is green while charging and the indicator illuminates once the battery is full.

Blackberry Pearl. The solar charge was plugged in to a half discharged Pearl. After around 30 minutes, the Pearl was fully charged.

iPod Nano 1st generation. From a completely discharged battery on the Nano, the charge was able to impact a 100% charge to the Nano in about 4 hours.

Conclusion

While I had doubts about this type of devices at first, having waste money on a Kensington Portable Power Pack for Mobile Devices which did not work on my Blackberry and trying other more expensive solar chargers, I have come to enjoy using this charger everyday. Besides a great alternative power supply for my portable devices, it will come in handy having the extra power in the car or while hiking through the wilderness. I came away with a positive impression of this device, especially at the bargain-basement price for $15 with free shipping from BudgetGadgets.com.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #2
moorken
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: ?

your review really made me curious about this product! it almost sounds like you are the budgetgadgets.com owner the way you talk about this product lol.
is it possible that the price has dropped in the meantime? i see a similar charger but it costs $12.86
Old 01-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
doggie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorken View Post
your review really made me curious about this product! it almost sounds like you are the budgetgadgets.com owner the way you talk about this product lol.
is it possible that the price has dropped in the meantime? i see a similar charger but it costs $12.86
LOL. I wish I was the owner. I am just a happy customer because I finally have a solar charger that works on my Pearl.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 AM   #4
jbeek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-mo

The $12.86 is if you buy in bulk (10+ units) ...
The single unit price is $16.22.
Closed Thread