BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #21
mettle

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers

Please Login to Remove!

after fixing some errors from the first version, i've been using the update with no problems. i also find it faster than before.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #22
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I'm using it with contacts and calendar. I was recently removed from a client's BES as their security policy changed so I'm seeing how well the BB works with just BIS or I'll look for another solution.

I'm syncing my OL calendar with Google sync on the desktop. so far, so good. On the BB I'm syncing my blackberry contacts with google contacts and the calendar.

The sync between blackberry and google contacts isn't 100%. With version 0.5.9 it messed up all the address fields on the BB. So, Address 2 had the name of the city, City had the state, you get the picture.

Now google changed their address format so in google contacts there is a blank line where address 2 would be and city, state, zip, country are all on separate lines. Now all contacts with an address2 field are correct, but I have to add a blank line in google for the other contacts. Not bad if this is a one time thing.

Also no group to category mapping. Otherwise, I'm happy and really see no need for OL except I still have a client email address so I get email and meeting invitations there using OL.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:57 AM   #23
daryl.kl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio View Post
I'm using it with contacts and calendar. I was recently removed from a client's BES as their security policy changed so I'm seeing how well the BB works with just BIS or I'll look for another solution.

I'm syncing my OL calendar with Google sync on the desktop. so far, so good. On the BB I'm syncing my blackberry contacts with google contacts and the calendar.

The sync between blackberry and google contacts isn't 100%. With version 0.5.9 it messed up all the address fields on the BB. So, Address 2 had the name of the city, City had the state, you get the picture.

Now google changed their address format so in google contacts there is a blank line where address 2 would be and city, state, zip, country are all on separate lines. Now all contacts with an address2 field are correct, but I have to add a blank line in google for the other contacts. Not bad if this is a one time thing.

Also no group to category mapping. Otherwise, I'm happy and really see no need for OL except I still have a client email address so I get email and meeting invitations there using OL.

Regards-Michael G.
You are having Address 2 with the name of city and city had the state because Google Syncs every line in the BlackBerry address book. What I mean is that if you have every line (address line 1, address line 2, city, state, zip code, country, etc) filled up with something instead of leaving it blank, you won't have this problem.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:54 PM   #24
mezer

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

It did not fix my issue. After every sync, the phone numbers disappear from the address book on the blackberry, and i get java script errors when going into calllog. I have to pull battery, and everything is back.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #25
Jaime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

I started to sync again and it's working now. Still looks too slow to me.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:33 PM   #26
e_momo

Carrier: Rogers

I loaded up the app, and it was somehow set for contact sync to be on by default! T_T Minor changes to all my contacts!
Old 11-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #27
Jaime

Looks like it's working ok. Now we just need google buy remember the milk and release milksync for free
Old 11-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #28
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've been using google calendar sync to on the blackberry - and had been using it at work for Outlook as well. But after umpteen years of living by Microsoft Office, Outlook, etc, I'm finally looking into alternatives. This is partially inspired by the fact that I'm getting tired of Outlook's periodic quirky behavior, partly due to my continued preference for Firefox over IE, and the success a couple of my developers are having as I have them build out a few open source development environments and software stacks. My perspective is changing.

Anyway - I experimented with Thunderbird last week at work, using Lightning and the google calendar provider, and the Zindus add-on for contact sync. I had moved our office to the use of Google Apps Pro version of GMail as our corporate provider, and it's worked quite well for the past 6 months -- except for the fact that I like IMAP interfaces and use the GMail IMAP interface with Outlook and it is AWFUL - Outlook may connect to IMAP servers, but it is klutsy and slow, and seizes up constantly.

On the other hand, Thunderbird, with Lighting and the google calendar provider, and Zindus for contact synching with Outlook works beautifully. Now, with virtually no effort, I have email (T-Mobile BIS), calendar and contacts (Thunderbird, Lighting, Zindus) all sync'd with my Curve. Very nice -- and Thunderbird is a pleasure to use against the GMail IMAP interface.

This appears to be working so well that I'm on the verge of moving all our other locations and users over to Thunderbird as well.

- Jon
Old 11-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #29
Jaime

Does gsync syncronize groups in bb address book?

Best,
Jaime
Old 11-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #30
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Any brave man syncing contacts again? Please keep us informed

Best,
Jaime
After what happened with 0.5.9 I think foolish might be the right word. That said, I am foolish enough to try 0.5.11 and haven't had any problems that I had before (contacts with many duplicate addresses in Gmail), or any other problems that I can see. A quick spot check of the Gmail contacts looked good. I'll be doing a thorough comparison of my BB contacts from before and after the update to see what (if anything) has changed.

BTW, I realize that using multiple decimals in a numbering system already makes the the "number" meaningless, but wouldn't wouldn't 0.5.11 be considered a lower number than 0.5.9?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #31
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Does gsync syncronize groups in bb address book?

Best,
Jaime
No groups names don't sync.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #32
jerseyboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: VZ

anyone know where i can find a non-ota, PC install version of google sync?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #33
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMike View Post
BTW, I realize that using multiple decimals in a numbering system already makes the the "number" meaningless, but wouldn't wouldn't 0.5.11 be considered a lower number than 0.5.9?
This is a version numbering system and not a system based on quantity and value. Each subsequent decimal point (left to right) signifies a version hierarchy. Numbers to the furthest right, are most often considered minor revision increments.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:35 PM   #34
UncleMike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ch me, I must be dreaming

I think I was right... FOOLISH is the word. Twelve hours after my previous post, I find that I'm missing 14 contacts on my BB (they're also missing from Gmail), and at least one contact's phone numbers are missing. I have again disabled Google Sync's synchronizing of contacts, and restored my address book from backup.

The weird part is that I exported to an ASCII file immediately before updating Google Sync and enabling contact synchronization, and again just now, and compared the files. The only differences were the missing contacts. For the contact on my BB where the phone numbers appear to be missing, the phone numbers were actually included in the ASCII file. That same contact also had the phone numbers listed in Gmail's contacts. The BB can't see the phone numbers - they don't appear when I display/edit the contact, and incoming calls from the contact appear as the number only, with no name.

While I imagine that synchronizing contacts is more complicated than it may appear on the surface, the BB address book is pretty rigidly structured, and Gmail's storage structure should be pretty familiar to Google, so... what's the problem? Do they even test this stuff at all before making it available? Does anybody at Google even own a Blackberry?

I'm inclined to skip the next version entirely.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #35
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
anyone know where i can find a non-ota, PC install version of google sync?
There is a version that syncs Outlook with Google Calendar, but I don't think it does contacts. Then you can use Desktop Manager to sync the Blackberry with Outlook. Round about way but it should get you want you want.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #36
Jaime

Call Log is suffering from Gsync updates. I have to restart the phone frequently.

Best,
Jaime
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #37
dualsub2006

Model: Droid
PIN: Head

Here is an official response from a Google employee about the sync and call log issues. In short, users on OS 4.5 should disable sync until they fix it.

SYNC ANNOUNCEMENT: BlackBerry OS 4.5 users please disable contact sync - Google Mobile Help
Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #38
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Okay I need some additional info.

I use Google sync for calendar only. Currently me and the wife have one calendar on google where we post all of our events. I'd like to split things up so she has her calendar and I have mine.

I know adding each other's calendar in Google give the ability of viewing events, color coded of course.

So in google sync on the BB bold - I set sync to default, correct?
1. will I see both calendar events on the BB?
2. will each calendar show up differently or be merged on the default BB calendar?
3. if merged can deletes/adds/changes only be applied to my calendar or will if affect the other calendar?

So confusing......
Old 12-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #39
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Okay I need some additional info.

I use Google sync for calendar only. Currently me and the wife have one calendar on google where we post all of our events. I'd like to split things up so she has her calendar and I have mine.

I know adding each other's calendar in Google give the ability of viewing events, color coded of course.

So in google sync on the BB bold - I set sync to default, correct?
1. will I see both calendar events on the BB?
2. will each calendar show up differently or be merged on the default BB calendar?
3. if merged can deletes/adds/changes only be applied to my calendar or will if affect the other calendar?

So confusing......

1.When you set up seperate Calendars on Google you will have an option to show "other calendars" in the bottom left corner. Whatever Calendar you check there will show up on your Google calendar and be synched with your BB.

2. They are merged and you cannot differentiate between your appointments and your wife's

3. Deletes adds and changes will change on your calendar. If you have the ability to change appointments on your wife's calendar that item will change on both. You are really just viewing her items otherwise.

Hope that helps,
John
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #40
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Thanks John.....

That clears up some of my questions. How about if you mark the event Private on the BB - will it still sync?
Closed Thread