BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
revg

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: telus
Default vis studio app push to bb. BES with no exchange?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Guys,

I have created a blackberry app using visual studio 2005 plugin and I have it working, but now I need to get it onto my blackberry for a demo.

I have downloaded BES express (1 user license) so that I could publish my app to the MDS repository. However I am unable to install BES express because I do not have microsoft exchange server. I dont even care about the email stuff, I just want to be able to get my app onto my blackberry.

Is there a way to install the BES express with out having microsoft exchange? If not is there any other way to get my app onto my blackberry?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 02-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
brcewane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

You can try getting a copy of Application BES Research In Motion

It doesn't require Email
Old 02-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
revg

Is there a free version or do I have to pay for it?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by revg View Post
Is there a free version or do I have to pay for it?
There is no free version of BES for MDS.
You need to buy it.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
revg

So I seriously have to purchase a $3000 piece of software just to upload my application that I created in vis studio to my blackberry for a demo? There is no other way?

That's brutal. Doesn't RIM want developers to create software for their devices? Because if they do this is not a smart way to encourage that to happen IMO.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by revg View Post
So I seriously have to purchase a $3000 piece of software just to upload my application that I created in vis studio to my blackberry for a demo? There is no other way?

That's brutal. Doesn't RIM want developers to create software for their devices? Because if they do this is not a smart way to encourage that to happen IMO.
If you want to push the application to the device, then you need BES.

If you don't care about wireless app push... then you can put your app on the device other ways.

Such as:
Use BlackBerry Desktop Manager and install the app using the application loader.
(application in .alx/.cod format)

Use a web server and make an OTA downloadable file for the device.
(application in .jar/.jad format)
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
revg

Yea that's what I have been trying to do.

The visual studio plugin outputs a .JAR file, but no .JAD file. So I tried to create my own .JAD and then used a JAR to COD conversion utility from Brandon Swift Creations to create a .COD/.ALX combination and loaded my app onto the blackberry with desktop manager, but it came up with an error when I tried to launch my app. The application I am using to test right now is just a form with nothing on it that does nothing, so I figured that the conversion tool must not be working for the JAR files that are output by visual studio.

Is there some tool that I am unaware of that will help me convert my vis studio .JAR into a .COD/.ALX combination?

Last edited by revg; 02-26-2008 at 01:49 PM..
Old 02-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
brcewane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

You cannot put an MDS Runtime application (produced by MDS Studio or the Visual Studio Plug-in) on the device without a BES.

Its current deployment model is entirely around the Enterprise and having the BES admin add applications to people's devices.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
revg

Ok thanks for that info. At least I know it's impossbile to publish a blackberry app created with visual studio without the BES.

I guess I will do my demo using the emulator on laptop until I have time to get all of the server software I need.

If anyone from RIM is listening I think you should provide a way for visual studio developers to get their applications on the blackberry without having to install microsoft exchange, BES, and then having configure all that software for days on end. I don't need all that email junk on my system and I dont want to have to purchase Microsoft Exchange and/or BES just to be able to deploy my application. It's ridiculous if you ask me.

Cheers,
Greg

Last edited by revg; 02-26-2008 at 02:53 PM..
Closed Thread