BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #41
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

It's really too bad this phone will come out prior to the FCC making it illegal for a phone maker to lock in with a carrier (you know about that coming up, right?). I had VZN for years, they were OK as long as you didn't mind paying little extra monthly fees for everything and disabling stuff that other phones had that were fun (you couldn't even make your own RTs for the Chocolate). I ditched them because Tmob got the 8100, which was cool phone of the year at the time, and my wife ditched her LG EnV (now there's a real POS for you) for the same reason. To me touchscreen itself is nothing but a gimmic, the Pearl trackball is way better for selecting thing, but I love the size of the screen on the iPhone over the Pearl a lot. The Thunder will get a look from me, but VZN had better not mess it up much (but they probably will, and charge a lot for it). I'm not hopeful that the 9500 will sway me over the iphone2 or the Bold.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #42
bigbody300

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

that is a awesome keyboard!!
Old 05-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #43
jerseykat1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbai View Post
I'm not too up on bberry news so i could definitly be wrong.

One of the things I was looking at with the Curve was wifi capability. Verizon Curves dont have it. Other curves do... is this true? ?

if so thats one thing that verizon screwed us out of.
Wifi is not needed if your on a carrier like verizon that actually has usable data speeds. I have a htc mogul with wifi I used the phone a week. My conclusion was that wifi was not needed, my data speeds on EVDO was amazingly fast. Wifi only killed my battery.

Most verizon and sprint devices don't come with wifi because its not needed. I am posting from my curve right now and not using the wap version of this website. The way I see it is that its pointless to have a shinney new device that can be outpaced by older devices. Not really an upgrade now is it. And att 3g network is not as large as verizons or sprints, so if your expecting to get broadband speeds on your shinney new device, you may want to check your area for coverage first. Or tether yourself to a starbucks with wifi. Touchscreen is for teenagers I use my BB to do real life things that a touchscreen just won't work for. Nothing against att or tmobile but. Fact is every carrier has their hooks. Sprint has fast data at a great price, verizon has fast data and reliability, att and tmobile has shinney new devices. That's just how the world works.

Last edited by jerseykat1; 05-26-2008 at 04:34 PM..
Old 05-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #44
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
It's really too bad this phone will come out prior to the FCC making it illegal for a phone maker to lock in with a carrier (you know about that coming up, right?). I had VZN for years, they were OK as long as you didn't mind paying little extra monthly fees for everything and disabling stuff that other phones had that were fun (you couldn't even make your own RTs for the Chocolate). I ditched them because Tmob got the 8100, which was cool phone of the year at the time, and my wife ditched her LG EnV (now there's a real POS for you) for the same reason. To me touchscreen itself is nothing but a gimmic, the Pearl trackball is way better for selecting thing, but I love the size of the screen on the iPhone over the Pearl a lot. The Thunder will get a look from me, but VZN had better not mess it up much (but they probably will, and charge a lot for it). I'm not hopeful that the 9500 will sway me over the iphone2 or the Bold.
I have lots of custom ringtones on my sons chocolate. So anything is possible if you know how to do it. I carried a nextel for years and we always customized them even though nextel said it wasnt possible.

And Name one thing other than the GPS thats locked out of any verizon BB. You folks act like they lock everything oiut when its only one thing and then its not locked out you just have to pay for it.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #45
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I have lots of custom ringtones on my sons chocolate. So anything is possible if you know how to do it. I carried a nextel for years and we always customized them even though nextel said it wasnt possible.

And Name one thing other than the GPS thats locked out of any verizon BB. You folks act like they lock everything oiut when its only one thing and then its not locked out you just have to pay for it.
I did the custom RTs too, sent 'em back and forth, but I hate messing with workarounds. To get music on the EnV you had to buy a $30 software CD from Verizon, or (like me) you had to find it on the web from somebody on a forum. You gotta pay for GPS, free with other carriers. You gotta pay to tether, free with other carriers. I know how to cheat Verizon too, I just got tired of it. I could txt for free, download the songs for free sometimes, tether for free (you gotta lie), but I just got tired of it. It's a good network, but you know as well as I do that if they had a regular network they'd be as gone as Barry Bonds. And don't get me started on the people at their stores pulling the ancient, time-tested "oh, looky, your battery shows it's been wet. We can't replace that Chocolate that just broke in half."<stops rant thankfully>

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-26-2008 at 05:45 PM..
Old 05-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #46
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9

You have to work around things on all networks. I know you think I am a fanboy and thats fine if you want to say that. I am just saying you have to work around things on other networks as well.

I had to work around alot of stuff on nextel and sprint. My daughters bill is always screwed up on ATT. No carrier is perfect. I just get sick of the constant bashing on verizon when the other carriers are just as bad at times.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #47
TheBigNewt

I think Verizon is fine, but expensive for what I want. My 3 daughters love it, most of their friends have it and I had no problems with it for years either. When you're #1 you take shots from people (like me) who became disenamored with them. I went Tmob for the Pearl itself. It was free and for $65/month I get what I need, and can roam on ATT to boot. If Verizon comes along with a better deal on a great phone I'm there.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-26-2008 at 07:22 PM..
Old 05-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #48
SDCromer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

I like it! This will be a great replacement for my 8830.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #49
vZwire
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: Blue, Ball point
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I talked to my contact from RIM today. Either he's being very honest and has heard zero info on the Thunder....or he has bee told to keep a tight lid on any info. Hmmm...
Old 06-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #50
davidlleroy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 301880B6

I'm so torn on this one. I'm amped for this new BB to come to verizon. I just can't see myself leaving a qwerty keypad for a touch screen.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #51
Wishdemon

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Looks like BGR got a real nice photo of the thunder...and unfortunately, looks like its going to VZW...

BlackBerry Thunder live shot, damn wexxx8217;re good! : Boy Genius Report
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #52
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlleroy View Post
I'm so torn on this one. I'm amped for this new BB to come to verizon. I just can't see myself leaving a qwerty keypad for a touch screen.
I thought the same thing when I got my iphone. Its not bad, I can type quite quickly with it. It might not do if you are a heavy, heavy user, but for light to moderate users it should work just fine.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #53
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishdemon View Post
Looks like BGR got a real nice photo of the thunder...and unfortunately, looks like its going to VZW...

BlackBerry Thunder live shot, damn we’re good! : Boy Genius Report
Looks nice. Have to see how the touch interface will work.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #54
deathbyart
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I really hope this isn't a lifetime exclusive. I love my curve, but I would still like the option to check this out. I get so frustrated at "exclusive" phones.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:06 PM   #55
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyart View Post
I really hope this isn't a lifetime exclusive. I love my curve, but I would still like the option to check this out. I get so frustrated at "exclusive" phones.
It is, unless Verizon fails to meet a set sales quota.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #56
bakerfall
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
It is, unless Verizon fails to meet a set sales quota.
Well, this version of it is. Just like ATT can advertise the 8310 as an exclusive in the states. Doesn't mean there won't be a slightly different version out for other carriers. I'd be surprised if there wasn't.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #57
PPCMD

Model: 8820

Knowing RIM its a lifetime exclusive to that model which sounds like it will be CDMA/GSM World Phone since it is a Vodafone/Verizon exclusive. This would help the person over at BGR who was saying that phone would suck in Japan, guess not.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #58
JonFolse

Model: 8320
PIN: 2439760D
Carrier: t-mobile

I was so excited bout this phone until I realized it was verizon exclusive. BOOO!!!! I wonder if there will be future touchscreens for tmobile. Hope so
JohnFolse12 (AIM) Jonfolse09 (yahoo)Jbfolse (gtalk)
Pin 2162BAA0
Please follow n subscribe:
Tha All Around Blog
Old 06-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #59
newtonjack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: att
Default RIMM stealing some of Apple's Thunder

by leaking this pic a day before Jobs announcment tomorrow.

PS Pun intended.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:21 PM   #60
kahmed94

Model: 8310
PIN: ball
Carrier: tmobile

looks more like a Iphone/blackberry.... an "IBERRY"
Closed Thread