Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
sloebereu

Model: 7800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: dunno
Default Strange way to work...

Please Login to Remove!

We work as most admins would i think, we set the mailbox (novell groupwise) as the master.

My boss made me test the following on a freshly created mailbox to see if the blackberry dumps all the excisting mails(appointment and calendar) into the new mailbox b4 we try it on his mailbox.

One of our bb users wants the following:

He wants to switch to a newer blackberry (nothing to it huh ) BUT

First of all hes blackberry is broken (thank god he had a backup) and i need to dump this data back on another bb......thats going ok also.

NOW, this person uses his bb mailbox as his master (meaning he works more on his bb then directly in his mailbox).

What i need to do is make his bb master over his mailbox so the data from the blackberry syncs to his mailbox.

I set the PIMsync options for that USER so the blackberry is the master on conflicts.

i activated the bb to the new (test)mailbox and all he seems to sync are the contacts and his tasks.......no mails or calendar are being sync.

Could it be something with the policy ?

thnx guys
Old 05-16-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Sorry if I am misunderstanding, but... what data are you trying to synch from a BB to a mailbox?

The whole design of BES is that data is pulled from the mailbox and sent to the handheld when an EA is started. Some data (such as address book etc) passes back, but mail does not.

I would assume that half the problem here is that you are activating a new BB for a "test user" mailbox, which probably does not contain any data... thus why no email or calendar . As mentioned, if a BB has address book data then during an EA the BES will try and "merge " this with the existing referenced address book, but mail does not work this way. BES will scan the mailfile for the volume of mail as specified in BES prepopulation, and send it down to the device.

So as far as I can see, everything appears to be working?
Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
sloebereu

correct, thats what they are asking of me, to sync the bb to the mailbox instead of the other way around.

I presume it just isnt possible?

i am just a helpdesk employee doing all i can to get the job done, i am not the system/network admin.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Sorry, I am really not trying to be difficult, but I just cannot work out what you are trying to achieve.

The BB and mailbox SYNCH. There should not be any differences between the two. The mailbox will always be the "master" data store, as the BES agents read data from the mailfile and synch it to the BB, not the other way round. It doesn't matter whether a user works more on their BB or mailfile - everything should synch. The only time it would not be a 100% synch is if you have set the BB to NOT send deletions in mail back to the mailfile, but everything else (unread marks, filed messages, etc) is synched.

If you users BB broke, just set him up on a new one. Job done.

If you can explain what data you think is "orphaned" on the BB that you are trying to save, maybe I can help you more. But from your answer it sounds like you have restored data from one BB to another, then activated the BB on a mailbox belonging to a (totally different) test user, and are wondering why mail isn't flowing from the restored BB to the testuser mailbox - it just doesn't work that way. More to the point, I can't think of a reason as to WHY you'd want this to work?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
sloebereu

ok, thnx for the help.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
sloebereu

answer was actually pretty simple, i synchronized the blackberry to the mailbox simply with blackberry desktop manager (this way you can kinda force the data to the mailbox).
Worked like a charm.
Closed Thread