BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve
Carrier: tmo
Default Delineo Mail2Fax, how does it work?

Please Login to Remove!

I downloaded Mail2Fax from delineo.de but can't seem to figure out what it's exactly meant to do, it looks like their service will send out the fax for you, is that right?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #2
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Delineo Mail2Fax, how does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
I downloaded Mail2Fax from delineo.de but can't seem to figure out what it's exactly meant to do, it looks like their service will send out the fax for you, is that right?
I believe that is the purpose of the software.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Delineo Mail2Fax, how does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOObydoo
I believe that is the purpose of the software.
lol... That part I got, but who pay for the fax, is it sent from Germany? I checked their website and even though I understand German I couldn't find answers to these questions, I just wanted to see if anyone here had ever used it before I drop them an email...
Old 08-26-2004, 09:00 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

There are tons of email-to-fax and fax-to-email services; why not get a North American one that can do Plain English that's easier to understand! Some of them work great on the BlackBerry!

You can even get a fax number with some of these services (so you don't have to have a fax machine on your premises) and you automatically get emailed a TIFF document or a PDF document or even a .DOC attachment as an attachment by email, CC'd to both your desktop and Blackberry. And keeps a copy of the fax on a fax webmail site. Some of these are viewable on the Blackberry itself, or if the attachment is not viewable on the Blackberry, it at least serves as a notification for you to login to the fax webmail service or to your desktop computer.

And many of these services allows you to send outgoing faxes simply by sending an email to a special email address, such as:
Quote:
To: [email address]
Subject: 18005551212

Hi,

This is a test fax.
And this works too:
Quote:
To: [email address]
Subject: 18005551212
Attachment: ThisIsATestFax.doc
The phone number in the subject is automatically dialed.
Your email address is registered with the service, so they know it's you and caller-ID is automatically filled with your virtual fax phone number.
The attached .doc and the email body is automatically transmitted as a fax.
The transmittal pages are automatically added for you.
No software to download.
No software to install.
All allow you to send/receive faxes from any Internet connected computer.
No physical line or fax machine needed.
For incoming faxes, they are emailed to you as attachments.
You are billed to your fax account a specific charge.
There's dozens of services like this, just google 'Email Fax'. (example: www.efax.com)

Just find some easy-to-use service, there's dozens of services out there, and many of them don't even require any software at all! Don't bother with installing software, I prefer the ones that allows you to email attachments to (many accepts almost any format of attachments, automatically converting them to faxes). Many of them actually cheaper than paying for a fax phone line too -- and you get a dedicated fax phone number too in any area code, as if you had a fax machine there with no need for PIN's, etc.

The only time you really want to install software is simply if you want to convert fax image files into text files. (free OCR software included with some fax services). Other times, some fax services offer a special printer driver so you can print the document to a fax which automatically gets emailed to the service for the actual transmission. (This works with scanners too for those times you want to fax hardcopies over an email-to-fax service -- you press the "Print" button on the scanner and select the special printer driver). Works best with scanners that have a built-in document feeder so you can send multiple-page faxes just as easily as a real fax machine. A scanner is ONLY needed if you ever need to send hardcopies as faxes to a fax-to-email service.

Hope this helps explain to you exacxtly how email-to-fax services work. They are convenient when you need fax capability without a fax machine!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 08-27-2004, 02:58 AM   #5
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for that Mark, your "how to" guides are becoming extremely valuable!
Old 08-27-2004, 03:02 AM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Thanks!

Although email-to-fax is not exactly related to BlackBerry, it might be worthwhile for me to make this a separate thread since BlackBerry is the most capable device because it has the ability to view most types of common file attachments, including those sent from an email-to-fax / fax-to-email service.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread