BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Angry Now that the Sprint 8830 is available...

Please Login to Remove!

I had sent a note to Verizon a couple of days ago regarding the GPS being disabled. Below is my response to their response which is also below.
---------------------------------------
Gerald,

Unfortunately, I consider this an unacceptable answer.

Sprint has released their 8830 with the GPS capabilities enabled.
Since I am still within my first 30 days, I am strongly considering canceling my Verizon service and switching over to Sprint and their new Blackberry 8830 ( BlackBerry(r) 8830 World Edition powered by Sprint Fact Sheet ) and ( Sprint Announces BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone )

If you have been informed by Verizon management that the 8830 does not have user accessible GPS capability, I believe that is not correct. I believe Verizon has deliberately disabled the GPS capabilities.

So, I am looking for a solution, not a form letter. If I do not get a satisfactory answer by 12:00pm EST Tuesday, I will likely be canceling my Verizon service.

-----------------------------------------------------
On 6/29/07, Verizon Wireless Customer Service NE <vzwkanaCustServiceNYNJ@gl.verizonwireless.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Gerald, and I am happy to assist you regarding Verizon Wireless GPS capabilities.

I notice you recently activated service with us, and I am excited to welcome you to Verizon Wireless! I am confident you will come to love our great network coverage and excellent customer service.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Verizon wireless does no charge for the ability to use GPS services.

The GPS locator chip, which is present in all wireless, phones we currently sell (with the exception of the Blackberry 6750), is used solely for tracking purposes by Emergency 911 Services and does not function like a typical GPS device.

Verizon Wireless cannot guarantee that you will be systematically located after dialing 911 from your wireless phone. In many places Public Safety still relies on the caller's descriptions to locate those in need. Enhancements to the Public Safety 911 system will make it possible for Public Safety to read your callback number and to estimate your location. However, given the many variables with wireless radio service, no design will be perfect. There are three different phases that the FCC requires for this service. We have listed them below for your convenience:

First: The FCC requires wireless carriers to provide Enhanced 911 call identification capability when requested by each of the approximately 6,000 state/local PSAPs (Public Safety Answering Points) nationwide.

Second: The FCC's Phase I Enhanced 911 rules require wireless carriers to automatically provide PSAP with the telephone number of the 911 caller and the location of the cell site used to originate the 911 call.

Third: Phase II Enhanced 911 rules requires wireless carriers to automatically provide the telephone number of the 911 caller and far more precise location information, within 50 to 100 meters in most cases.

The first two steps have been implemented, however the third step (Phase II) is still in progress. Please note: The deployment of Phase II E911 capability is complicated because it requires improvements to the capabilities of a number of parties -- vendors, wireless carriers, landline carriers and PSAPs -- to succeed. Also, the customer must have a Verizon Wireless GPS handset. Each party has to be absolutely certain that they are capable of supporting the required service enhancement when necessary. Verizon Wireless has devoted significant resources to upgrading its nationwide network to be able to provide Phase II E911 service when requested by Public Safety. Until such time when the PSAPs upgrade their systems, calls made from E911-capable handsets to 911 call centers that are not yet equipped, will still go through as usual. However, the 911 call centers will not be able to read and use the GPS-generated location information and may still need to rely on the caller to identify the location of the emergency.

I apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused.

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Gerald
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service

If you have received this e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and deleting it and all copies and backups thereof. If you are the intended recipient and are a Verizon Wireless customer, this response is subject to the terms of your Customer Agreement.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Message Body:
Verizon needs to enable the GPS in the Blackberry 8830. Other carriers are starting to release their 8830s with the GPS enabled and usable without additional charges. If Verizon doesn't open up free usage of the GPS capability there are many, including myself, who will be likely to switch to a carrier who doesn't arbitrarily disable this important feature.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
saldous
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I would love to have it working on mine too. If the chip is there then why disable it?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldous View Post
I would love to have it working on mine too. If the chip is there then why disable it?
Greed.

I believe they want to be able to launch a pay service to use the GPS feature.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #4
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I'll be switching my 3 phones to sprint by the end of the month, with the purchase of an 8830 and a data plan -- when my verizon contract is up.

I would have stuck with verizon except for this issue of the GPS.

I like the silver VZW 8830 phone better too -- the numbers/letters on the keys with the black background of the Sprint phone are much harder to read than on the silver VZW 8830.

Truth be told though -- I am really going to miss my treo with the touch screen keypad. But the firm I work for, whose IT policy I must accept if I want corporate e-mail, disables bluetooth. On the BB, they can disable bluetooth data while allowing bluetooth for voice; in the palm, there is no such distinction. So, goodbye palm (after 10 years).
Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Well, that does it. No GPS service for the Verizon.

So...
Here is the response I got to my last note to Verizon:
--------------------------------------
Dear Mr. zzzzzzzz,

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless through our website. My name is Terrance, and I am happy to assist you regarding GPS.

I apologize for any inconvenience; however, the GPS capabilities you are inquiring about will not be available.

We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless products and services. Should you have additional questions or concerns, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Terrance
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service
--------------------------------------------------

As a result of this last note, I'll be canceling my Verizon service in a couple of days. Fortunately, there is great coverage in my area from all the major carriers.

Last edited by brittonx; 07-03-2007 at 08:32 PM..
Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
RoC1909
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
I had sent a note to Verizon a couple of days ago regarding the GPS being disabled. Below is my response to their response which is also below.
---------------------------------------
Gerald,

Unfortunately, I consider this an unacceptable answer.

Sprint has released their 8830 with the GPS capabilities enabled.
Since I am still within my first 30 days, I am strongly considering canceling my Verizon service and switching over to Sprint and their new Blackberry 8830 ( BlackBerry(r) 8830 World Edition powered by Sprint Fact Sheet ) and ( Sprint Announces BlackBerry 8830 World Edition Smartphone )
Do you not do your HOMEWORK before buying a product!! Verizon has NEVER STATED that the 8830 comes with GPS or AT LEAST, a GPS to the effect of navigation and ONLY for E911 services. You were the one who bought the 8830 BASED on what RIM has said and not on what the service provider mentioned.

YES - RIM has mentioned that the 8830 is GPS 'CAPABLE' but that certain service providers MAY offer this feature or not.
NO - Verizon has NEVER MENTIONED that the 8830 COMES with GPS or if they have, it's under the context of the GPS working with VZNavigator.

Why do you people constantly ***** and complain about something that is not available?? Frankly, if I was GERALD at Verizon, I would have told you to RTFM next time and to not let the door hit you on the way out!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoC1909 View Post
Do you not do your HOMEWORK before buying a product!! Verizon has NEVER STATED that the 8830 comes with GPS or AT LEAST, a GPS to the effect of navigation and ONLY for E911 services. You were the one who bought the 8830 BASED on what RIM has said and not on what the service provider mentioned.

YES - RIM has mentioned that the 8830 is GPS 'CAPABLE' but that certain service providers MAY offer this feature or not.
NO - Verizon has NEVER MENTIONED that the 8830 COMES with GPS or if they have, it's under the context of the GPS working with VZNavigator.

Why do you people constantly ***** and complain about something that is not available?? Frankly, if I was GERALD at Verizon, I would have told you to RTFM next time and to not let the door hit you on the way out!
Well pal, I asked the rep on the phone when I purchased it if the unit had GPS capability and I was told 'Yes it does." So, I feel I have a right to be angry.

Last edited by brittonx; 07-03-2007 at 10:15 PM..
Old 07-04-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
I would actually expect that reaction from Verizon, as they really couldn't care less if you like them or not. They are big and there are plenty of people out there who don't know any better and choose Verizon for the that stupid "its the network" commercial.
Verizon pulls this type of crap all the time. I also love how there "unlimited" data plan is really capped and not really unlimited. Its this type of sneaky, underhanded, bulls**t that keeps me from ever being a Verizon customer. Do yourself a favor and come over to Sprint. You will be happier in the long run.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #9
ibmman69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 32c04a31

My sprint 8830 arrived yesterday and so far I am very happy. It also has stereo bluetooth which vzw doesn't have.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
mikejaret

Carrier: verizon

does the sprint 8830 use both speakers when it rings like it does in the media player.......

thats my biggest gripe with the vzw one! also does it lock up when you recieve a call while MAKING a call?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittonx View Post
Well pal, I asked the rep on the phone when I purchased it if the unit had GPS capability and I was told 'Yes it does." So, I feel I have a right to be angry.
You can be angry but anyone who has been around for a while knows to NEVER believe a sales rep. They will tell you anything.

You can only return you phone if within the return period.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
FroogleThis

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Sorry to hear that, but as you surely realize, it's not TOO big of a surprise.

I am with Sprint, and can personally speak to their coverage as being great. Phone came out a little late, but whatever. TeleNav is worth the $10/month.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #13
harryzuluberries

PIN: DUPONT FIFTH AVENUE LARGE ORPHEO ROLLERBALL
Carrier: the Titanic

Quote:

ummmm, bitter a little? LOL!!

7510>7520>7100i>8830>8330>9630
Old 07-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #14
Runamuck
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:

You'd make a SUPERB customer service rep for Verizon. Do you need an application?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

lol @ at the sprint users jumping in. I had sprint for about 3 years (a while back) and each year I moved to a different location and each year I was told by customer service, "sorry sir, you live RIIIIIGHT on the edge of our coverage area". So for three years I could rarely talk on my cell phone at home and I HAD to have it charging or it would die throughout the night trying to connect to the less than decent network. I live in VA JUST outside of D.C. ... so no I don't live in the stix.. I would say about 90% of all sprint users I talk to or even other carrier users have nothing but bad stuff to say about sprint. Hopefully they have changed recently or I couldn't imagine how the few of you seem to get the great coverage that they advertise. I had a conversation with a few BB users yesterday and some of them switched from sprint a couple of months ago and had nothing but negative comments about the coverage.

in the end. all carriers are going to have people that don't get GREAT or perfect coverage that they advertise.. but i rarely find a Verizon user complaining about coverage... or even cingular for that matter. Tmobile / sprint.. and the other small ones I hear on a regular basis.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #16
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 32B21BE5
Carrier: Sprint, Power up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I'll be switching my 3 phones to sprint by the end of the month, with the purchase of an 8830 and a data plan -- when my verizon contract is up.

I would have stuck with verizon except for this issue of the GPS.

I like the silver VZW 8830 phone better too -- the numbers/letters on the keys with the black background of the Sprint phone are much harder to read than on the silver VZW 8830.

Truth be told though -- I am really going to miss my treo with the touch screen keypad. But the firm I work for, whose IT policy I must accept if I want corporate e-mail, disables bluetooth. On the BB, they can disable bluetooth data while allowing bluetooth for voice; in the palm, there is no such distinction. So, goodbye palm (after 10 years).

I have been using Sprint GPS for quite some time now. It works great!!!
The 8830 is better than the 8703e. One of the great features offered by TeleNav is congestion avoidance. In the event of high traffic you can have TeleNav give you an alternate route to your destination.

PIN: 32B11BE5
Old 07-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #17
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
lol @ at the sprint users jumping in. I had sprint for about 3 years (a while back) and each year I moved to a different location and each year I was told by customer service, "sorry sir, you live RIIIIIGHT on the edge of our coverage area". So for three years I could rarely talk on my cell phone at home and I HAD to have it charging or it would die throughout the night trying to connect to the less than decent network. I live in VA JUST outside of D.C. ... so no I don't live in the stix.. I would say about 90% of all sprint users I talk to or even other carrier users have nothing but bad stuff to say about sprint. Hopefully they have changed recently or I couldn't imagine how the few of you seem to get the great coverage that they advertise. I had a conversation with a few BB users yesterday and some of them switched from sprint a couple of months ago and had nothing but negative comments about the coverage.

in the end. all carriers are going to have people that don't get GREAT or perfect coverage that they advertise.. but i rarely find a Verizon user complaining about coverage... or even cingular for that matter. Tmobile / sprint.. and the other small ones I hear on a regular basis.
Speak for your self. I have had Sprint and I drive to VA and don't have issues with coverage using voice or data. Although VA need to install more towers or cut down some trees, better yet move some mountains.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwiz01 View Post
Speak for your self. I have had Sprint and I drive to VA and don't have issues with coverage using voice or data. Although VA need to install more towers or cut down some trees, better yet move some mountains.
mountains?? I live in northern VA near D.C.. no mountains anywhere around
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #19
netwiz01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroogleThis View Post
Sorry to hear that, but as you surely realize, it's not TOO big of a surprise.

I am with Sprint, and can personally speak to their coverage as being great. Phone came out a little late, but whatever. TeleNav is worth the $10/month.

Yes, I agree TeleNav is worth every penny. I like calling in and having the support personnel push the directions to my Blackberry.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 AM   #20
birddog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwiz01 View Post
I have been using Sprint GPS for quite some time now. It works great!!!
The 8830 is better than the 8703e. One of the great features offered by TeleNav is congestion avoidance. In the event of high traffic you can have TeleNav give you an alternate route to your destination.
I am glad to hear this..

I live in NJ too. VZW is generally known to have the best coverage here, I am glad to hear positive comments from a Sprint user in NJ.

Also being from NJ, I am looking forward to traffic reports. I have navigation in my car, but not traffic. I was planning on using GPS primarily in my wife's minivan (our weekend family traveler) that does not have GPS -- but the traffic is a very nice added bonus.
Closed Thread