BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
rollerbones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Sold iPhone, going back to Blackberry..

Please Login to Remove!

I have been without a Blackberry for 4 years. I waited in line for the first iPhone and have ever since had the current version. I had the iPhone 4 and just sold it on eBay for $700 and heading to AT&T Monday to pick up the Torch for $500. (I will actually make money!)
As much as I loved the iPhone (still do) I want something different, the OS has basically been the same and with the iPhone 4 it freezes on me and wife once in a while... Just not as good as i would of hoped.

Anybody have experiences with both on what they like better or worse? I heard that we would use less data then the iPhone? Any truth to that?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Welcome back. Made a good choice. I am really liking the 9800, but it does take some getting used to.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
signem
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT
Default iphone to Blackberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerbones View Post
Anybody have experiences with both on what they like better or worse? I heard that we would use less data then the iPhone? Any truth to that?

Thanks!
I had the first iphone and went to the iphone4. I kept it for 2 days and returned it. I was not impressed. The only difference in the things I care about was speed and not enough to commit to a new contract. But the other major thing was that the new data plan seemed to start calculating data differently. When I had unlimited, I averaged 30MB a month. With the new data plan, I saw my usage escalate even on the old phone. Last month, I was up to 90MB. I believe it is because the iphone wifi turns itself off when the phone is sleeping, so incoming mail gets charged to data. I don't know whether this is due to the latest OS or what. But, I sure got ticked off that I could not get an official answer anywhere. I observed for myself the wifi turning on after I woke the phone up and was already downloading mail.

Anyway, someone said that the Blackberry uses less data and the wifi works better. So, when I saw the Torch, I decided to return to Blackberry. The major pluses for me are the voice dailing, the actual keys for send and end call and the slideout keyboard. My biggest irritation with the iphone was the fact that I would constantly dial people just because I touched the screen in the wrong spot. I accidentally called my nephew while he was in France and called my best friend while she was in Hawaii at 5am. I am hopeful that I won't be doing that accidental dialing anymore.

The only thing that I'm not as happy with on the Blackberry is the email display - I got used to the always-on graphics on my iphone and being able to see my Outlook folders - all of them. that came in handy when I had to access a document that was in one of the folders on my Exchange server.

My other major gripe with the Blackberry "service" is that the extra charge for BES is ridiculous. These days, Exchange is available for personal use. I get mine through godaddy. They provide BES, but I'm not about to pay an extra $25 to ATT per month to be able to use it. I have asked them to please get BES express so I can use it with the BIS service.

So far, I'm much happier to be back on Blackberry and hope that I will continue to be so - I know I would be if I could get godaddy to implement the BES Express.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #4
tkao2025
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

Quote:
Originally Posted by signem View Post
My other major gripe with the Blackberry "service" is that the extra charge for BES is ridiculous. These days, Exchange is available for personal use. I get mine through godaddy. They provide BES, but I'm not about to pay an extra $25 to ATT per month to be able to use it. I have asked them to please get BES express so I can use it with the BIS service.
Wait, I'm on the Iphone 25/month 2GB plan and I'm on Exchange. If I choose to go to the torch and use BES I have to pay the $25/month 2GB plan and on top of that pay for another $25 to be on BES?

I had the 9700 with unlimited $45 plan but did not think the new AT&T plan would cost so much if I decided to go back to a BB.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

tkao, you won't need both plans, just your voice plan and BES plan.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
tkao2025
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

Would you happen to know how much the BES plan is?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

On ATT? I think $35/month
Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
signem
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: ATT
Default blackberry enterprise data plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
On ATT? I think $35/month
It is really difficult to access the page since I just upgraded. But, I think the plan is $40 which is $25 more than my $15 200mb BIS plan. Even if it is actually $35, that is still $20 a month more than I want to spend.