BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #41
tkao2025
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I bought an unlocked Curve on Ebay from a guy that converts them for T-mo use.....The thing works perfectly right now, even the browser. The only hiccup I found was this morning I got a "sim rejected" message, but did a soft reset and seems to be working fine again. I hope this isn't chronic...
Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #42
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkao2025 View Post
I bought an unlocked Curve on Ebay from a guy that converts them for T-mo use.....The thing works perfectly right now, even the browser. The only hiccup I found was this morning I got a "sim rejected" message, but did a soft reset and seems to be working fine again. I hope this isn't chronic...
What version of the OS is installed? Hold down Alt, Shift, and H at the same time to see this...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 PM   #43
wako
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Interesting...that's a later version than the rest of us have managed to use on T-Mobile and still get the standard and T-Zones browsers.

So - with the AT&T OS version, you should also have the AT&T shopping icons I imagine? (don't remember what they're called).

yep... I just made a folder (on my Tmobile 8800 it didnt allow me to make folders on the menu, i found that a nice feature) and stuffed them all in there and hid the folder

For what its worth, all the icons are useless that link to the Media Net, they all come up with an error when I try to load them.

Another problem with the AT&T rom on Tmobile is the regular browser bookmarks has a crapload of AT&T bookmarks that I cant seem to delete or reorder. With Tzones on it and its own bookmarks it has made my browser bookmarks a huge list with half of them I cant even access...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #44
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wako View Post
yep... I just made a folder (on my Tmobile 8800 it didnt allow me to make folders on the menu, i found that a nice feature) and stuffed them all in there and hid the folder

For what its worth, all the icons are useless that link to the Media Net, they all come up with an error when I try to load them.

Another problem with the AT&T rom on Tmobile is the regular browser bookmarks has a crapload of AT&T bookmarks that I cant seem to delete or reorder. With Tzones on it and its own bookmarks it has made my browser bookmarks a huge list with half of them I cant even access...
Hmmm... sounds like you're getting the AT&T version of the browser(s), not the T-Mobile version. They're all essentially the same thing, but customized/branded for the vendor/carrier - as in the unremovable bookmarks you're seeing.

Are you seeing a browser icon that's actually labeled T-Zones?

Under TCPIP (in settings), what APN do you see?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:26 PM   #45
tkao2025
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

Quote:
What version of the OS is installed? Hold down Alt, Shift, and H at the same time to see this...
I read

Platform 2.4.0.29
App Version 4.2.2.67 (150)

Is this what you are looking for?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #46
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkao2025 View Post
I read

Platform 2.4.0.29
App Version 4.2.2.67 (150)

Is this what you are looking for?
This is the O2 release.

If anyone is running a later release with a T-Mobile SIM, then I tend to believe the phone was activated and working at least once on AT&T. I think the problem is that AT&T pushes out a service book to activate the browser icon which is not really deleted when you shut off, then swap the SIM with a T-Mobile. T-Mobile just updates the OTHER Service Books and leaves the browser service book alone.

That's my theory. The way to test it (if anyone dares to do it), go into service books on the later OS and delete them all, then push again from T-Mobile's website. I bet you'll never get your browser back after that without going to the O2 version like the rest of us.

--Kidd
Old 08-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #47
wako

Quote:
Hmmm... sounds like you're getting the AT&T version of the browser(s), not the T-Mobile version. They're all essentially the same thing, but customized/branded for the vendor/carrier - as in the unremovable bookmarks you're seeing.

Are you seeing a browser icon that's actually labeled T-Zones?

Under TCPIP (in settings), what APN do you see?

yeah I get the icon labeled T-Zones, although it doesnt have the T-Zone icon though =/

I dont think I am getting only the AT&T version of the browser though because I have bookmarks from AT&T and I also have the T-Zone bookmarks. Both of which are unable to be deleted.

As for the APN, originally it was wap.cingular or whatever it was, this was preventing all of my 3rd party programs from working. However ever since (from day one) I changed it to wap.voicestream.com everything has been working. Opera, Viigo, JiveTalk are all working properly.

I guess I got lucky because I dont have to bother with flashing ROMs and what not :D
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #48
AlexKidd

Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by wako View Post
I guess I got lucky because I dont have to bother with flashing ROMs and what not :D
Sort-of. I was told by a RIM representative, that Curves purchase off eBay automatically lose their warranty - that to me is not very lucky. :(

Of course, it's definitely nice that you can use the latest OS along with T-Mobile! The media player is buggier in the older release we're stuck with.

--Kidd
Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #49
wako

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
Sort-of. I was told by a RIM representative, that Curves purchase off eBay automatically lose their warranty - that to me is not very lucky. :(

I guess I should consider myself lucky again because I still have my warranty then

I dont mean to go off topic, but if I still do have warranty, who would warrant it? RIM? AT&T? Who would I call?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 PM   #50
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
Of course, it's definitely nice that you can use the latest OS along with T-Mobile! The media player is buggier in the older release we're stuck with.
I would love to know how that works, and why the rest of us haven't figured this out yet...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #51
wako

is there some way I can upload my OS from my phone to you guys?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #52
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

OK, I'm half way there! I removed all traces of the BB Desktop Software as well as the O2 software I got from their web site that was installed on my pc. Then I started from scratch and re-downloaded the BB Desktop and O2 software, installed, and ran it. Finally, I got the option to "downgrade" with the optional box right at the start that says to allow older versions to overwrite current installs. So now I have:

Vendor ID: 107 (doesn't change, it's a Rogers BB)
Platform: 2.4.0.29
App Version: 4.2.2.67 (150)

I still haven't been able to get the TMo browsers however. I deleted my service books after the install, pulled the battery while still running for the hard reset, resent the service books from the MyT-Mobile website, and registered with the network. At least I feel like I'm closing in on it though.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:37 AM   #53
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

So I'm going over what I've done so far to get the O2 OS on my curve and pondering the possibilities for why there is no browser on my Blackberry. I've resent my service books so many times I must have retinal scarring from staring at the images so much. For whatever reason, I just don't seem to be able to get either T-Mobile browser.

Logic suggests I simply have failed to install a necessary component to get a browser. After all, I had one on my 7105t and it worked like it was supposed to. I noticed that during the O2 install MDS was not checked. I assumed it was because I'm on BIS and not BES. Should I have installed MDS support anyway? After having selected BIS when installing the Blackberry Desktop Software 4.2.2 (SP2) would I even be able to? When I go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser and look at "Default browser configuration" it's blank. Selecting "Change Option" does nothing as there are no choices available. Can anyone glean a clue from any of this? I'm assuming I've done something basic that will turn out to be monumentally noobish when I find it, but for now I'm drawing a blank.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #54
tashumbre

Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
So I'm going over what I've done so far to get the O2 OS on my curve and pondering the possibilities for why there is no browser on my Blackberry. I've resent my service books so many times I must have retinal scarring from staring at the images so much. For whatever reason, I just don't seem to be able to get either T-Mobile browser.

Logic suggests I simply have failed to install a necessary component to get a browser. After all, I had one on my 7105t and it worked like it was supposed to. I noticed that during the O2 install MDS was not checked. I assumed it was because I'm on BIS and not BES. Should I have installed MDS support anyway? After having selected BIS when installing the Blackberry Desktop Software 4.2.2 (SP2) would I even be able to? When I go to Options > Advanced Options > Browser and look at "Default browser configuration" it's blank. Selecting "Change Option" does nothing as there are no choices available. Can anyone glean a clue from any of this? I'm assuming I've done something basic that will turn out to be monumentally noobish when I find it, but for now I'm drawing a blank.
Rambo47, I found how to fix your problem. I had the same exact issue and I read in a post that replacing your sim card for a updated one will do the trick. Guess what? It did. I now see both browsers. So, go to a T-mobile store and replace your sim card and you will be a happy person like me.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #55
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

So, a new sim card got you a browser? What OS version?
Old 08-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #56
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Very odd, but I hope it is true.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #57
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

I wonder if it's really the fact that it's a *new* SIM --- or that it's simply a different SIM, and this somehow triggered proper sending of the service books.

Hard to know without more similar experiences to compare.

But...if this works for people when other solutions don't, that's great.

I would also like to know which OS version(s) this works with, and specifically, whether it makes it possible to get T-Mobile browsers with more recent versions than the O2 edition.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #58
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashumbre View Post
Rambo47, I found how to fix your problem. I had the same exact issue and I read in a post that replacing your sim card for a updated one will do the trick. Guess what? It did. I now see both browsers. So, go to a T-mobile store and replace your sim card and you will be a happy person like me.
I had just about given up. I installed Opera Mini but I still want the BB browser. I'm relieved to hear it might not be me doing something noob-ishly simple. Honestly, I've tried every combo of "My Device" and resending the service books from MyTMobile that I've done it at least two dozen times. I thought maybe if I told them I used the 7105t (my last BB) it would send the browser books. I tried the 8100, 8800, 8700, and on and on. Tomorrow morning it's off to T-Mobile. Thanks!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 10:07 PM   #59
tashumbre

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I hv O2 OS. Please see the following:

Vendor ID: 102 (I hv tmo)
Platform: 2.4.0.29
App Version: 4.2.2.67 (150)

I hope this help convince you that I am now up and running.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #60
tashumbre

Quote:
I wonder if it's really the fact that it's a *new* SIM --- or that it's simply a different SIM, and this somehow triggered proper sending of the service books.

Hard to know without more similar experiences to compare.

But...if this works for people when other solutions don't, that's great.

I would also like to know which OS version(s) this works with, and specifically, whether it makes it possible to get T-Mobile browsers with more recent versions than the O2 edition.
Please see my below responds, but I installed the O2 OS.
Closed Thread