Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
nautican

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Starhub
Question BB 8707G vs BB 8800

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone!

I'm thinking of getting either a BB 8707G and BB 8800.

I read that the BB 8707G is pretty laggy. How is this in comparison with the 8800, is the difference noticeable or just minor?

The carrier in my country (Singapore) is selling both BBs at the same price with the same plan. In this instance, which should I choose? I'm at a dilemma as both looks equally good to me

Tks
Old 07-09-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
LovingMyBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I have had both an 8700 and 8800...I prefer the 8800

Bryan Kuhn
Old 07-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

the choice is really yours. 8800 is a newer model and includes GPS.

Some people (me included) like the 87xx keyboard a bit better than the 88xx.

Go try them out and see what you think.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
nautican

Model: 8800
Carrier: Starhub
Default More Questions

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have to make up my mind quickly as I would probably be getting the BB either today or tomorrow.

I read somewhere that the 8707g cannot accomodate a microsd card, so its basically stuck with its 64mb memory. Is this correct? However, I do not expect to be using the multimedia properties of the 8800 as I already have a mp3 player for the same purpose. Nor do I intend to use GPS. So would this tilt the balance in favour of the 8707g in terms of memory.

Another thing which I am unsure about is 3G. Since I wouldn't be doing too much travelling, and certainly not to Japan and South Korea, would 3G capability in the 8707g be such an important factor. I was told that in Singapore I probably wouldn't even feel the difference in speed and in fact the 8707g would be slower because of its more 'laggy' processor?

Lastly, I was reading a review of the 8800 online whichs states the 8800 is limited to its onboard IM client. I intend to install Jivetalk so I'm not sure whether I've got this correct..

Hope someone can help

Tks!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I'd honestly suggest getting the 8707.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile & AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautican View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have to make up my mind quickly as I would probably be getting the BB either today or tomorrow.

I read somewhere that the 8707g cannot accomodate a microsd card, so its basically stuck with its 64mb memory. Is this correct? However, I do not expect to be using the multimedia properties of the 8800 as I already have a mp3 player for the same purpose. Nor do I intend to use GPS. So would this tilt the balance in favour of the 8707g in terms of memory.

Another thing which I am unsure about is 3G. Since I wouldn't be doing too much travelling, and certainly not to Japan and South Korea, would 3G capability in the 8707g be such an important factor. I was told that in Singapore I probably wouldn't even feel the difference in speed and in fact the 8707g would be slower because of its more 'laggy' processor?

Lastly, I was reading a review of the 8800 online whichs states the 8800 is limited to its onboard IM client. I intend to install Jivetalk so I'm not sure whether I've got this correct..

Hope someone can help

Tks!
Yes it is true the 8707g is unable to accommodate a SD card and thus its memory expansion ability is zero! But from my experience, unless you intend to store pictures or music in your BB, 64MB is plenty. The only reason I would prefer the 8800 is the internal GPS.

Also if you plan to tether, 8707g would be a better choice since you can download at UMTS speed vs. 8800's edge.

I have not used Starhub but when I am in Singapore, I mostly roam on Singtel and have noticed the 3G BB to be slightly faster when surfing - but not by much.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
stewsan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-mobile,AIS,Globe

If you're not planning on going to Japan or Korea do not get the 8707. I have that model and the 8300 and the 8800.

To answer your question about IM, the 8707 is extremely limited and as far as I know only IM+ from shape will work. The unit is a brick and slow.

If I didn't travel to Japan I would toss it. The 8300 is my best for traveling throughout Asia. Just got back from Vietnam and it worked great there, even though it's only GPRS. I don't spend my time surfing the net on my BB, mainly just e-mail and now with the 8300, it was cool taking pictures heading down the Mekong Delta with the 8300 and firing off picture e-mails to my family and at the same time doing IM .

3G is over rated as far as speed on that model.
Closed Thread