Old 07-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint
Default REVIEW: Hypercel Rubberized Hard Shell Cases for 8700

Please Login to Remove!

Product: Hypercel Rubberized Hard Shell Cases for 8700
Price: Currently Unknown - Call 1-800-30-HYPER for info on products.
URL: http://www.hypercel.com

Review:
These are a completely new take on hard shell cases for the BlackBerry. They are hard plastic, and the grey and black ones are lightly covered with a thin layer of rubberized material, giving the outer shell a soft, felt-like feel (the clear one has no rubberized covering). They snap together around the device, with puzzle-like snap parts. When on, they fit perfectly, leaving all ports/buttons/earpieces exposed, and allow easy use of the trackwheel and escape button.

They come with a ratchet belt clip, and the part on the back of the shell is removeable, making this a good pocketing solution as well. The shell has about the same thickness as the Seidio skins, so the pocket carry is really viable.

The screen and keyboard are fully exposed for ease of typing use and your choice of screen protection.

I did feel as if the small snap pieces may be prone to breaking off when handling them, but once I got the two pieces securely together on the device, they merge into each other really well, leaving no tips or edges exposed to cause breakage. So be careful putting them together, but after that they are fine.

Click to enlarge:

Rating: I give this case 5 out of 5 Berries.

Conclusion: This is a great solution for those looking for a hard shell without the bulk of a metal case, and for those looking for a pocketable shell.

Pros: Nice protective covering of the device, soft feel on the rubberized models.

Cons: Plastic core may break on impact, unknown pricing as of yet, puzzle-tabs may break when assembling.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
cooperpwc

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Seattle18,
Thanks for the review and especially the pics.
The ratchet clip looks rather thick, is it not? Otherwise this is actually quite cool, especially in black. It would be a great case for pocketing.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Seattle18

Yes, the clip is a bit thick. I wish it were a lower profile, but that's the only one available. But at least the stud on the back comes off for pocket use.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #4
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930

Nice...Hoping a 7130c model is the works...
Old 07-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #5
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Very nice review. Thanks. I would agree with everyone. The clip appears very thick. It's as thick as the entire unit itself.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
Wishdemon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question

This is sweet....but my only question, which I think I already know the answer to, is that I'm assuming theres no magnet for the sleeper function unless its built into the clip part?

Also, just to clarify, when you say ratchet clip, it wont just swing freely right? You can click it to different positions and it'll stay that way?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
Seattle18

Correct on both counts: there is no sleeper magnet since it is an open face type of case, and it does not swing freely, it instead ratchets, stopping at 45 degree angles all the way around.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Are these cases commercially available or not yet?

I'd like to order one.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #9
Wishdemon

Thanks seattle. Do you think that the battery would drain quicker if I were to use this case? I am just wondering how much true impact the sleep mode has on battery life?

Thanks.

Last edited by Wishdemon; 07-05-2006 at 08:49 AM..
Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Wishdemon

Exclamation

Hey all. I will be having a number of these cases in large quantities shortly. If you are interested, please PM me or PIN me at 23D4AA3E.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
gwar11d2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Seattle-
Can you post pics of the blackberry inside the clear and grey cases as well? Thanks!

Brian
Old 08-13-2006, 12:08 AM   #12
CChoi83
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Seattle,

The base (on the case) where the ratcheting clip adapter slides in to looks similar to the Multiadapt base on Krusell's cases. If you have any of the Multiadapt clips around, can you see if they'll slide in to the Hypercel base? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Chris
Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
geekboy2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChoi83
Seattle,

The base (on the case) where the ratcheting clip adapter slides in to looks similar to the Multiadapt base on Krusell's cases. If you have any of the Multiadapt clips around, can you see if they'll slide in to the Hypercel base? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Chris
The Krusell Multidapt clip fits perfectly on that case. I pulled the clip off of my Krusell Cabriolet case, and it works fine. The problems with this case:

1) There's no cut-out for the service indicator light.
2) The fit (front to back half snap) isn't the best.

I went back to the Krusell Cabriolet for reason #1. If the front and back halves separate (which seems totally possible after evaluating it), it's goodbye BlackBerry.

Another case/shell that's *almost* perfect. I really wish the designers of these cases were owners of the devices. :(

Mark