TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile & AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmerali
Hi,

I have got the E61 working with Blackberry internet email from O2 UK. It seems to work every well.

However, I have a couple of queries and was wondering if anyone could help:

1. I have enabled the Blackberry mailbox as my default mailbox so it appears on the stanby screen. I have also enabled an email alert sound on my profiles setup. However, when new email arrives there is no sound played nor vibrating alert. Anyone know how to enable this for new Blackberry email ?

2. Text size and font on the mail client is a bit big. Is there anyway of reducing this size. I can't seem to find any way of changing this to a user defined look or size. Any ideas.

Otherwise, the E61 is a great device.
I have left my E61 in "outdoor" profile and it sounds/vibrates briefly when it email arrives. But the volume is so low that it is difficult to hear in a slightly noisey environment.

Yes..the text is a bit too large and there isn't a know way to reduce it unfortunately - at least not yet.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #62
TheRFGuy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile & AT&T

I have to say after three weeks of using it, I don't think the E61 is a BB killer. Here's my quick take on this:

1) Missing the ability to send PIN - a huge setback for me and many BB users.
2) E61 menu is too complicated for simple tasks. The user interface is simpler and better.
3) E61 is slow comparing to my 8700g
4) Font's are too large on the E61
5) Email notification is poor.
6) Unable to accept meeting request on E61
7) Unable to synch "sent" folder - so I can't check when and what I sent previously.
8) Emails have to retrieve and not really pushed on IMAP and POP

Things I like about the E61.
1) IMAP emails are quicker to arrive.
2) Better audio than the E61
3) Large selection of software
4) Somewhat native support of MS Word, Excel and free Adobe pda reader
5) UMTS and Wifi support - I travel to Japan where GSM is not available and UMTS support, I can still use my mobile for calls and emails.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #63
CountZero

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRFGuy
Yes..the text is a bit too large and there isn't a know way to reduce it unfortunately - at least not yet.
There is a thread on my-symbian.com about using different themes to alter the fonts size. Haven't tried it myself yet, as I've just ordered it yesterday, but looks promising.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:06 PM   #64
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

If I purchase the Nokia E61 and use it on Rogers Wireless via BIS will I be able to pin and recive pins or does BlackBerry connect only allow email to be sent and recieved? If you cannot send pins with BlackBerry connect is it possible to recieve only? I find some of the E61 features to be pretty sweet but since I recieve alot of work info via pin I am debating if I should buy the E61 or just stick to the BlackBerry 8700r.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-05-2006 at 02:08 PM..
Old 06-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #65
robhawley
Knows Where the Search Button Is

As far as I have been able to gather so far, PIN messaging is not supported.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #66
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountZero
There is a thread on my-symbian.com about using different themes to alter the fonts size. Haven't tried it myself yet, as I've just ordered it yesterday, but looks promising.

Guys, try this theme it shrinks the font a bit:

http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/30992/
Old 06-05-2006, 03:02 PM   #67
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitty
If I purchase the Nokia E61 and use it on Rogers Wireless via BIS will I be able to pin and recive pins or does BlackBerry connect only allow email to be sent and recieved? If you cannot send pins with BlackBerry connect is it possible to recieve only? I find some of the E61 features to be pretty sweet but since I recieve alot of work info via pin I am debating if I should buy the E61 or just stick to the BlackBerry 8700r.
I was unable to get any PIN functionality at all, no send and no receive.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #68
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I played with an E61 for a short while. Nice eye candy, but I didn't like the keyboard at all. Keys too hard to press/poor feel. Like they'd messed enough on that to stop me using one in anger. May have been a pre/early production one as it was an operator's demo model...

Just check it out if you can before you commit to one...
Old 06-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #69
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Thanks for the info all.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #70
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
I played with an E61 for a short while. Nice eye candy, but I didn't like the keyboard at all. Keys too hard to press/poor feel. Like they'd messed enough on that to stop me using one in anger. May have been a pre/early production one as it was an operator's demo model...

Just check it out if you can before you commit to one...

Interesting I find the keyboard to be most excellent, much better than the 8700 series. YMMV
Old 06-06-2006, 06:21 AM   #71
hmerali

Model: 7330
Default Email alerts

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get email alerts working. There is an option in the Profiles menu to set up an email tone alert and also activate it on any pop3 or IMAP mailboxes you setup. This option isnt available on the blackberry email settings screen.

However, it doesnt seem to work on normal pop3 or IMAP emails let alone blackberry emails, where i don't get any email alert sounds. However the LED flashing option does work even for blackberry emails so something seems to be wrong on the OS.

Any ideas

Last edited by hmerali; 06-06-2006 at 06:27 AM..
Old 06-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #72
elsandalos

Model: 7100v

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmerali
Hi,

Has anyone managed to get email alerts working. ...
... it doesnt seem to work on normal pop3 or IMAP emails let alone blackberry emails, where i don't get any email alert sounds. However the LED flashing option does work even for blackberry emails so something seems to be wrong on the OS.

Any ideas
I'm having exactly the same problem - is there a fix?

El.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #73
rjharary

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsandalos
I'm having exactly the same problem - is there a fix?

El.
I can't help you and for that I am sorry. but, I do want to thank you... I know now that I must stick with Blackberry.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #74
sblackburn

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Nokia E61 and BBCOnnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRFGuy
How/where did you get the load the new firmware with BB Connect? thanks
I got it burned directly onto the E61 by Nokia. I have since downloaded the BBCOnnect desktop software and the .SIS file for the device.

I found out what to do to turn it on (long winded process hidden in several menus) but it does work.

The radio recovery seems to be different to a pure Blackberry in that I have observed recovery times of a few seconds upto 30 minutes. Seems to be a few occasions where the mail client doesn't think the APN has disconnected to it doesn't retry for a while.

I don't think its a fair comparison really with a Blackberry. To really compare you would have to run a shoot out between an 8707 3G BB on BES 4.1 vs a Nokia E61 running Nokia IMS.

It's certainly a way of maintaining a return on your BB investment if you do want to move upto a sexier looking device.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #75
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100g
Carrier: Telstra

We dont have these yet in Australia but will do soon. How fast or slow is this device when compared to the 8700?? Is web browsing fast on it?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:41 PM   #76
flg

Model: P910
Default Nokia E61 BB, Microsoft ActiveSync and POP EMail

Just changed from my RIM 8700G and Nokia 9300i to E61 for general usage.

The Nokia E61 works very well with Microsoft ActiveSync and our Corporate MS Exchange email via the Nokia client. Calendar and Email set-up and usage was simplistic. I also enabled the BB Connect client and access our Corporate MS Exchange with it - works equally as well for email. Have not tried the calendar function since MS ActiveSync is doing such.

Also, have used the POP email along with ActiveSync and BB connect and all work very well - all live concurrently. The E61 has been very stable with all the software I've used. I'm using it with TMobile in the USA.

The E61 is a wonderful device as compared to my 8700G in terms of screen displays, phone quality and other program features. I really like the main screen with the coposite display of key programs, new emails and calendar.

The E61 is significantly faster for email and www browsing than my Nokia 9300i.

I prefer the elegence and user interface of the Nokia 9300i but it is quite slow in comparison with the E61. Really miss the FAX feature and other commands related to select all emails, emailing WWW pages and such. Maybe they include such in a future firmware upgrade?

So far - so good - we'll see in a week! Maybe one of the best BB alternatives until the SE P990 arrives but no WiFi on it!

FLG>>>
Old 06-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #77
flg

Default Nokia E61 BB, Microsoft ActiveSync and POP EMail

Just changed from my RIM 8700G and Nokia 9300i to E61 for general usage.

The Nokia E61 works very well with Microsoft ActiveSync and our Corporate MS Exchange email via the Nokia client. Calendar and Email set-up and usage was simplistic. I also enabled the BB Connect client and access our Corporate MS Exchange with it - works equally as well for email. Have not tried the calendar function since MS ActiveSync is doing such.

Also, have used the POP email along with ActiveSync and BB connect and all work very well - all live concurrently. The E61 has been very stable with all the software I've used. I'm using it with TMobile in the USA.

The E61 is a wonderful device as compared to my 8700G in terms of screen displays, phone quality and other program features. I really like the main screen with the composite display of key programs, new emails and calendar.

The E61 is significantly faster for email and www browsing than my Nokia 9300i.

I prefer the elegence and user interface of the Nokia 9300i but it is quite slow in comparison with the E61. Really miss the FAX feature and other commands related to select all emails, emailing WWW pages and such. Maybe they include such in a future firmware upgrade?

So far - so good - we'll see in a week! Maybe one of the best BB alternatives until the SE P990 arrives but no WiFi on it!

FLG>>>
Old 06-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #78
michael.kaplan1

Model: e61
Carrier: tmobile

A couple of questions for anyone:

1. If you have folders designated on your Outlook that automatically file your emails, I have noticed that the BB redirector will not catch them BEFORE they are filed and hence you dont get them on your E61. Does anyone have this issue?? Id love to hear a fix.

2. Another thing I noticed is that it doesnt open all jpeg files. is there a new setting or easy fix? THank you much Michael
Old 06-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #79
flg

Michael.Kaplan -

Check to see if your rules are running on the Exchange server or Desktop. If the rules are optioned to run on the Exchange server you will most likely not get the emails. If you set the rule to run when you log into your Outlook desktop (at the client) the emails will goto the E61 and then to the appropriate folder in your Exchange Outlook system. I have some rules running on the server - like junk email sorting and some on the desktop and I get those emails on my E61.

My experience with the E61 has been very positive. Micrsoft Active Sync and RIM Blackberry connect are both working perfectly!

Also, the WWW browsing is simply excellent as to display completeness/correctness and navigation has been amazing. Faster and better than my N9500, N9300, N9300i and SE P910i. Better than other MS based phones which I've used.

Yes - some compromises as compared to a RIM 8700 device but the additonal features and function make this an excellent alternative!

FLG>>>
Old 06-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #80
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100g
Carrier: Telstra

whats the overall speed of the E61 like? I use my 8700g for 50% email and 50% internet browsing. I am happy with the speed of the 8700g. Is the E61 comparable to the BB's performance? I know its got 3G but unless the CPU is up to the task, it may not transfer to good performance.