Old 11-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
papageno19
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Storm and Rhapsody

Please Login to Remove!

OK so the storm supports Rhapsody. I have a Rhapsody subscription that I use for my mp3 player. Heres the question:

Will the Storm be able to play the Rhapsody DRM files without me subscribing to Rhapsody through Verizon (but of course being subscribed), or will I have to cancel my Rhapsody account with Rhapsody and get it with Verizon?

Its not a big deal to me since I own most of my mp3s I mainly use Rhapsody to test drive new music. I do plan on replacing my 2gb mp3 player with my Storm whenever it arrives.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
papageno19

anybody know?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #3
woodenoxen

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

YES!

I am a hardcore rhapsody user (2.5 years) and that was the first thing i did when i got back to the office with the storm. i put regular mp3s i ripped and about loaded about 10 subscription albums and listened on the way home on the subway.

the mp3 player on the storm is AWESOME! plus i could pause and restart with the headset that came with it, and the call/talking quality on the headphones is top notch.

the only drawback (which rhapsody users will understand this really isnt a big deal) is albums loaded about 30-40% slower than transferring from pc to a regular sansa mp3 player.

so - awesome mp3 player. albums transferred a bit slower to the phone, but this isnt really a problem.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
papageno19

Thats awesome, now I REALLY can't wait to get mine. My 2 gig mp3 player isnt cutting it anymore cause I like to sample whole albums instead of just the songs I know. 2 gigs has my doing a lot of weeding out songs. The card that comes with this should be plenty though. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
jeffharris
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Can you not just stream music via Rhapsody on the Storm? (Never used VZW yet, so, not sure how the whole Rhapsody thing works on VZ)

Jeff
www.jeffharris.com
Old 11-22-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
woodenoxen

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

you cant stream albums over the air - that would actually be a huge battery drain.

rhapsody basically lets you rent unlimited albums - just drag them from the software right onto the phone. you can stream unlimited when you're at your PC. its basically like having a legal version of a P2P app except you're renting the music.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
PhillyGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenoxen View Post
YES!

I am a hardcore rhapsody user (2.5 years) and that was the first thing i did when i got back to the office with the storm. i put regular mp3s i ripped and about loaded about 10 subscription albums and listened on the way home on the subway.

the mp3 player on the storm is AWESOME! plus i could pause and restart with the headset that came with it, and the call/talking quality on the headphones is top notch.

the only drawback (which rhapsody users will understand this really isnt a big deal) is albums loaded about 30-40% slower than transferring from pc to a regular sansa mp3 player.

so - awesome mp3 player. albums transferred a bit slower to the phone, but this isnt really a problem.

Are you referring to a "To-Go" subscription?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Z28Jerry

Model: Storm

O.K. Complete newbie to blackberrys here. Didn''t do a forum search, got here from a google search and registered, figuring I would be here often over the next couple of months.

My question is I already have a Rhapsody account at home, and my wife uses it for her MP3 player to go as well. But what steps do I do to get this service on my blackberry? Basically, how does a dumbass like myself get this setup (if I have to ask my wife, I'll never hear the end of it)

Jerry
Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
PhillyGuy

I think you have to add it, through Verizon to your account. I don't think the Storm is a compatable MP3 player for the Rhapsody to Go account.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
Z28Jerry

Model: Storm

Yeah, I think so too. I tried to hook it up to Rhapsody vie the USB cable, and it recognizes it, transfers music to it, however it wont play any of the tunes, just says that I need to "hook device up to computer to get drm" or something like that..the whole time it is hooked up, lol.

Doesn't matter, phones going back anyway. Its so buggy all the time, unresponsive, etc. Just making calls on the damn thing takes forever and it a real pain in the ass. I'll stick to my separate mp3 player, motorola razr and verizon air-vard for my laptop to handle email. I figured I'd give the blackberry thing a try since almost all the other business folks I work with have one.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
deezmfnutz

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy View Post
I think you have to add it, through Verizon to your account. I don't think the Storm is a compatable MP3 player for the Rhapsody to Go account.
INCORRECT! The Storm mp3 player/media player IS compatibile with Rhapsody togo accounts. I am using mine as we speak with my Rhapsody togo account. It actually works great. In fact it is a slick music delivery service/device. I actually perfer it to my ipod/iphone-itunes devices.

If you listen to a wide range of music/artists Rhapsody is a great service and a very solid value IMO.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
SpeedFreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

What's up with the Search for the Storm's music store? Is it Rhapsody? I went and entered Disturbed Down with Sickness and it didn't return any match.

The music store is way off in terms of the quality iTunes has.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Jerry View Post
Yeah, I think so too. I tried to hook it up to Rhapsody vie the USB cable, and it recognizes it, transfers music to it, however it wont play any of the tunes, just says that I need to "hook device up to computer to get drm" or something like that..the whole time it is hooked up, lol.

Doesn't matter, phones going back anyway. Its so buggy all the time, unresponsive, etc. Just making calls on the damn thing takes forever and it a real pain in the ass. I'll stick to my separate mp3 player, motorola razr and verizon air-vard for my laptop to handle email. I figured I'd give the blackberry thing a try since almost all the other business folks I work with have one.
Did you authorize your Storm using the computer based Rhapsody client? You have to authorize the device in-order to play DRM based material from Rhapsody togo.

Right click on the device in the sources pane within the Rhapsody client and select authorize.

If you don't have the authorize option you will have to change the memory settings on the storm. You have to disable mass storage mode to allow the device to function properly with the Rhapsody client:

Turn off Mass Storage Mode before connecting and starting Rhapsody. To do this:

Goto Options button on the storm
Click Memory.
Change Mass Storage Mode Support to OFF.
Media Card Support & MTP should still say "on"
Make sure you SAVE the settings.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFreak View Post
What's up with the Search for the Storm's music store? Is it Rhapsody? I went and entered Disturbed Down with Sickness and it didn't return any match.

The music store is way off in terms of the quality iTunes has.
Just performed the same search with Rhapsody results returned 10 relevant results, itune 12:

Down With The Sickness (karaoke-version) As Made Famous By: Disturbed Studio Group Karaoke Rocking Away Part 3

Down With The Sickness Disturbed The Sickness Lyrics

Down With The Sickness Disturbed Tribute Band Tribute To Disturbed

Down With The Sickness The Gothacoustic Ensemble A Gothic Acoustic Tribute to Disturbed

Down With The Sickness The Gothacoustic Ensemble Violence Fetish: A Gothic Acoustic Tribute to Disturbed

Down With The Sickness The Gothacoustic Ensemble Violence Fetish: A Gothic Acoustic Tribute to Disturbed

Down With Sickness Various Artists Are You Breathing... Tribute to Disturbed

Down With The Sickness [Live At The Riviera] Disturbed Indestructible

Down With The Sickness Disturbed Down With The Sickness Lyrics
Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
SpeedFreak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezmfnutz View Post
Just performed the same search with Rhapsody results returned 10 relevant results, itune 12:

Down With The Sickness (karaoke-version) As Made Famous By: Disturbed Studio Group Karaoke Rocking Away Part 3

Down With The Sickness Disturbed Tribute Band Tribute To Disturbed

Down With The Sickness The Gothacoustic Ensemble A Gothic Acoustic Tribute to Disturbed

Down With Sickness Various Artists Are You Breathing... Tribute to Disturbed

Down With The Sickness [Live At The Riviera] Disturbed Indestructible

Down With The Sickness Disturbed Down With The Sickness Lyrics
Hmmm, well whatever was installed on the store demo couldn't have been the same music program you are talking about.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #16
jvalley

Model: 9500
Carrier: VzW

Quote:
Did you authorize your Storm using the computer based Rhapsody client? You have to authorize the device in-order to play DRM based material from Rhapsody togo.

Right click on the device in the sources pane within the Rhapsody client and select authorize.

If you don't have the authorize option you will have to change the memory settings on the storm. You have to disable mass storage mode to allow the device to function properly with the Rhapsody client:

Turn off Mass Storage Mode before connecting and starting Rhapsody. To do this:

Goto Options button on the storm
Click Memory.
Change Mass Storage Mode Support to OFF.
Media Card Support & MTP should still say "on"
Make sure you SAVE the settings.
This doesn't work for me. The Storm doesn't show up in the Sources list at all. I have DM 4.7 and VZAM installed and both recognize the phone, so I'm not sure what the issue with VCast seeing it could be.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
PhillyGuy

Quote:
INCORRECT! The Storm mp3 player/media player IS compatibile with Rhapsody togo accounts. I am using mine as we speak with my Rhapsody togo account. It actually works great. In fact it is a slick music delivery service/device. I actually perfer it to my ipod/iphone-itunes devices.

If you listen to a wide range of music/artists Rhapsody is a great service and a very solid value IMO.

I stand corrected. I couldn't find it listed on the Rhapsody web site when I made that post.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
DeadRinga
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalley View Post
This doesn't work for me. The Storm doesn't show up in the Sources list at all. I have DM 4.7 and VZAM installed and both recognize the phone, so I'm not sure what the issue with VCast seeing it could be.
I have the same issue. .75 and DM 4.7 sees it. But Rhapsody does not.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #19
atipa13

Carrier: verizon

I just currently purchased the storm. I found out that i was able to take my itunes songs and put them on my storm. I used the rhapsody disc the phone came with and downloaded that into my computer. I was than able to transfer my songs over from my itunes to rhapsody to my storm. I was able to listen to the music on my phone until 3 days later now the files say they are not compatable and i cant listen to the songs anymore on my storm. NEED HELP!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

atipa13, please don't triple post your questions in the forum
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-question.html
Closed Thread