Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default RIM's Profit, Sales Double Amid BlackBerry Demand

Please Login to Remove!

From the Wall St. Journal...

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion Ltd., showing its popular device is moving beyond purely business customers, reported strong third-quarter earnings fueled by rapid consumer growth during the lead-up to the holiday season.

The Waterloo, Ontario-based equipment maker and wireless email provider said net income surged to $370.5 million, or 65 cents a share, up from $175.2 million, or 31 cents a share, from the same quarter last year. Revenue doubled from the year-earlier period, to $1.67 billion.

The company's stock climbed more than 11% in after-hours trading on the Nasdaq stock market to $119.53 a share.

In recent weeks, RIM stock -- which trebled since the start of the year to a closing high of $133 last month -- has fallen amid macroeconomic jitters and worries that a slowdown in technology spending at large corporations could hurt RIM's business.

RIM's results and positive outlook brushed aside those concerns for now. In its most recent quarter ended Dec. 1, the company added 1.65 million subscriber accounts, up from 1.45 million in its second quarter. As of Dec. 1, RIM had roughly 12 million subscriber accounts, of which 34% are consumers and small business users, up from about 30% in the prior quarter.

"It is clear from the results in this quarter that BlackBerry smartphones have crossed over" into the consumer market, said RIM's co-chief executive James Balsillie on a call with analysts. He added that the volume of wireless carriers' holiday promotions featuring the BlackBerry had exceeded the company's expectations and helped lift sales.

RIM's consumer push is steaming ahead thanks to the uptake of new devices with more multimedia capabilities. The quarter included the introduction of an updated version of RIM's BlackBerry Pearl by Sprint Nextel Corp. and Verizon Wireless, a device for which there was pent-up demand. Internationally, RIM saw strong growth in Latin America.

Another spurt in growth could come in a few months as a result of a dramatic new design -- a touch-screen BlackBerry. At least one European carrier is testing the new design, according to Gus Papageorgiou, managing director, Technology Hardware Research at Scotia Capital. A spokeswoman for RIM declined to comment.

A touch-screen BlackBerry could help RIM compete with Apple Inc.'s popular iPhone, which sells more to consumers than businesses. RIM would have to find a clever way to tailor a touch-screen BlackBerry to business professionals with heavy email habits. One possibility is a rollaway keypad.

Despite heavy competition from handset makers, RIM continues to widen its share of the market. In the third quarter of 2007, RIM held 39% of the market for U.S. smartphone and cellular PDA shipments, up from 35.6% during the third quarter of 2006, according to Gartner Inc. World-wide, the company's share of smartphone and PDA shipments grew from 7% to 10% during the same period.

Thursday, wireless communications company TeleCommunication Systems Inc. announced it filed a patent lawsuit against RIM. The suit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, alleges that RIM products that allow users to access multiple e-mail accounts on their wireless devices violate one of the company's patents. A RIM spokeswoman said the company does not comment on ongoing litigation.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Good to hear they are doing so well (although I didn't doubt they were).

Touch screen....hmmm....not sure about that. I didn't think the trackball would fly, either, though.

And of course a lawsuit. What RIM article wouldn't be complete without mention of a lawsuit. "I thought it first!!". Sheesh.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
...Thursday, wireless communications company TeleCommunication Systems Inc. announced it filed a patent lawsuit against RIM. The suit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, alleges that RIM products that allow users to access multiple e-mail accounts on their wireless devices violate one of the company's patents. A RIM spokeswoman said the company does not comment on ongoing litigation.
sigh...Here we go again.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Not one of those lawsuits that would shut down the BlackBerry network -- RIM had to pay the devil (half a billion) to get away from that. I think this is just a tiny parasite in comparision, and we all know RIM has even bigger pockets now.

As for touchscreen, I think it's a good move, provided they don't alienate QWERTY and SureType users. While I hate the Windows Mobile touchscreens, I do like the innovations found in the iPhone touchscreen -- its web browser is truly first-class, with a number of very useful innovations.

I envision RIM expanding their gamut of devices: QWERTY, SureType, and touchscreen. Also, it may even have a roll-up keyboard -- RIM has a patent for a touchscreen device with a pull-up keyboard.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

From a stockholder POV, I think having lots of different models, with different interfaces, is a wonderful idea. As far as support, it will be a nightmare. We will have two completely different interfaces - trackwheel/trackball (I am being very generous and lumping them together) and touchscreen. The concept of loads of interfaces and models has worked for Nokia....

I will, of course, get one as soon as T-Mobile launches them.

Wonder how Palm is going to respond (JOKE: PALM IS DEAD)...

This is a direct shot across the WM bow. Very interesting. Very.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
jonabyte
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
As far as support, it will be a nightmare.
Yes it is a nightmare...I wonder if it will cause more problems than its worth in the future.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
BBHorrigan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

from a support point of view, I'm really not looking forward to users having the touchscreen blackberry, just seems alot harder to walk them through things. Alot of users have a hard time being told to scroll/track to certain part of there screens, never mind having them touch certain parts, and with custom themes, it doesn't sound like fun.

I wonder if the core of the OS will stay the same, or will it be a totally new looking enviroment.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

I hope RIM continues to prosper. As an outsider, it sure seems to me that they plow a fair share of their profit back into improving the product. Good for them, and good for their customers.

Lawsuits sadly have become a part of being successful these days. Always someone out there who thinks the courtroom is a path to easy money.

I agree with Mark, ideally RIM will find a way to integrate a touchscreen with the standard keyboard, to satisfy the most users. My wife has used a series of Treos and currently has a Wing, mainly because she's a touchscreen junkie. If a Blackberry with a touchscreen did come out, she might finally see the light.
Closed Thread