Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #41
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Apparently RIM was hacked. I just started getting them so I will see what's up with it before I make any moves.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #42
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Apparently everyone else was hacked, too, and for last 10-20 years. SPAM makes over 90% of emails.

I just had to delete my daily portion of spam emails that sneaked to my Yahoo inbox through maximum strength spam filters I enabled. Yahoo must be hacked, too.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #43
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491

I haven’t created a blackberry.net address since switching to TMobile, I have enough addy’s to keep up with, no need for another one.

~MrKyoo
Old 11-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #44
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbox
Don't do anything drastic like deleting/changing your BB email addresses yet.
Why is it drastic? For new blackberry users who create their blackberry account BB address is optional.

If someone does not need BB address, deleting it will eliminate direct spam to blackberry, 100% guarantee.

Quote:
RIM and the individual providers are probably working on the issue and may have a fix soon.
Bill Gates promised spam free Internet, he is still working on it. RIM will be in good company if they promise to eliminate all spam.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #45
BBLAR

Model: 7520
Talking Spam

this has been a pain in the past two week. these stocks are garbage.

i have set up my filters and will see what happens. i found the company phone to GAMN 214 880 0446, called the number and asked for melanie foster (the from name on my email). at first the person said she was there and then quickly stated she was gone for the day. i will drive these people crazy.

i was also considering contacting homeland security and have them investigated for terrorism as the emails also include insane messages.

that will fix their a$$!

Last edited by BBLAR; 11-19-2006 at 11:05 AM..
Old 11-19-2006, 12:01 PM   #46
corruptblitz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9810
PIN: 280D51C5

YES! I love BBLAR's idea! Telephone spam the bastards. This new spam is really weird. It's not like generic spam just started breaking through BB network. It's all the same stuff, stocks. One thing I noticed yesterday is that all the To address in the spam start with the same 4 or so letters of your bb address. Anyone have any idea how that works?
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #47
GarySh

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Apparently RIM was hacked. I just started getting them so I will see what's up with it before I make any moves.
I just recently started getting Spam on my BB (after receiving none for my first two years with a BB), and like others have never given out my @tmo.blackberry.net address to anybody.

I noticed that (so far) I'm never the "To:" recipient, it's always To someone else at rogers.blackberry.net or mycingular.blackberry.net or verizon.net etc. so it seems to point towards some kind of pan-carrier hack/leak from RIM.

To add to that hypothesis, my last name is *very* uncommon - I'm the only person on the entire West Coast with my last name, and as far as I can tell (from searches etc), the only person with my first and last name on the planet. The odds of a dictionary hack guessing my first name and last name @tmo.blackberry.net are pretty steep.

Has anyone queried RIM or Tmobile etc. about the sudden SPAM issue? In the meantime I'm going to try and set up a rule to block it.

- G -
Old 11-20-2006, 05:23 PM   #48
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Default RIM workaround

For all of you that are getting spam on your BB, yes RIM is the victim of a large scale spammer and they are trying to find a solution to stopping it. It has been going on for a week to 10 days. I called RIM and they gave me two workarounds:
1. If you do not use your blackberry email account at all then you can delete it and it will stop the spam. If your are using BIS 1.8 you will not be able to delete this account unless you upgrade to 2.0. I did not do this as, in my opinion, the advantages such as better integration with yahoo and GMail are outweighed by the loss of the online inbox.
2. Put in a filter which will look like this "if all of these conditions are met... In the "From" box type "Sent To/Cc" then leave the contains box alone and in the last box type in your blackberry address (not your yahoo or other address that you want to continue receiving from). Finally, have the offending mail moved to another folder and tell it not to be sent to the handheld. I have it moved to my inbox as I still have one on 1.8 and can check it later to see if any mail I wanted is there. On 2.0 you will have to move it somewhere else - "drafts?"

Last edited by BBRaffey; 11-20-2006 at 05:26 PM..
Old 11-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #49
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
You can not. Delete your tmo.blackberry.net email address- problem solved.
Just a caution. You can't delete your BB email account if (a) you are on an early version of BIS (less than 2.0) or (b) you have other email accounts forwarding to that address (in which case you'd have to recreate another and fix all your forwarding).
Old 11-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #50
stevec_ny
Thumbs Must Hurt

This is disappointing. I'm also getting spam on my tmo.blackberry.net address (which was never given out). Considering it's <something1>.<something2>@tmo.blackberry.net, it's not very likely it would have been guessed via dictionary attack. I've set up filters in the meantime, but I don't want to delete my blackberry.net address as

1) I'm using it.
2) It's Unique (to me anyway)
3) I agree with shadowbox that seems a bit drastic

Maybe RIM can blackhole the spammer's IP block.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #51
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000

Interesting. About the same time as this first posting I started to receive spam on my blackberry.net email address too. Like others here, I NEVER use it other than to send something directly to my wife and a few friends.

Unfortunately, there's no way to filter spam - it's just won't work. The only way I was able to stem the tide of spam was to turn off forwarding for all emails EXCEPT if they match filters I established. Emails from my work domain, my wife's work domain, and a few other selected email addresses can still get through on my blackberry.net email address. Otherwise nothing else comes through.

The only thing I don't like about this method is that there's no way to see what has been filtered on BIS 2, but as I said, I don't use that email address for anything significant anyway.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 AM   #52
Galvatron
No longer Registered.

PIN: 240582A8
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhobbes
I've been getting spammed lately too. Never used to happen.

Now I keep getting lame stock tips and crap like that. Going to delete that account as I never use it!
Notice
How all the email accounts the carriers prvid you with give you spam?
[email address] = spame magnet

I've gotten scammers buzzing this account .mainly emails consisting as bait for wire fraud scams.
High I'm a high ranking officer at a bank (insert HSBC bank Bank of america hong Kong branch 1els fargo) we had a client who died recenlty we was woth abou 43 mil we alege your his next of kin we can verify this for about $1800.00 in english court or you have to fly to london ti sign it in person you can wire the money via western union.

OR: we are x company or art gallery we are looking for US sales reps to take payments from clients via 6ake postal money orders wich are valued at $250.

I monkeyed with them a little just to se how far they would go cause I was bored

I had the USPS look at them and they we're obiously fake because of the duplicate serial numbers. They say they comee from afganistan. I let the officials keep them an cooperated.

The bank one was interesting.
They went so far as to call me.
They hade som buddies in on it posing as bristers from clifford an chance. Princable account officers for hsbc bank they try to speal ona bout som fake company called global securitys. When this guy called me he certainly did Not sound like he was british.. He sounded Nigerian.

I have even seen lottory offers from smuggling rings

" Green card lottory win a chance at a Free greencard". That was funny I was laghing for 5 minutes when I first swa that one.

Some of the weirder onse were the deprate wives club or somthing like that.

Jus use your yahoo or AOL account
Old 11-21-2006, 03:17 PM   #53
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRaffey
For all of you that are getting spam on your BB, yes RIM is the victim of a large scale spammer and they are trying to find a solution to stopping it. It has been going on for a week to 10 days. I called RIM and they gave me two workarounds:
1. If you do not use your blackberry email account at all then you can delete it and it will stop the spam. If your are using BIS 1.8 you will not be able to delete this account unless you upgrade to 2.0. I did not do this as, in my opinion, the advantages such as better integration with yahoo and GMail are outweighed by the loss of the online inbox.
2. Put in a filter which will look like this "if all of these conditions are met... In the "From" box type "Sent To/Cc" then leave the contains box alone and in the last box type in your blackberry address (not your yahoo or other address that you want to continue receiving from). Finally, have the offending mail moved to another folder and tell it not to be sent to the handheld. I have it moved to my inbox as I still have one on 1.8 and can check it later to see if any mail I wanted is there. On 2.0 you will have to move it somewhere else - "drafts?"
So you have added a negative filter. Seems simple. I'll give it a try.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #54
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
So you have added a negative filter. Seems simple. I'll give it a try.
Not an absolute fix, but works for about 95% of the spam. I am on BIS 1.8 and still have an inbox so I am having my blackberry.net email sent there and not to the handheld. Set this up yesterday and still received 1 spam on the bb. Just checked the inbox and found 6 including the one that was forwarded. I can live with results like this until RIM figures out how to stop the spammer.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #55
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRaffey
Not an absolute fix, but works for about 95% of the spam. I am on BIS 1.8 and still have an inbox so I am having my blackberry.net email sent there and not to the handheld. Set this up yesterday and still received 1 spam on the bb. Just checked the inbox and found 6 including the one that was forwarded. I can live with results like this until RIM figures out how to stop the spammer.
I just realized this doesn't work if you are fowarding. Right? Only for polling, so I switched mine to affirmative filters to allow my forwarding mail to come through to the inbox.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #56
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

True, I only want my business email to come to the bb. I can wait to access my personal email (Yahoo and GMail) until I get to a computer. I have set it up through my internet server to push it to the bb. With everything else that the bb can do (phone, bb messinger, SMS, and IM), friends and family already have too many ways to get me.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #57
fzfrank
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm on TMO and I just use my TMO address for forwarding. I just deleted the address, added a new one and updated my 2 e-mail accounts. It took about 2 minutes and I assume that will do the trick.

I assume senders to the old TMO address will get an "undeliverable" message, but I just tested that theory and I haven't received such a message in over 5 minutes.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:59 PM   #58
CelicaGarage

Model: 8700R
Default Spam and unknown number calls

Hi All,

I've also started to get spam a couple weeks ago to my unadvertised email adddress on my BB but something else strange is happening as well.

Every day in the morning about the same time, I keep getting calls to my BB but there is no one on the other end. I just hear silence. the display says "unknown number"

Anyone else get these calls???

Regards,

Victor
Old 11-21-2006, 08:25 PM   #59
Lex Luthor

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

I hope RIM fixes the spam issue. I set up one filter where emails sent to my [email address] account are not delivered to the handheld but I kept getting spam. The "To" field had someone else's email address though. I saw Cingular and T-Mobile addresses so I had to tweek my filter again.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #60
rudiegirl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

I have a gmail and a yahoo account fwding email to my BB. On the yahoo account, if I get spam I can mark it as such and block that address. How can I do that from the BB? If I can delete a msg off the BB and my POP mailbox at the same time, why can't I also mark it as spam and block the sender?

Thanks!