Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
fefomendez

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default room_service ringtone

Please Login to Remove!

I lost my room_service ringtone when I updated my BB. can anyone tell me where can I get again?

Thank you.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #2
Spectral
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23FA9743
Carrier: T-Mobile

You'll need a file called net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g .cod from the Java directory of your old OS. Once you find it, place it into your new OS Java directory.
(Note: There's no space before ".cod", forum software breaks long words)

Open your BlackBerry.alx file in Notepad and look for the following:
Code:
<files>
  net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_sonicnetworks.cod
</files>
You have a choice here. If you just want your old tunes back and don't care about any new ones, then you can just replace the filename shown there like this:
Code:
<files>
  net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.cod
</files>
If you want to merge the two sets of ringtones and have access to both, add another line like this:

Code:
<files>
  net_rim_bb_media_tunebundles_sonicnetworks.cod
  net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g.cod
</files>
If you decide to merge, keep in mind that some tunes won't show up in the list when you're selecting from the profiles section. The ones that don't, you can either browse for, or select from the Media section and apply as a ringtone.

I can't remember if the first or second referenced .cod file takes precedence.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I think calling the front desk might work?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Great topic and advice!

Thanks guys!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
djmonkey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Cingular
Default Same here--Any other way to get the ringers??

That's the only ringer I miss.

Is there some way bluetooth it or some place where people are warehousing ring tones on the site??
Old 07-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
davedcraig

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefomendez View Post
I lost my room_service ringtone when I updated my BB. can anyone tell me where can I get again?

Thank you.
Here's how I installed the missing Room Service ringtone that was present before I upgraded to version 4.2.1.101 of the OS:

Uninstalled version 4.2.1.101 of the OS from your computer using the installer and downloaded version 4.2.0.54 again from BlackBerry's website.

Pulled the "net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g. cod" file from the following path "c:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.54.../java/" and placed it on the desktop.

Next I downloaded and installed the BlackBerry JDE Component package from BlackBerry's website.

Once this developer package is installed go to your Start menu and select the "JDE Components Command Prompt"

Plug in your BlackBerry via USB and type the following into the JDE Prompt:
javaloader -usb load then drag the .cod file you placed on your desktop with the ringtones to the prompt window for the path and press enter. You should see the console uploading the data to your BlackBerry. If it doesn't work make sure you left a space between "load" in the command string and the path to the .cod file. After the files been uploaded your phone should have a white screen with the hour glass, this process will take a bit. When it done the phone should reset and the "Room Service" ringtone and many others from the previous OS should be present. This same process will work if you want vender themes as well.

Hope that helps you.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedcraig View Post
Here's how I installed the missing Room Service ringtone that was present before I upgraded to version 4.2.1.101 of the OS:

Uninstalled version 4.2.1.101 of the OS from your computer using the installer and downloaded version 4.2.0.54 again from BlackBerry's website.

Pulled the "net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes8700g. cod" file from the following path "c:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/8100-v4.2.0.54.../java/" and placed it on the desktop.

Next I downloaded and installed the BlackBerry JDE Component package from BlackBerry's website.

Once this developer package is installed go to your Start menu and select the "JDE Components Command Prompt"

Plug in your BlackBerry via USB and type the following into the JDE Prompt:
javaloader -usb load then drag the .cod file you placed on your desktop with the ringtones to the prompt window for the path and press enter. You should see the console uploading the data to your BlackBerry. If it doesn't work make sure you left a space between "load" in the command string and the path to the .cod file. After the files been uploaded your phone should have a white screen with the hour glass, this process will take a bit. When it done the phone should reset and the "Room Service" ringtone and many others from the previous OS should be present. This same process will work if you want vender themes as well.

Hope that helps you.
While this method does work to get the tunes to the device the only problem is the next time you connect the device to Desktop Manager/Application Loader to install a new program it will delete that .cod file because it is unrecognized. The method described by Spectral will install the .cod with the wanted tunes and they will stay there for all subsequent connections to the Application Loader. I loaded those extra tunes on that way a long time ago and it works quite well.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
meatlaw

Model: Bold
Carrier: at&t

Does anybody have the .cod file handy, or a link to it somewhere? I don't seem to have the old OS on the hard drive anywhere, and I'd also like to get this ringtone back. Thanks, all.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

<Bump>

Looking for that *.cod file as well.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

http://webpages.charter.net/john.cla...tunes8700g.cod

Install the above .cod using javaloader or by editing the Blackberry.alx file to install it and you'll have all the old ringtones back...

Edit: Or download the following zip file and install it just as you would any other 3rd party app. It includes an .alx file and the .cod. Simply download and unzip into a folder somewhere you won't delete. Then open Desktop Manager/Application Loader and click "add" and browse to the .alx file. Finish out the installation.

http://webpages.charter.net/john.cla...tunes8700g.zip

Last edited by John Clark; 07-28-2007 at 07:07 PM..
Old 07-28-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
http://webpages.charter.net/john.cla...tunes8700g.cod

Install this .cod using javaloader or by editing the Blackberry.alx file to install it and you'll have all the old ringtones back...
Awesome, thanks Captain! I believe this is just what I needed.

One thing though. Help this somewhat computer unsavvy person out will ya? What is a javaloader? Are you referring to the Desktop Manager?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Edited the above post with a zip file which includes an .alx file and a .cod file to install just as a 3rd party app. The Captain always takes good care of his crewmembers!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
meatlaw

Model: Bold
Carrier: at&t
Default Thank you!!

Quote:
The Captain always takes good care of his crewmembers!
You certainly did in this case. Thank you so much. It's great to have the old ringer back!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #14
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Edited the above post with a zip file which includes an .alx file and a .cod file to install just as a 3rd party app. The Captain always takes good care of his crewmembers!
You're awesome! Thanks, Captain - worked like a charm!

P.S. Of all the generic-sounding, non-fancy, simple ringtones, this was my favorite. Now I can stop using ClassicPhone.

Last edited by Hemiolia; 07-28-2007 at 08:55 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 12:05 AM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Glad to help.

--The 10
Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #16
MartinMu

Model: 8100v
Carrier: Swisscom

Thanks so much !!!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 PM   #17
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

I hope I don't break sterile c0ckpit by asking, but I'd like to ask my favorite flight deck crew if it's possible to create an .alx that merges the two sets of ringtones. Hope I don't sound greedy or high maintenance. It'd be nice to have the ninja notifier with my room service ring tone.

I promise to save you an extra crew meal and a Maxim magazine on our next flight.

Last edited by Hemiolia; 07-31-2007 at 03:38 AM..
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wow, great benefits but I'm not sure which two sets of ringtones you're talking about. I don't know which .cod has the "ninja notifier."
Old 07-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #19
djmonkey

Carrier: Cingular

John Clark rocks as usual.
Is there a way to delete the ringtones I will never use? Or at least the duplicates? I have two caffeine ringers one wav one mp3.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
Spectral
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23FA9743

There is no way to delete individual ringtones from a tune bundle.
Closed Thread