Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
tdstr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Default Address Book/Calendar mix up

Please Login to Remove!

I have Exchange 2003, BES 4.1 and 8700c BB's. I had a situation where I needed to swap two BB users devices. User1 would get user2's BB and vice versa.

This was easy enough for me to do; I first chose 'Erase Data and Disable Handheld'. Then I chose 'Assign Device'. This all appeared to work ok; email looked fine but the Address Book was a mix of both user1 and user2's Outlook Contacts. The same thing happened with the Calendar as well.

Now on the desktop if I go into Outlook Contacts it al also shows both users Contacts merged together as well as the Calendar. If I were to guess it almost seems like 'Erase Data and Disbale Handheld' did NOT erase all data on the BB.

Did I do this whole process wrong or is this something else? I'm really stumped here.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Seems like you did everything right. When you send a kill command to a device it wipes everything and I have never known it not to. If the contacts and calendars are merged in Outlook then that must have happened prior to the device being killed and reactivated although I have no idea how unless someone set calendar and contacts to local sync and someone plugged them in to Desktop Manager and allowed everything to sync up without wiping the devices first.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
tdstr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Thank you for your reply!

I have a theory on what might have happened. First off user1 was my boss and user2 is me. Long story short Cingular disabled my boss's BB by mistake(whole entire other story). My boss needed to be on a plane to London within 2 hours and he needed a BB. So I config'd my BB for my boss and took his BB. I'm not sure if I actually chose 'Erase Data and Disabled Handheld' when I did this.

Since Cingular disabled the BB I got a new blank sim card and used it in my boss's old BB and config'd it for myself. I did use 'Erase Data and Disabled Handheld' when I did this.

Now, when I go to my boss's PC and check Outlook his contacts/calendar. Sure enough, my contacts/calendar were mixed with his. I deleted one of my contacts on my boss's pc, that contact did NOT get deleted in my Outlook contacts so it doesn't appear to me that the contacts/calendar is NOT tied directly with mine(this is good) even though we're using Exchange 2003.

It looks like all I have to do is delete the extra contacts/calendar info and I should be set. ugh, I now have a headache just trying to describe what has happened :(
Closed Thread