BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
DThompson

Model: 7100
Default BES Behaving Oddly

Please Login to Remove!

Hi people.
I am fairly new to BES, having taken this over from an ex employee.
This forum is a great resource and I am learning heaps.
I am a moderately competent Domino admin and we are running the following:
Domino 6.5.5
BES 4.0.1.11 (thats what the manager says)

They both run on the same 2K server box and have done so with no real issues for at least a year. However, we recently created a new AD structure and added this mail/BES server to it. First week all seemed fine and then we started to get people calling saying they weren't getting mail.
No errors on the server, nothing wrong on the BB.
Deleting the user and re-adding them fixes the issue, for a while.
The BES server throws up a lot of errors in the event log, but it apparently always has.

Just some background info:
I have 2 new blades in our blade centre which I want to move the mail server and BES server to as I know having them on the same box is not a good idea.
But until I am ready to do that safely I need to get this 'dropping off' issue sorted.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking?
All the BB and Domino services are running etc

Thanks in advance.

PS anyone who has done the sort of migration I am planning is welcome to contact me with suggestions or advice

Cheers!

Damo
Old 10-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
TheBesWizard

Model: gamma

"The BES server throws up a lot of errors in the event log, but it apparently always has"

And these errors are???

What's in your mail agent log? The log file who's title contains _MAGT_

tbw
Old 10-13-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
DThompson

Occassional:
Userid 10000 BackupConector
[ODBCRecord::DeleteRecord]Error executing SQL statement "DELETE FROM SyncBackupRestore WHERE UserConfigID = ? AND DatabaseName = ? AND UID = ?" DATA: UserConfigID[84] DatabaseName[Phone Hotlist] UID[584124603]. No rows to delete

Heaps:
Userid 201xx (counting down) Blackberry Messaging Agent EDDO (mail server name)
[ODBCRecord::DeleteRecord]Error executing SQL statement "DELETE FROM SyncBackupRestore WHERE UserConfigID = ? AND DatabaseName = ? AND UID = ?" DATA: UserConfigID[84] DatabaseName[Phone Hotlist] UID[584124603]. No rows to delete

Heaps: (but fixed as I have re added the user and it has recreated the state database
Userid 10300 Blackberry Messaging Agent EDDO
Cannot open state database for user (users name)/(mailserver) (File does not exist 0x0103)

Occassional:
Userid 17055 MSSQLSERVER
17052 :
This SQL Server has been optimized for 8 concurrent queries. This limit has been exceeded by 1 queries and performance may be adversely affected.

Heaps:
Userid 20xxx Blackberry Messaging Agent
The description for Event ID ( 20149 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Messaging Agent EDDO ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: Thread 1058, utilization=0.0000%, failed health check 860 times.

I hope this provides some meaning to you.
I mean I understand what is occuring, its just the cause of it I am unclear about.
I am beginning to wonder if we broke something in SQL when we changed the domain. (AD domain, nothing email related)

Any ideas on what to check?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 AM   #4
DThompson

Help?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:43 AM   #5
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

First thing I saw is 4.0.1.11 - your software is many service packs behind. Upgrade it. For exact server version, use the Domino console command "tell bes about" to determine, KB-01346 - What Is - Version numbers for BlackBerry Enterprise Server for IBM Lotus Domino has a table for your reference.

Cannot open state database for user (users name)/(mailserver) (File does not exist 0x0103)

The above is bad. Guess you need to take stock of your users. Compare active users VS the BES\state folders.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:31 AM   #6
0w3n

Model: 7730
Carrier: vodafone

Occassional:
Userid 17055 MSSQLSERVER
17052 :
This SQL Server has been optimized for 8 concurrent queries. This limit has been exceeded by 1 queries and performance may be adversely affected.

this is the MSDE having issues. basically MSDE is limited by the number of concurrent connections it can handle. try running dbc concurrency check. heres a web link which explains how to do it. www dot petefreitag dot com slash item slash 194.cfm (wont let me post a url as i havent made enough posts)

ideally for a bes running 500(this is what RIM say, not what real world shows) users or more you need to move the database to full sql - preferably to a new server or if on the same as the bes stick another 2GB ram in.

in reality your server may well run into issues with less that 500 users. dbcc will prove this. Also, does the bes provide service for remote domino servers? ie is a bes in london serving a bes in amsterdam, if so whats the link between sites?
Closed Thread