Old 01-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #1
rehilliard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9330
Carrier: Verizon
Default 5.0 and BESUserAdmin question

Please Login to Remove!

exch2k3 sp2

i'm in a lab trying to *understand* the changes in the 5.0 useradmin facility. it's a little hard to find any useful docs on the rim site, but i have a couple of questions that i hope someone has input on.

- it appears that there is no longer a dedicated service for useradmin. is this accurate?
- does anyone have some insight on the -set_client_auth option? i've tried multiple combinations and always get a "...could not authenticate..." error.

i'm sure i am misinterpreting the info that i have found. it appears i use this option to add credentials to the registry that has admin-role rights in the admin service on the bes...and then choose a password to be used by the useradmin tool? is that about right? i've tried using the bes "service account" and have also added an admin account (both are active directory accounts).

i'd appreciate any information or links to useradmin_for_dummies...

thanks.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #2
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

Have you looked at Release Notes:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/...ease_Notes.pdf

Relating to your problem, it says:

Functional changes

Installation

You install the tool using a Microsoft® Windows® Installer file with the following name:

brk-besuseradmin<platform_identifier><version>.msi

where

<platform_identifier> is <x> for Microsoft® Exchange or <d> for IBM® Lotus®Domino®

<version> is the release bundle

Example: brk-besuseradmind5.0.0.51.msi

Authentication and authorization

In BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0, the models for authentication (login) and authorization (roles or capabilities) for administration are different from the models that were used in previous versions. Roles or capabilities that are based on database user accounts are not supported.
In the BlackBerry Enterprise Server User Administration Tool version 5.0, you can use the following parameters interchangeably:

•“-username” or “-sqluser” (authentication user name)
•“-password” or “-sqlpass” (authentication password)

The tool uses the values associated with these options for the authentication and authorization models that are supported in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0. The tool does not does not support Microsoft® SQL Server® authentication or roles or capabilities that are defined on the Microsoft SQL Server database engine.

For information about authentication credentials, including syntax, storing credentials in and extracting credentials from the Windows registry, and use cases, visit BlackBerry - Manuals and Guides for Administrators to read the BlackBerry Enterprise Server User Administration Tool Administration Guide.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
sakura88

Model: 9500
Carrier: AT&T

is there anyone can advise me the direction, I have a blackberry phone, I need a silicone case to protect it, the material should be made durable and against damage and scratch, and it is transparent, any suggestion? thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

sakura88, how about going to the correct section in this forum and posting your question in your own thread?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
rehilliard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default besuseradmin

I have read the docs/release notes multiple times, but there's no real discussion of issues.

when i run the -set_client_auth option with -set_p, it adds the entry to the registry. I have confirmed that the userid that i'm "intending" to use has the appropriate rights. But, afterwards when I try a simple -list -groups to see if it'll work...i get "could not authenticate" followed by "an internal error containing the text "getremoteserverobject could not do JNDI lookup on 'ejb/bas/securitymanager/securitymanager' javax.naming.communicationexception...yada yada.

obviously, i'm goofing up when setting the credentials to access the admin service. I was hoping someone else had tripped over it and might point out something that's not so obvious to me.

thanks for the reply.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
rehilliard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default a little more progress...

after retrying the -set_client_auth option, and trying to run "besuseradmin -p pass -status", it still shows could not authenticate, although the correct userid is shown in the {} right before the message. But, at the bottom of the console output is the message "error while searching for required authentication plug-in".

i don't find that error on the support site...

any information would be appreciated...
Closed Thread