BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
tebuddy
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular/att
Posts: 6
Default Slow startup

Please Login to Remove!

My blackberry 8300 starts up incredibly slow, usually 30-60 seconds minimum. Something is obviosuly wrong, but I dont know what.

Only 2 non default applications installed

All pictures, video, ringtones, music are located on the 512mb sd card I currently have installed.

Once it has started up and gives me menu access everything runs smooth, the only problem seems to be the startup.

What can I do to find out whats wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited by tebuddy; 02-08-2008 at 12:27 AM..
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict
 
ScottMB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 822
Default

There is nothing wrong. It is perfectly normal for the Curve to take that long to boot up. That is why I rarely turn mine off.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #3
tebuddy
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular/att
Posts: 6
Default

Really?

That sounds....odd. I can boot my computer with vista faster than my phone boots up.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict
 
ScottMB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 822
Default

Then don't reboot your phone unless you really need to.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
tebuddy
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular/att
Posts: 6
Default

I install alot of different applications and themes which require a reboot to install/uninstall, not to mention the phone automatically does a powercycle whenever you add/remove media via media manager.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict
 
mike_187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: US and A
Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 794
Default

when you install apps it reboots, unless its ota, shouldnt do it on media manager. the OS is very secure and stable so its worth the boot up.
__________________
-MC-
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict
 
ScottMB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
Only 2 non default applications installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
I install alot of different applications and themes

Lol...
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
tebuddy
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular/att
Posts: 6
Default

Maybe I should have just said it outright when you first replied so you didn't need to cry.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong. It is perfectly normal for the Curve to take that long to boot up. That is why I rarely turn mine off.
I think thats bs.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
Only 2 non default applications installed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
I install alot of different applications and themes

Lol...
And to make things clear, when I actually noticed the slowness to be a problem, I uninstalled everything except what I needed because I hoped it would solve something.

Last edited by tebuddy; 02-08-2008 at 02:07 AM..
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict
 
ScottMB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 822
Default

Wow, whatever dude. Believe what you want. Its the truth. And I was making a joke about the applications, learn how to take one. Jesus.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #10
DyMndSkiR
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
DyMndSkiR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Virginia
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
PIN: 22F1E255
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 142
Default

Mine takes easily that long to startup, it isn't a big deal.

And you need to remember something, this is a phone, with a small processor and small amounts of memory. It is not a powerful desktop with excess amounts of processing power and memory to spare, which is why a computer can boot faster.

It is designed to only have what it needs to run well. So it takes a little while to startup. Who cares?

If you don't like waiting for it, go get a different phone, one in which you can spend less time booting up but have a probably significantly worse experience during all the time that it actually is on.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa
 
takeshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Houston
Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t
Posts: 7,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
I think thats bs.
I guess you're entitled to your opinion but every model (I've gone through 6 different ones myself) is slow starting up. There are a lot of checks that need to take place. If you want to confirm for yourself wipe the device and time the startup. That's as fast as your BB is able to start up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
I install alot of different applications and themes which require a reboot to install/uninstall, not to mention the phone automatically does a powercycle whenever you add/remove media via media manager.
The latter shouldn't happen. Try using Mass Storage Mode.

Last edited by takeshi; 02-08-2008 at 09:29 AM..
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.xxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10,149
Default

Actually, 30 seconds is very short for a blackberry startup. Try reloading the OS, can take at least 15 minutes depending on what you do
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
tebuddy
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular/att
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Wow, whatever dude. Believe what you want. Its the truth. And I was making a joke about the applications, learn how to take one. Jesus.
Well since this is a joke forum and all.....oh wait. Just because I dont accept your advice immediately doesn't make me right, or you wrong. If your not comfortable with the fact that what you say is going to be taken in question then don't say anything.

Quote:
I guess you're entitled to your opinion but every model (I've gone through 6 different ones myself) is slow starting up. There are a lot of checks that need to take place. If you want to confirm for yourself wipe the device and time the startup. That's as fast as your BB is able to start up.
That makes more sense, I can see the complexity of the blackberry os in how many capabilities it has, but do you know any of the specifics of the boot process?

Quote:
It is designed to only have what it needs to run well. So it takes a little while to startup. Who cares?
I find it particularly annoying to be able to load crysis before my blackberry boots up is all. Maybe your comfortable with the fact that your phone takes excess of a minute to give you the ability to make and receive calls, but I'm not.

Thanks for all your advice, please forgive my rudeness.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #14
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.xxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10,149
Default

if you were going to ask to have your rudeness forgiven, why not just... not be rude? and its a fact of blackberry life that the device takes longer than others to boot. just as it is a fact that the blackberry is much more secure than other devices. you get used to it/accept it in time.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.xxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
Really?

That sounds....odd. I can boot my computer with vista faster than my phone boots up.
try booting vista with a 400mhz processor and tell me how long it takes to start. everyone compares the blackberry to the PC, but it is not a PC.

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-08-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
tebuddy
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular/att
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
if you were going to ask to have your rudeness forgiven, why not just... not be rude?
Sorry, who started being rude in the first place? Was it me making a stupid joke because I cant handle being rejected?

Quote:
nd its a fact of blackberry life that the device takes longer than others to boot. just as it is a fact that the blackberry is much more secure than other devices. you get used to it/accept it in time.
Ive made peace with that, in my last post all I wanted was more specific information about the boot process.

Quote:
try booting vista with a 400mhz processor and tell me how long it takes to start. everyone compares the blackberry to the PC, but it is not a PC.
How can you say it has the basic architecture of a computer but fail to recognize it as one.

Last edited by tebuddy; 02-08-2008 at 04:06 PM..
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
ScottMB4
CrackBerry Addict
 
ScottMB4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
Sorry, who started being rude in the first place? Was it me making a stupid joke because I cant handle being rejected?
The stupid joke I made had nothing do to with what you said. Besides, I made the joke before you "rejected" my answer.
Offline  
Old 02-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #18
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator
 
Sith_Apprentice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Model: 9000
OS: 4.6.0.xxx
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 10,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebuddy View Post
Sorry, who started being rude in the first place? Was it me making a stupid joke because I cant handle being rejected?
didnt say you started it, but you realized you were in your own post, would have been easy to edit it out then.

Quote:
Ive made peace with that, in my last post all I wanted was more specific information about the boot process.
i do not know the specifics of the boot process, there may be others here that can answer that for you.


Quote:
How can you say it has the basic architecture of a computer but fail to recognize it as one.
The device is a "computer" in fact that it computes, but i specifically mentioned it was not a PC.
Offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #19
dude33333
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
dude33333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maine
Model: 8320
OS: 4.5.0.52
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Posts: 99
Default

mine takes like 3 minutes.... is there anyway to speed this up?
Offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator
 
rachamphetamine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW
Posts: 3,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude33333 View Post
mine takes like 3 minutes.... is there anyway to speed this up?
Is this after doing a battery pull?
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Orange Pi Zero 2 Board 1GB RAM Dual-band WIFI Open Source Board for Android 10 picture

Orange Pi Zero 2 Board 1GB RAM Dual-band WIFI Open Source Board for Android 10

$38.89



1/2Ton Spreader Hydraulic Jaw Ram Half Coupler 1/4

1/2Ton Spreader Hydraulic Jaw Ram Half Coupler 1/4" NPT PORTA POWER KIT TOOLS

$35.00



Eastwood Pro Former 90 Degree Hydraulic RAM Stainless Steel Tubing Bender picture

Eastwood Pro Former 90 Degree Hydraulic RAM Stainless Steel Tubing Bender

$619.99



32KX8 STATIC RAM CMOS SRAM CACHE MEMORY 386 486 MOTHERBOARD 28 PIN HIGH SPEED picture

32KX8 STATIC RAM CMOS SRAM CACHE MEMORY 386 486 MOTHERBOARD 28 PIN HIGH SPEED

$4.30



30T Hydraulic Cylinder Jack Hollow Single Acting Ram 2

30T Hydraulic Cylinder Jack Hollow Single Acting Ram 2"Stroke Pressure Pump 50mm

$128.99



TEMCo HC0016 - Hydraulic Cylinder Ram Single Acting 50 TON 4

TEMCo HC0016 - Hydraulic Cylinder Ram Single Acting 50 TON 4" Inch Stroke

$199.95







Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.