Old 08-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #141
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcialfp View Post
I just bought a Tour from Sprint. I previously had a Pearl and and then a BB 8900 both from T Mobile. So far I am pleased with my Sprint Tour, but have two complaints that may have more to do with my lack of knowledge than the phone itself:

1. The phone refuses (for me at least) to be set so that when a call comes in, whether in or out of the holster, it vibrates at least a couple of times AND rings at least 4 or 5 times. I would settle for multiple rings in or out of the holster, but it refuses.

2. Pages read through the Browser are too tiny to be readable. I can adjust on a case-by-case basis by "Zoom" or "Column view", but those fixes don't stay for the next time.

Features I like: better keyboard (for me) than on 8900, Sprint Nav.

#1 We had this happen to one of ours. Do a soft reset and remove the battery.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 PM   #142
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

BTW...The audio fix worked for a while and then it reverted back to the muffled quality. I exchanged two of our Tours. Still having same problem with new units. Keeping my fingers crossed for OS update.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #143
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tockmarket View Post
BTW...The audio fix worked for a while and then it reverted back to the muffled quality. I exchanged two of our Tours. Still having same problem with new units. Keeping my fingers crossed for OS update.
When you exchanged, what did the Verizon rep say about it? I am just wondering. I have not heard much about audio trouble with the phone.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #144
9duc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint

Well, I ordered my Tour on launch day, and don't have most of the problems listed here except for the loose battery door and glitchy trackball.

The battery door was an easy fix, but I finally decided to address the trackball issue. So, without much resistance, Sprint sent me a new unit, and I just got the package this morning

Anyway, this seems like a very good unit- none of the issues listed in this thread. The battery door is tight... interestingly, out of curiosity, I swapped both doors from old to new unit, and both doors were tight on the new one, and loose on the old one.

Also, regarding my main issue, the trackball works like a champ!! Very happy now.

edit- not sure if it makes a difference, but both were made in Mexico, the old one manufactured on July 14, 2009, while the new one was built on July 22, 2009 (if I'm reading the boxes correctly...)

Last edited by 9duc; 08-06-2009 at 10:45 AM..
Old 08-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #145
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
When you exchanged, what did the Verizon rep say about it? I am just wondering. I have not heard much about audio trouble with the phone.
He said he had not heard of troubles with the audio only the trackball. He was happy to exchange the units for me nonetheless and hoped it would fix my problem.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #146
SpectreBlofeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by sychocism View Post
Micro USB is the "standard" that has been adopted by manufacturers. I guess RIM decided to start earlier rather than later.

Universal cell phone chargers coming soon | 3GSM blog - CNET Reviews
I really hate MicroUSB. It's almost impossible to plug in without looking at it (in the dark, or while driving, etc) because it's so small, and it's harder to tell which way on the connector is 'up' by way of sense of touch than it was on MiniUSB.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #147
SpectreBlofeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I tried to hold off but I had to post.

Do you POSSIBLY understand that using a BlackBerry while charging in your car is a MAJOR hazard? I was almost hit today - TWICE - by some moron who was on his phone in his car.

RIM is a large corporation who may have been pressured to make it just SLIGHTLY less convenient for morons to use the device while driving.
The irony of your post is that by making the phone awkward to hold while plugged in, it's now become even more unsafe.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #148
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Good word things will get better when the new OS comes out.
My left/right movement with the trackball is sometimes a bit unresponsive, and Viigo will freeze up for maybe 5 or 10 seconds during an update. Sometimes it does this a couple of times during the same update. Mildly annoying, but like you said, a software update will probably address these things. We haven't really had one yet. At least my tour came with the latest OS. I'm willing to give it some time, because everything else is fabulous about this device!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #149
tkfische

Carrier: VZW

someone mentioned above that its better to charge the phone with it off, but any other news on this? i usually leave my phone on 24/7 and leave it plugged in all night. any downsides to this with the tour?

also, has anyone else had problems typing using any words that have "you" in them? thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #150
ffejie

Model: 9650

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfische View Post
also, has anyone else had problems typing using any words that have "you" in them? thanks
The ONLY thing I can think of is that your thumb is hitting the trackball on the way away from the U. Imagine if you are typing, and after you type the U, the cursor goes back one space.

Like this: '|' represents your cursor.

How are you|

How are yo|u

How are yo doi|u

While you are typing, watch closely to see where the characters are being entered. Is it most of the time or ALL of the time?
Old 08-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #151
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfische View Post
someone mentioned above that its better to charge the phone with it off, but any other news on this? i usually leave my phone on 24/7 and leave it plugged in all night. any downsides to this with the tour?

No problem with leaving in on 24/7 and plugged in all night. These batteries like to be kept topped off.

I haven't noticed any problems typing "you". What problem are you having?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #152
tkfische

thanks for the responses everyone. it could be what ffejie is talking about but ive done it super slow and still had it happen, making sure i wasnt brushing the trackball at all so im not sure whats up
Old 08-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #153
patriot123
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Tour
Default Manufacture Date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9duc View Post
Well, I ordered my Tour on launch day, and don't have most of the problems listed here except for the loose battery door and glitchy trackball.

The battery door was an easy fix, but I finally decided to address the trackball issue. So, without much resistance, Sprint sent me a new unit, and I just got the package this morning

Anyway, this seems like a very good unit- none of the issues listed in this thread. The battery door is tight... interestingly, out of curiosity, I swapped both doors from old to new unit, and both doors were tight on the new one, and loose on the old one.

Also, regarding my main issue, the trackball works like a champ!! Very happy now.

edit- not sure if it makes a difference, but both were made in Mexico, the old one manufactured on July 14, 2009, while the new one was built on July 22, 2009 (if I'm reading the boxes correctly...)

Where do you find the date? Mine says made in canada.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #154
jor17

Model: 8703e

Is anyone else's Tour slow or delayed? I feel like mine lags a lot...can I do anything to clean this up? Delete applications maybe?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #155
terryzx

I am on Verizon and my GPS is working fine

I have an ongoing problem where if I delete multiple messages the alert that it is deleting them pops up and won't go away without a battery pull
Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #156
terryzx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor17 View Post
Is anyone else's Tour slow or delayed? I feel like mine lags a lot...can I do anything to clean this up? Delete applications maybe?

Yea....mine was lots faster before I added a lot of apps
Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #157
felscurve

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor17 View Post
My original Tour was incredibly slow, so I brought it back to Verizon, they brought it back to it's original state and it was still slow....walked out with a new Tour and this one works like it's supposed to ..........fast and sweet

p.s. I would recommend (for any BB), if there are apps that you never use and have no need for...get rid of them.

Last edited by felscurve; 08-09-2009 at 09:11 AM..
Old 08-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #158
netwiz1

Model: 8703
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
Sometimes your battery will need about 3 to 5 charges before it work 100%. I would leave it on the charger all night and you should start to see improvement after that.
Yea, I think you are right. It took several battery charges before my phone showed any real battery life.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #159
jimn367
Thumbs Must Hurt

Exceedingly long reset times, and the fact I have to reset after deleting apps.

The fact that some of the apps I have deleted have made themselves and 'archive' that I cannot delete.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #160
BoogieNYC

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Tour Problems

Call Timer -- weird number display (temporarily wonks out);
Battery Door -- Loose and wiggles while closed/sealed;
Some Sounds/Vibrate Profiles not responsive (Facebook vibrates despite notifications for Facebook being disabled/silent);
Battery life is mediocre at best;
Call Quality occasionally is mediocre;
Phone gets warm easily (charging, talking, data use);
The version of Hold 'Em that is included with the device frequently displays a clock icon (when entering a bet, backing up, or ending the application);
The inclusion of a USB micro (not mini) plug makes charging/data transfer a lot less easy than it would be with the mini plug;
The non-Verizon theme (Precision Zen) is useful but not great, would love new themes.

Finally, on occasion, I get a random reset that takes up to five minutes to resolve itself. That little clock icon is on a white screen and nothing for awhile. Not sure what this is, but if it continues after the next version of the OS hits I'm swapping mine out. I dunno if it's a problem with the phone, the OS, or if Verizon is just trying to torture me, but something's up

I'd buy this phone again in a heartbeat, it's definitely an improvement over the Curve (my Curve would crap out daily thanks to Facebook and other RAM-intensive applications). However, some of these problems might be more than just first-version problems.

My first major concern was the battery. I received the phone via Fedex (pre-order) and since that day I've had to charge the phone pretty regularly. I got two drop-in cradle/chargers (RIM products) so it's not painful to charge, but data transfer is a bit of a chore. No big deal, but I wish they'd stayed with the mini and not gone to the micro. Harder to connect, and I'm hoping the port lasts a year. Not optimistic.

The second issue was with the wonky stuff -- the call timer, the Facebook notifications (and other mysterious notifications) that I shouldn't be getting...I think sometimes this thing has a mind of its own, or -- more likely -- that RIM/VZW need to do some more tweaking to make sure these weird phenomena don't remain with the phone in the coming OS revision.

The third issue -- the battery door. This phone feels fairly tight (much moreso than the Curve). The keyboard has a good rubbery texture to it and I'm comfortable typing on it. So why did they include a wiggly, jiggly battery door? The door, btw, has a carbon fiber pattern on it that looks pleasant, but once Seidio or another company comes out with a replacement (like the one I got for my now-retired Curve) I am guessing I'll be buying.

My guess is the balance of my "complaints" will be addressed with the next OS revision. Battery life will get better -- this is the same battery as is in the Storm, so I've got faith it will be improved. The theme issue will be cleared up once Plazmic moves forward with its kit, and there is always an early-adopter price to pay. But some of these complaints, I hope, will be remedied soon.

I'll repeat, however, that I've no regrets in getting this phone, or doing so early on. Really solid and despite the little speed-bumps, it's a solid product and I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

Last edited by BoogieNYC; 08-11-2009 at 03:03 AM..
Closed Thread