BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
panthers1

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default T-Mobile Blackberry Curve 8320 Internet Question.

Please Login to Remove!

I just recently got a Blackberry Curve 8320 for T-Mobile. Now I was wondering can I use the Wi-Fi connection to access the Internet for free without paying for the data plan or paying T-Mobile the $15 a month for Internet? I'm new to Blackberry so I pretty much know nothing about them.

Thank You.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
panthers1

I figured you couldn't but I wasnt to sure, thats why I figured I would ask here. I posted in another forum and someone told me yes.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

You may be able to get on the internet with Opera Mini via WiFi. But you won't be able to get the BlackBerry Browser without a BlackBerry Data Plan.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
panthers1

That's what I'm probably going to do, just download mini opera, I could careless what browser I use, as long as internet access is free I'm good.

Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #6
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

FYI: for tmobile in the US, the BlackBerry data plan is at least $25/month.

Also, while I'm not sure if the rules have changed recently but you used to be able to use the BB browser while using wifi even if you didn't have a data plan. That's how I used my phone when I first got it (no data plan initially). Make sure you go to Options>Advanced>Browser and select wifi/hotspot browser under the "Default browser config."

Again the rules might have changed as Tmobile now requires data plans for all BB devices (with the exception of Pearl and Pearl flip).
Old 11-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers1 View Post
Now I was wondering can I use the Wi-Fi connection to access the Internet for free without paying for the data plan or paying T-Mobile the $15 a month for Internet?
Your question is really too vague. It depends on what you mean by "access the internet". Certain apps that require data will require a BB data plan. Others don't.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
panthers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
Your question is really too vague. It depends on what you mean by "access the internet". Certain apps that require data will require a BB data plan. Others don't.

I want to be able to check my emails ( aol) and browse the internet at home thru my wireless router or go to sites like Craigslist, Facebook, etc. Now a few people are telling me that I can thru the Wi-Fi on my phone, as long as I'm by a wireless Internet connection like my home router, but on the other hand others are saying no you need the BB data plan to be able to do this.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

If you are just browsing the internet, checking FB, email -- for the most part you can use your wifi connection and without a data plan (again this is assuming that the rules haven't changed and they allow wifi usage without BIS).

What others are generally referring to about requiring a data plan is that many of the BlackBerry apps require a data plan in order to be used. And some will only work with the BlackBerry data plan (BIS).
Old 11-26-2009, 02:24 AM   #10
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

It's an old thread and it's long, but might really help:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...n-cant-do.html
Old 11-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
panthers1

So I set-up the Wi-Fi connection and I can't access the internet browser, it says you are not currently subscribed to a web2go (sm) plan. Now can I download mini opera and use that as an internet browser without paying for the plan?

BTW I went to mini opera's website to research about download the program, it says

"Note: If your handheld is running BlackBerry System Software previous to 4.0, you must install the Basic version of Opera Mini through over the air installation."

I believe I have bb software V 4.5.0.81. And what do they mean by ove the air installation?

Sorry about all the questions.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthers1 View Post
So I set-up the Wi-Fi connection and I can't access the internet browser, it says you are not currently subscribed to a web2go (sm) plan. Now can I download mini opera and use that as an internet browser without paying for the plan?

BTW I went to mini opera's website to research about download the program, it says

"Note: If your handheld is running BlackBerry System Software previous to 4.0, you must install the Basic version of Opera Mini through over the air installation."

I believe I have bb software V 4.5.0.81. And what do they mean by ove the air installation?

Sorry about all the questions.
Over the air (aka OTA) is done directly through the BB browser, so not an option for you. The other method is downloading to a PC then installing through Desktop Manager.

Many apps like the Google apps only download ota, so you won't be able to get those. Opera Mini, you can download and install from the PC. And I think you can use newer versions of Opera Mini.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #13
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Panthers1, did you make sure to select the wifi or hotspot browser for you default browser config?

(Options>Advanced>Browser)

When I didn't have a data plan, I used wifi and the BB browser to download all my programs (Opera Mini included).
Old 11-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post

Panthers1, did you make sure to select the wifi or hotspot browser for you default browser config?

When I didn't have a data plan, I used wifi and the BB browser to download all my programs (Opera Mini included).
Oops, guess I was wrong. I thought there was no way to do ota without a data plan. At least that's what I've read right here on blackberryforums. Guess I've not followed those threads all the way through.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #15
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

No worries. I've come across some of those posts as well. I always assumed it was normal unless I have a "special" BB, which so far doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
panthers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post

Wow thank you very much for all your help, that worked perfectly. You are the best, again thank you very much.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #17
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

You're welcome! Glad to hear that was a relatively simple fix.
Closed Thread