BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
Araaf

Arrow BerryVine Companion public test

Please Login to Remove!

Dear all,

We need your help... In order to establish the quality of our geographical data, we need to test our upcoming BerryVine Companion application for accuracy. That is why we would like to direct as many color BlackBerry users, with active direct TCP or BES/MDS connections, from the US, Canada and Western Europe, to our demo site

http://bb.berryvine.com ,

where they can download the pre-release demo (at the bottom of the list). No registration whatsoever is necessary, you can just install the application directly to your BB, Over-The-Air.

Please try out the application and let us know your thoughts. BerryVine Companion currently does not support Points Of Interest for US & Canada, but it does for most Western European countries and Scandinavia. Use of a NMEA compatible Bluetooth GPS antenna is optional, but required if you want to use the GPS guidance functions. Make sure your GPS antenna is turned on an paired to the BlackBerry. Support for 7520 built-in GPS is not implemented yet.

You are free to test the maps, the calculated routes and if possible the navigational functionality (if you have a Bluetooth BlackBerry and GPS antenna). If you are in Western Europe or Scandinavia, please try out the POI's too. Please post your findings here or PM them to me. Thanks!

To the BlackBerryForums administrators/owners: we apologize if this topic doesn't fit your policies or causes you inconvenience. Please remove it, if it does. We will try to setup an alternative method of processing the feedback we get. Our goal is definitely not to abuse your hospitality!

Since our company RSIC is based in the Netherlands, we do not have access to all existing BlackBerry models and networks. We don't have a US/Canada office yet, so testing of the geographical data and GPS functionality relies on partners, volunteers & enthusiasts from those parts of the world. This forum offers us a good way to reach large amount of BB users on all kinds of models. Thank you for making this possible!

Sincerely,

RSIC
Araaf Razab-Sekh
Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

I downloaded the program but am having some problems. I have a Nextel 7520. I'm not on a BES, I assumed (I know, I know!) that I have a TCP connection since I can browse websites and use the various chat software etc.

When I try to get a GPS fix it just sits there and does nothing. When I try to pull up a map it starts to load (I get the loading bar) and then says "error connecting to server". The loading bar comes back and just keeps going and going and going.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
cohiba smoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZ

Same thing here as jwaters. fix just sets there and does nothing.
When I try to get a map, it says" Get GPS data" then goes back to the main screen and the loading bar goes away. I went outside so I was in direct view of the sky and that didnt help either. But I did get out of my office for awhile doing "research" so it wasnt a total waste of my time.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
cohiba smoker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: VZ

Ok.. I did get the map to work by unchecking "use current gps location", but still no luck with the gps. I'm using a 7520 without BES
Old 06-23-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
pbaird
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

says on the webpage that it doesn't support the built in 7520 GPS yet
Old 06-23-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

At the moment, posting about a free beta test is fine with BlackBerryForums. This goes for all vendors. So far, this one meets BlackBerryForums rules as far as I know.

(Basically, resonable guidelines are used: As long as no prices are quoted either here or on the beta test page, and there's no spyware, adware, trojans, etc, no spamming, and you are not hijacking sponsor threads, or hijacking competitor threads, and the beta test is genuine rather than promotionary.)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 06-23-2005 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-24-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
Araaf

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the response so far. To make things more clear: the application does not support 7520 built-in GPS yet. Sorry if there is confusion. It does support use of a NMEA compatible Bluetooth GPS antenna, which is also possible to use with the 7520. 7520 GPS is upcoming. Please keep on telling us the results.

Sincerely,

Araaf
Old 06-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
Araaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
At the moment, posting about a free beta test is fine with BlackBerryForums. This goes for all vendors. So far, this one meets BlackBerryForums rules as far as I know.

(Basically, resonable guidelines are used: As long as no prices are quoted either here or on the beta test page, and there's no spyware, adware, trojans, etc, no spamming, and you are not hijacking sponsor threads, or hijacking competitor threads, and the beta test is genuine rather than promotionary.)
Thanks for the elaboration Mark! We are happy that we aren't breaking any current rules here and this test definitely adheres to the criteria you speak of here.

Sincerely,

Araaf
Old 06-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #9
jlopatin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default issues with software

I have been testing this software with a GPS device and my verizon 7250 blackberry. It connects to the GPS, and gets the position information, but when I try to get the "current location map", it fails. Sometimes, it gives a "binary http" error. Sometimes, it will go to the map screen, but show the map as a blank page.

I will continue to test this. It has HUGE potential. Please remember to post links to updated versions of the beta!

thanks!!
Old 07-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #10
Araaf

Thanks for this info Joshua. We didn't encounter the binary http error before. We are looking into this and will put a new version online soon!

-Araaf
Old 07-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #11
ems275
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlopatin
I have been testing this software with a GPS device and my verizon 7250 blackberry. It connects to the GPS, and gets the position information, but when I try to get the "current location map", it fails. Sometimes, it gives a "binary http" error. Sometimes, it will go to the map screen, but show the map as a blank page.

I will continue to test this. It has HUGE potential. Please remember to post links to updated versions of the beta!

thanks!!
I am having the same problem and getting the same error w/ a 7520 on Nextel
Old 07-09-2005, 06:24 AM   #12
Araaf

Hi guys,

You can download a new version that is available through the same link (http://bb.berryvine.com). Please uninstall the old version before you reinstall this new one. Please let us know if the above mentioned problem persists.

Sincerely,

Araaf
Old 07-09-2005, 07:24 AM   #13
maltic
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile Germany

Hi,

I tested the latest version w/o GPS and tried the route function. Unfortunately there seem to be only major streets supported for cities in Germany, this means many streets are missing and therefore the routing information is incomplete and not usable here in Germany.

Cheers,
M.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Does the new version support the 7520 or are we just out of luck?
Old 07-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #15
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Any idea when the 7520 GPS will be supported that would really be a nice feature for me and probally most other 7520's
Old 07-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #16
jlopatin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Default testing new version

Araaf-
I upgraded to the newest version on my Verizon 7250. I am using a Holux GPSlim 236 GPS device.

It gets a fix from my GPS much faster. However, when I go into the menu and select "show current position", It is showing the wrong location. I am at:

It is showing me as standing next a lake in a place with no roads. Actually, I am in Chicago, but no where near a body of water.

Also, when I type in an address on the "get map" screen, it is not showing the location I ask for. This WAS working in the previous release.

When I tried the get route feature, I put in two specific street addresses. The route it gave pointed me from the center of one zip code to the center of the destination zip code. It did not point me to the correct destination. Again, this WAS working in the previous release.

Please let me know what else I can do to help with the testing.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #17
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

My Version 0.75 has just expired.
Closed Thread