BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
emicros

Model: 7100
Default BES : User status sticks at "initializing"

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I'm setting up BES Express as a testbed for the technology, for just one user.
The install of BES all appeared to work ok, all of the test buttons in the configuration manager return success.

In the blackberry manager, I am adding a new user, and picking the user from the list of users on the server it displays (Windows 2003 Server Standard 5CAL SP1). The user appears in the users list, with a status of "Initializing". It has been that way for more than 24 hours.

I cannot associate my blackberry device with the user, as it tells me that I cannot while user is "initializing", which usually takes a few minutes. It's been 24 hours +.

I've tried deleting the user - it goes into the users pending deletion list and sits there. I cannot add another user because I only have a 1 CAL (which is fair enough). So, I restored the deleted user and still it sits there "initializing".

Any ideas please ?

Many thanks
Jase
Old 07-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Mlwii
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emicros
Hi

I'm setting up BES Express as a testbed for the technology, for just one user.
The install of BES all appeared to work ok, all of the test buttons in the configuration manager return success.

In the blackberry manager, I am adding a new user, and picking the user from the list of users on the server it displays (Windows 2003 Server Standard 5CAL SP1). The user appears in the users list, with a status of "Initializing". It has been that way for more than 24 hours.

I cannot associate my blackberry device with the user, as it tells me that I cannot while user is "initializing", which usually takes a few minutes. It's been 24 hours +.

I've tried deleting the user - it goes into the users pending deletion list and sits there. I cannot add another user because I only have a 1 CAL (which is fair enough). So, I restored the deleted user and still it sits there "initializing".

Any ideas please ?

Many thanks
Jase
When the status in the BlackBerry Manager is 'initializing', that means that no handheld is associated with it, or so is my understanding. I activate BlackBerry's all the time when the user is 'initializing'. What happens (error messages, etc) when you try to do an enterprise activation from the handheld?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
emicros

"An error ocurred while assigning the device to a user.
The user is not yet known to the BlackBerry agent.
It can take several minutes for a newly added user to
be fully initialized by the server before they can be provisioned (16)."

I have in the last half an hour contacted my service provider (Vodafone) who have registered my device to work as an Enterprise device - previously it was set as a consumer device. I have been advised elsewhere that this may be the root of the problem.

However, I still get the same error at the moment.

Perhaps I just need to wait a while for the changes to roll out across their network? Or perhaps this is not the cause of the problem?

I haven't got as far as an activation yet - I am currently trying to "assign device" in the device management screen of blackberry manager.

Thanks
Jase
Old 07-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
emicros

I now have my BB setup as an Enterprise device.
I still can't associate the handheld with the user i have added in BB manager, same error.

I can't complete enterprise activation on the handset, as it keeps trying, then retrying, then retrying, and all the while my exchange mailbox fills up with wonderful mails from bb.

Any ideas please guys?

Thanks
Jase
Old 07-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #5
baucomjd

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Sounds like your permissions aren't set right. If the message is staying in your inbox then the bes isn't able to access your mailbox. The bes has to see that email and take it out of your inbox for your handheld to activate wirelessly. You could try a wired activation, but I don't think the device would work once you got it activated anyway until you resolve this issue. Double and triple check your permissions settings on the exchange server and you will probably find the error.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
bumbrayp

Model: 7250
Question

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I attempted to install BES Express on my Windows 2003 Server communicating with my Exchange 2003 Servers. When I add a user, it remains in the status of Initializing and I get the same error :"An error ocurred while assigning the device to a user.
The user is not yet known to the BlackBerry agent.
It can take several minutes for a newly added user to
be fully initialized by the server before they can be provisioned (16)." when I attempt to assign my device to this user.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:25 AM   #7
DAdams91982

Carrier: USAF

ANYONE??? I have this same error... Blackberry has been going for 2 years now... so permissions are good... and now for anyone modified/deleted/readded, I get this same error!!!!

Adams
Old 07-26-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: Rogers

DAdams:
Don't assume the permissions are right. There have been a lot of cases recently where Microsoft has issued a patch and it has removed various rights in the Exchange server.

See these following .pdf documents for the last two changes and use them to make sure all the permissions are correct.
Livelink - Redirection
Livelink - Redirection

Zro
Old 07-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
Drewski

Model: 7750

I had that exact error when I was trying to connect assign a device to a user. The users account was deleted eariler and then re-created using the same username and email address. Leaving the old mailbox orphand on the exchange server.
The BES server didn't allow me to assign a device to the users new mailbox for whatever reason giving me the error above. I just deleted the users new mailbox and reconnected the old mailbox using the exchange manager.

Worked right after that.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:01 AM   #10
dwc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmob

I had the problem and found out I had failed to run the BB services as the BB user. Instead I was running them as the user I was logged in as (admin). So I followed the steps in this doc:

Livelink - Redirection

and migrated to the proper user account. This was my issue and it worked after that.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
Lannes

Model: 7290

We had this issue recently. RIM support checked the logs and found errors relating to MEMO attribute on Exchange Mailboxes causing intialization to hang. They gave us two options. Option one was wipe the device and delete the mailbox and recreate it then recreate everything from scratch. Option one sucks......

Option two was to create an IT policy to ignore the MEMO data and apply it then wipe the device and attempt the initialization for the user. Option two works and does not involve exporting PST files and everything that goes with deleting mailboxes in exchange.

"This is a known issue and will be addressed in future release".
Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
ng12

Model: 8700g
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
I had that exact error when I was trying to connect assign a device to a user. The users account was deleted eariler and then re-created using the same username and email address. Leaving the old mailbox orphand on the exchange server.
The BES server didn't allow me to assign a device to the users new mailbox for whatever reason giving me the error above. I just deleted the users new mailbox and reconnected the old mailbox using the exchange manager.

Worked right after that.

can u please explain me - what exactly u mean by "I just deleted the users new mailbox and reconnected the old mailbox using the exchange manager." & how u did this using explain. please give me the steps to do this.
I also have exactly same problem that u had.

thanks
gn12
Old 01-08-2008, 03:55 AM   #13
Maraudir

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

I too have the same issue. I deleted a user and readded him. Now i am unable to assign a device etc. Please let me know how to reassigned the orphaned mailbox.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #14
delicious

PIN: N/A
Carrier: att

I too had a similar issue:

BES 4.0 on 2003 Server
MS Exchange 2003
All rights where given to besadmin user on the exchange mailbox for the stuck user
User stuck on the BES at initializing
8800 Blackberry Enterprise Activation on the handheld would not activate

Checked my anti-spam email software on the Exchange server and noticed that an attachment with a .DAT extension was being sent to the user from [email address] when the Enterprise Activiation software on the handheld was trying to activate and was being blocked.

Removed .DAT from the blocked extension list in my anti-spam email software on the Exchange server and the handheld activated without issue.

Last edited by delicious; 02-26-2008 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: additional information
Old 07-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
Jeffsta

Model: 7300

I have been having this problem for three days and it finally dawned on me that I should try running the Blackberry Manager without the stinkin Exchange Manager running and guess what worked like a charm Not saying that permissions couldn't cause the problem however start simple ... u dig?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #16
teejayuu

Model: Bold
Carrier: Vodafone

Had the same problem. Solved by clearing the cache - stop/start the server
Closed Thread