WMurray
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIM_Next_Door
I found it, thanks.

Now it's telling me I have to install "Windows Management Tool" before I can install the "Exchange Management Tool." A search of Microsoft.com has proven to bring up nothing. No one seems to know what I'm talking about, but it's a warning box that pops up and tells me it can't continue.
Assuming you're on 2003 Server, you need to install the Windows Server 2003Administration Tools Pack on the machine you're installing ESM on. You can find it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en
Old 06-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #102
nickganga

Model: 9800
PIN: 22C6F5E5 (for now)
Carrier: AT&T

Just got mine working! YAY! Now I don't have to drop $20 a month for my hosted exchange account GO RIM!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #103
Benite

Model: 8700
Default besadmin user and normal user

Hi all,
new user here and first post... so be gentle. Also new to Blackberry.

I've setup BES4.1 (express version with 1 free CAL) on 2003 and have a seperate 2003 exchange server. We have one blackberry 8700 so that's the reason for setting up the express version.

The docs say to setup the BES as besadmin. OK done that and no more errors. Now when I go to add the real user (lets call him Robert) it says I already have a user called besadmin and it's sitting there on initializing.

Q1. However this user is not the user that has the blackberry. Do I delete the besadmin user that setup the whole thing and install the real end user called Robert?
Or should I setup the whole show with the end user (Robert) and ignore the docs saying setup BES using besadmin? Will this give errors on subsequent users?

Q2. on the BES in "Blackberry Manager - Security administrator Authority" Global, find handheld, I put in the PIN but get the message "the device cannot be found on any server. Please select the device or re-enter the PIN and try again". How do I input the blackberry into the BB domain? It seems to find users ok in the GAL.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:30 AM   #104
delphiman

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickganga
Just got mine working! YAY! Now I don't have to drop $20 a month for my hosted exchange account GO RIM!
Would you kind to share with us how you got it working?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 04:18 AM   #105
Firefishe

Sorry for the double post, hit the button twice by mistake. --Firefishe

Last edited by Firefishe; 06-21-2006 at 04:28 AM..
Old 06-21-2006, 04:23 AM   #106
Firefishe

Default BES for RV's! ;-) *Tongue In Cheeky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsbd
Finally getting the download @ home - thank goodness for comcast cable!! lol
How 'bout a MotoSat/Ground Control (wwwDOTgroundcontrolDOTcom) and DirecWay satellite on top of my RV! 2 hours or so isn't too bad for a .74 meter dish! Go Mobile!!

P.S. Yes, cable *is* faster!

--Firefishe

MotoSat .74m auto-pointing satellite dish
DirecWay DW6000 sat modem
D2 Controller
1998 Coachmen Mirada Class 'A' Gas
Recently-converted-from-PalmOne Treo (next to useless due to the high amount of random resets)-to-BlackBerry 8700c.
Just bought one for wifey, as well *She Loves It!*
Old 06-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #107
FGHTECH

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benite
Hi all,
new user here and first post... so be gentle. Also new to Blackberry.

I've setup BES4.1 (express version with 1 free CAL) on 2003 and have a seperate 2003 exchange server. We have one blackberry 8700 so that's the reason for setting up the express version.

The docs say to setup the BES as besadmin. OK done that and no more errors. Now when I go to add the real user (lets call him Robert) it says I already have a user called besadmin and it's sitting there on initializing.

Q1. However this user is not the user that has the blackberry. Do I delete the besadmin user that setup the whole thing and install the real end user called Robert?
Or should I setup the whole show with the end user (Robert) and ignore the docs saying setup BES using besadmin? Will this give errors on subsequent users?

Q2. on the BES in "Blackberry Manager - Security administrator Authority" Global, find handheld, I put in the PIN but get the message "the device cannot be found on any server. Please select the device or re-enter the PIN and try again". How do I input the blackberry into the BB domain? It seems to find users ok in the GAL.

Thanks in advance.

Q1A: Keep the besadmin account its for the BES services and MAPI. The user account that you will use in the BES manager will be the same account from AD. Hopefully when you installed BES you installed it while logged in under besadmin, if not you have to change all BES services, MAPI and some registry entries to use the besadmin service account.

Q2A. This feature is used if you already have the devices running within the BB domain.

Last edited by FGHTECH; 06-21-2006 at 03:47 PM..
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #108
reguy

Model: 7250
Default Individual User question

I work out of my home for a company who has an exchange server. I am able to connect to the exchange server remotely using my outlook client. I would like to get a blackberry and have it set up with full sync. They do not want to deploy BES.

Would it be possible to set up BES Express 4.1 on a spare Windows XP box at my house and have it connected to my exchange user account, which is not on the same network as the company exchange server?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #109
athenslb57
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

I have been wondering the same thing.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:58 AM   #110
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguy
I work out of my home for a company who has an exchange server. I am able to connect to the exchange server remotely using my outlook client. I would like to get a blackberry and have it set up with full sync. They do not want to deploy BES.

Would it be possible to set up BES Express 4.1 on a spare Windows XP box at my house and have it connected to my exchange user account, which is not on the same network as the company exchange server?
Technically yes. You will need to keep a VPN connection to your office LAN. You will need sugfficient rights to the Exchange accounts. And the network lag may kill you.

Other than that, you're OK.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #111
berry

Model: 7270

I have a question about the Blackberry Enterprise Server Express software.

This is what we have:
1. A Blackberry Handheld from RIM.
2. Windows Server 2003.
3. Email hosted by outside ISP (POP3 Accounts)
4. Blackberry Enterprise Server Express software with 1 license

This is what we want:
1. Install BES Express and be able to use BES Express for one user, and if it successful hopefully add more users.
2. Set up BES Express software with email POP3 service.

This is what we are trying to find out:

- How to set up BES Express using POP3 service, and if it is possible.

- What are the requirements for BES Express
Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM   #112
Littlelegs

Model: 7520

I was so glad to see the Express version come out as my Trial version of BES was just about to expire. I am running my own Exchange 2003 out of my house and have installed BES on my lone single DC. It works like a charm... except I am having problems synching from bb to outlook. I have done some searching, made/unmade some changes and haven't got it working yet. Having my e-mail push through from my home server is such a nice bonus while on the road.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #113
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by berry
- What are the requirements for BES Express
First you need an Exchange, Domino or GroupWise mail server. If you have a POP3 account you have no use for BES, go sign up for a BIS account.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:49 PM   #114
DJS1234

Model: 9000
PIN: xxxxxxxx
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Pre-Installation Questions

Hi everyone

I've just downloaded a copy of BESX 4.1.4 to try out. I'm an IT admin so don't worry I shouldn't have too many problems but wanted to pick your ever so knowledgable brains before I begin.

1) O/S wise it's going to be Windows2003 - is there any preference on service packs as I have an original 2003 disc so can make the install SP1 or SP2 but not sure if BESX has any preference as to what it is run on Also any preference on the Exchange service pack? (There will be no activesync devices so no need for Exchange SP2 if it's better for BES)

2) Is it better to install the full 2003 /Exchange 2003 packages or is Windows SBS2003 ok as it's a faster install but if I have to go down the full 2003 / Exch2003 route that's OK, I have licensing for both.

Basically my objective install is either SBS2003 or full Win2003/Exchange 2003 on 1 box with BESX running in VMWare on a Server 2003 guest O/S from the main server. The install will be clean ie. I will prep an AD forest and Exchange install instead of trying to install BESX into an existing AD/Exchange setup. I'm going to use a POP connector to feed exchange with mail from a POP mailbox for testing purposes so I don't have to change MX's etc at this point but as this is upstream from exchange the BES will never know the difference it's just a way of channeling the mail into Exchange.

I have noted from posts so far that I will need the Win 2003 admin tools pack and the Exchange system tools installed on the VMWare O/S for BESX to run correctly and give it access to MAPI32.DLL for mail transport.

As for BES setup procedues I have watched the Flash videos on RIM's site and they seem very comprehensive so I shall follow them along with guidance from the notes in the BESX package re:AD and Exchange Permissions.

Also any other pointers you have would be great / known pitfalls etc

Will post up my results as I go.

Thanks for your help in advance
Dan

Last edited by DJS1234; 08-26-2007 at 04:52 PM..
Old 08-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #115
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

1) 2003 SP2 is supported with 4.1 SP4; I'd go with it ... I'd also go with Exchange 2003 SP2

2) Use SBS only if you have to. If you have the hardware and licenses available install the full version of Exchange on its own box, install BES on its own box, and install your domain controllers on other boxes. Don't make either BES or Exchange a DC if you can avoid it ... if you have to, you might as well use SBS.

POP Connector; yuck yuck yuck. Sorry, its gross.

Follow the Installation directions. Print them out, use the checklists, do EXACTLY WHAT THEY SAY, and you'll be amazed at how easy it really is.

The only time I really ever run into problems is when I rush, and don't print out the docs to use as a checklist to keep me on task.

Good luck!

Oh, and next time spawn a new thread and then you can keep all of your own stuff under 1 thread rather than this old one with all sorts of discussion.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #116
DJS1234

Model: 9000
PIN: xxxxxxxx
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Hi thanks for the response so quick, other than the flash videos do you have a link to the install documentation so I can have a read of that also?

I'd probably not be able to seperate Exchange and the DC other than using another VM as I only have 1 box up to the task so can either go with Server2003 SP2 + 2x VM's 1 running BES and 1 running 2003/Exchange which would not be ideal from a performance and RAM point of view so I may just give it a go with SBS see how I get on.

As for the POP connector, it's not great but this is just a test and I can't be bothered with changing MX's right now although if the results of the test are positive I'll have the addresses changed over and be done with the POP connector. It's only one account so nice and straightforward to setup, no one-to-many/many-to-many pop accounts to worry about.

I'll start another thread next time, found the old one in a forum search and didn't notice how old it was

Thanks again
Dan

Last edited by DJS1234; 08-26-2007 at 05:25 PM..
Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #117
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Documentation: Go to BlackBerry Technical Solution Center and click on product documentation on the top right; bookmark the BTSC; its an excellent resource too.

Check this too .. Recommendations for installing BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express or BlackBerry Enterprise Server Small Business Edition

This doc is kinda the money for you too:

Installing BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express software version 4.1 for Microsoft Exchange

Read through all this, and ask some specific questions if you've got em.

If you're going to put a DC on either the BES or Exchange you might as well use SBS ... once you make an Exchange Server a DC, you CANNOT remove the DCX role from it ... you can however remove Exchange.

You could make the BES a DC; I've seen it, it works ... people do it; but I'd advise against it as your then making your BESAdmin account a Domain Administrator and you've got to do a little fiddling around ... again, it works; but definitely not best practice by any shake of the word.

Good luck with everything; just document document document, and use all the published documentation you can ... and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you're asking a question now, someone here has most likely had the same question go through their head at some point!
Closed Thread