Old 05-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #41
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS
all the permissions are correct its a strange issue, especially as RIM dont have the error codes listed either.

I thought I would post the 2 Log files it generates incase it can help:

"[ExchangeAdaptorDLL::Initialize] Failed to open default message store, result=0x8004011d."

"The description for Event ID ( 20406 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 'SERVER' agent 1: will not restart - reached the maximum of 10 restarts per 24 hours."
Are the BES services logged in with the same account specificied in the BlackBerryManager profile?

Are you using Outlook or the Exchange Management package on the BES Server machine? If Outlook, can you log on to the machine with the service account and try to open outlook with the BlackBerryManager profile?
Old 05-04-2006, 03:26 PM   #42
greenhut
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmo

This is great, but RIM support is going to get hammered with people who have no business attempting to set it up..
Old 05-06-2006, 03:06 AM   #43
SAS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

just to say I got it semi-working, I unisntalled and reinstalled and it did not complaign about the MAPI profile, however when I add the user it just sits at initalizing, and it alos picks up the secondary email address in AD Users and computers. not the primary one, which isn't that big a deal, but it has been stuck on initalizing for 24 hours now.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #44
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS
just to say I got it semi-working, I unisntalled and reinstalled and it did not complaign about the MAPI profile, however when I add the user it just sits at initalizing, and it alos picks up the secondary email address in AD Users and computers. not the primary one, which isn't that big a deal, but it has been stuck on initalizing for 24 hours now.
It's going to sit at inititalizing until the handset completes enterprise activation either OTA, connected via the users desktop, or connected via the BES server.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #45
kerryg

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

I have installed and manage BES at client locations but am the only one in our office with a Blackberry so I wanted to set this up. The new 4.1 version is visually pretty different from previous versions that were MMC based. The interface is pretty clean and it goes together pretty well for anyone with decent Windows and Exchange knowledge.

Once setup and an activation email is sent out, it is "usually" a simple matter to activate the device itself. No surprise surprise when I went to activate my own, the enterprise activation components were missing. A call to T-Mobile had that reset and another attempt was made wthout success. So I checked my account plan and seems you have to pay another $9 (on top of the unlimited plan already) for BES support. So this was enabled. Twelve hours later I am on hold with support again because I still cannot connect to the activation server. Had I known that this was going to be out, I certainly would have made sure my account was setup for it in the first place.

-KErry
Old 05-06-2006, 10:24 AM   #46
SAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyJ
It's going to sit at inititalizing until the handset completes enterprise activation either OTA, connected via the users desktop, or connected via the BES server.

Sorry ment to say if I try OTA it never works, just sits on activating for hours, and if I do it via the BES i get "An Error occured when assigning the device to the user
the user is not yet known to the blackberry agent
it can take several minutes for a newly added user to be fully initalized by the server before they can be provisioned (16) "

Hopefully RIM will send the details on the support package soon, really need the help getting this to work
Old 05-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #47
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS
Sorry ment to say if I try OTA it never works, just sits on activating for hours, and if I do it via the BES i get "An Error occured when assigning the device to the user
the user is not yet known to the blackberry agent
it can take several minutes for a newly added user to be fully initalized by the server before they can be provisioned (16) "

Hopefully RIM will send the details on the support package soon, really need the help getting this to work
have you attempted to going backwards and just starting over and making sure you didn't actually leave out a step? to be perfectly honest, usually when following the instructions step-by-step and not leaving out a thing, these installations are picture-perfect clean without issues.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #48
SAS

hi jibi, yes I wiped it and started again, same issues, the BB did give me a message there (finally) saying the server could not be contacted, but I am able to browse it from a remote location, confirmed port 3101 is open for TCP no luck, I will contact RIM when the support pack arrives.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #49
Scot43

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

SAS,
I have had a fully functioning BES until Thursday evening (microsoft patch day) there are apparently some issues with some changes that MS made to Exchange and implicit permissions. I have spent time on with Tech Support and have to wait till monday for a resolve now. I will post the KB number or just look down in this forum and it is there. I get the same error (agent shutting down)
Old 05-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #50
SAS

thanks but i think i will give up, I am having no luck, we will just get WM5 devices instead.

I took Jibi's suggestion and uninstalled, I then removed all BES accounts and started to recreate it all, went to do setup under the BESAdmin account and I get an error: "DB Upgrade Failed unable to open required file" Checked permissions and they are the same as mine, the setup works under my profile, but of course this isn't going to work properly.

Never had this amount of trouble with a product before, I know its probelly just bad luck but Since Exchange is al set up and OTA Activesync works I think its the way to go, thanks anyway.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #51
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Activesync......hahahaha
Old 05-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #52
SAS

southwestcomm laugh all you want, never had a issue with Activesync in an Exchange enviroment, been using it on a personnel phone for about 3 years now, so much easier to set up IMHO.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #53
jibi
BlackBerry God

ActiveSync isn't a robust enterprise solution for wireless email delivery either. Considering this is a non-Microsoft product working within the constraints of Microsoft-land, then its going to take a bit of work.

Are you the Exchange/Active Directory administrator for your company? If so, which version of each?
Old 05-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #54
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Yeah, it's easier and you have to go with what works for you. FYI though, we run both but there's a fairly steady rate of migration from WM/Activesync to Blackberrys just on user preference.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #55
IanHummel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

Question:

My work e-mail is through an exchange server. Right now my BB polls my Outlook box via OWA and I get my e-mail that way. So in order for this to work as a normal BES, I would have to have it running on my work computer at all times correct? If so, wouldn't that pretty much do the same as Redirector? I'ma bit confused.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #56
kerryg

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanHummel
Question:

My work e-mail is through an exchange server. Right now my BB polls my Outlook box via OWA and I get my e-mail that way. So in order for this to work as a normal BES, I would have to have it running on my work computer at all times correct? If so, wouldn't that pretty much do the same as Redirector? I'ma bit confused.
If that's all it did it wouldn't be worth it. But BES provides quite a bit more functionality. Not the least of which is full synchronization OTA with notes, calendar, and tasks.

However, you can't just "set this up" on your workstation. You have to have the ability to create a user on the server, setup specific permissions, and have access to administrative functions on the Exchange server to set up some very specific permissions there as well.
-Kerry
Old 05-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #57
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryg
If that's all it did it wouldn't be worth it. But BES provides quite a bit more functionality. Not the least of which is full synchronization OTA with notes, calendar, and tasks.

However, you can't just "set this up" on your workstation. You have to have the ability to create a user on the server, setup specific permissions, and have access to administrative functions on the Exchange server to set up some very specific permissions there as well.
-Kerry
technically, if its a single user configuration, then it could be setup by that user as they would have full permissions over their mailbox. now, if you were to add multiple users, then people would run into issues.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #58
rigeek

Here's a question - is it possible to run BES Express with my BB, but still maintain he BIS polling that goes on with my provider's network? In other words, I have 3 accounts being polled via BIS - ONE of them would be hooked into BES, can I still have BIS polling the other 2, or is it BIS -or- BES? Or, both?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #59
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

yes

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #60
rigeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
yes

Yes, as in I *can* have both? Cool. /runs off to download BESExpress...
Closed Thread