BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 01:54 PM   #21
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

what are most of you going to use it for? just wondering. i was thinking of getting it just to mess around with it.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:29 PM   #22
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Interesting. Please let us know how you all make out. I'm very interested in deploying this on my server.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #23
SAS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

well i downloaded it, have read the manual searched blackberry.com and google and still cant get it working, all I get when I open it up is: "failed to open default message store using the MAPI profile "BlackBerryManager" you will not be able to send messages from blackberry manager by email"

if anyone has an Idea I would appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:06 PM   #24
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

It's a shame you have to have the carrier's (usually more expensive) BES service ("applicable data service") enabled on the BB to be able to exploit this. For single users, having it work on a BIS-only enabled BB would get many more to try it, I think.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #25
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS
well i downloaded it, have read the manual searched blackberry.com and google and still cant get it working, all I get when I open it up is: "failed to open default message store using the MAPI profile "BlackBerryManager" you will not be able to send messages from blackberry manager by email"

Exchange permissions setup correctly for the BES service account?
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #26
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
It's a shame you have to have the carrier's (usually more expensive) BES service ("applicable data service") enabled on the BB to be able to exploit this. For single users, having it work on a BIS-only enabled BB would get many more to try it, I think.
The BES server is not really designed to be used by a single user, but rather businesses. How many people do you know run their own personal Exchange/Domino/GroupWise email server? As far as the carrier BES service, most wont have to pay anything extra. T-Mobile is the only carrier that I know of the seperates the BIS/BES expenses. If you use another carrier, your already paying for the BES capabilities.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #27
pjdrsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

I was able to get the download link in about 4 minutes. It is about a 450MB file. I can provide an example of where this is useful. We have two people in our office and about three people in a sister company offsite and were looking for a way to use an existing Exchange server with only having the expense of a BES. Now, we can forgo the $1500 BES and only have to get a box and have an admin put it all together. Is that not essentially what this provides? I don't think it is safe to assume that everyone now would want or need to become BES admins.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #28
richardsbd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: The 'new' AT&T (formerly known as Cingular)

Finally getting the download @ home - thank goodness for comcast cable!! lol

user and maintainer of a bunch of BB8700s

current project - nordoxandsoaps.com | View my LinkedIn profile
Old 05-03-2006, 08:32 PM   #29
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly
I've done nothing to enable this with Cingular. 7 phones all on personal accounts. We do all have the unlimited data plan but I'm not sure this has anything to do with it.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #30
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS

The Blackberry Manager (not the server) needs a MAPI profile so you can send emails from the manager. If you have Outlook installed you can just go to Control Panel, Mail and create a profile called BlackBerryManager that uses your personal account.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #31
jibi
BlackBerry God

the error shows that they have a MAPI profile configured by that name, but that it does not have the permission to open the message store. i'm guessing that this will be an Exchange permissions issue.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:50 PM   #32
RemyJ
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
the error shows that they have a MAPI profile configured by that name, but that it does not have the permission to open the message store. i'm guessing that this will be an Exchange permissions issue.
Oh, Duh. But any existing exchange user should work if the profile has a valid server and account. I did it with my personal account (which has no special privilidges) before setting up BESAdmin.

In fact I ran the entire BES with my personal account (serving only my account) and it ran fine.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #33
jibi
BlackBerry God

hmm.. true.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:49 AM   #34
SAS

the permissions look right, but I will have another go tonight and see if i can get it working.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #35
cybermikey3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

so i am on bis with cellular one, i had just downloaded the bes express 4.1 file how do i use it what do i do now?
Old 05-04-2006, 12:38 PM   #36
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

BES is not a five minute install and go. There is a lot of setup and supporting other software that is needed asides from the fact that you really need to know what you are doing or you can wind up screwing your BB royally. If you do intend to try this I would suggest going to the RIM site and see what you can dowload via manuals or instruction guides. This is in essence software for IT admins that know what they are doing.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 05-04-2006 at 01:49 PM..
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #37
richardsbd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: The 'new' AT&T (formerly known as Cingular)

@Kontiki - thank-you for posting that!

This isn't just another neat piece of techie software - it has lots of prerequisites/requirements/dependancies to install/configure/use the BlackBerry Enterprise Server!!

Although our enterprise doesn't allow me to be the/a BES admin, I have installed and configured a working BES - the pre-installation reading was a nightmare!

BES Express requires an email server (Exchange/Domino/Groupwise), a database server (yes, you can use the bundled MSDE for testing), firewall access for port 3101 access to RIM servers, etc., etc.

user and maintainer of a bunch of BB8700s

current project - nordoxandsoaps.com | View my LinkedIn profile
Old 05-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #38
cybermikey3
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

well i know what im doing the computer just wouldnt let me open the files, thanks for your brilliant input again, heh, got it up and working now thanks for your help
Old 05-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #39
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermikey3
well i know what im doing the computer just wouldnt let me open the files, thanks for your brilliant input again, heh, got it up and working now thanks for your help
Please do not misunderstand, no one was chiding you or trying to project a better than thou attitude here, just a simple caveat to prevent someone who is not knowledgeable or aware of the consequences of what repercusions could be forthcoming. If you felt otherwise I apologize it was not my intention, but I believe that no one dies in andvertized war.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 PM   #40
SAS

all the permissions are correct its a strange issue, especially as RIM dont have the error codes listed either.

I thought I would post the 2 Log files it generates incase it can help:

"[ExchangeAdaptorDLL::Initialize] Failed to open default message store, result=0x8004011d."

"The description for Event ID ( 20406 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 'SERVER' agent 1: will not restart - reached the maximum of 10 restarts per 24 hours."

Last edited by SAS; 05-04-2006 at 02:45 PM..
Closed Thread