blackout626
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9900
PIN: 28CDFBCB
Carrier: AT&T
Default HELP: Contacts info locked after Facebook 1.7 upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I searched the forums and didn't see this topic come up anywhere but I was hoping to glean some help from anybody who might have a clue about this:

I'm running OS 4.6.0.301 on my Bold. Last Saturday, I upgraded my Facebook application from version 1.6 to version 1.7 through the BlackBerry Appworld app. Throughout the day, my incoming calls were displaying as just phone numbers numbers meaning my Caller ID was not displaying the names. I went into the Contacts app and went over the options in there but I couldn't seem to find one that fixed it. I decided to try to go into the contact profiles of the numbers the phone wasn't displaying the caller ID for. The phone did not allow me to edit the contact profile nor even just to view it.

Since the Facebook upgrade was the only recent change I could think of, I tested a small number of contacts and realized that only the ones that were my Facebook friends had problems. I had no problems editing or viewing the contact profiles of the people that were NOT in my Facebook. So I went into Facebook options and unchecked the option to connect the FB app with my BB contacts, saved and even restarted the phone. I tried viewing/editing those contact profiles again. Same problem.

Finally I thought there may have been a problem with the install. So I uninstalled FB1.7 through the AppWorld app. After that, everything went back to normal. I could view/edit everything fine. I reinstalled the FB1.7 app again, this time directly from the Facebook mobile site. The problems all came back again.

Has anybody experienced this at all? Is there anything I'm missing? I don't want to be forced to choose between having my Facebook app or having a working Caller ID on my phone. I'd love to have both! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I have seen this issue in a half-dozens posts.

Try this (not guaranteed to work, but I'd like to know if it does on your device, for troubleshooting purposes):

Reload FB 1.7, and in the Options, turn off (uncheck) the connect with "BlackBerry Contacts Application" and see if your previous FB-connected contacts are editable and viewable now.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
blackout626

That was the first thing I tried. There was no change... even after a restart. Uninstalled FB 1.7 and reinstalled. Tried unchecking that option again. Still no go.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
kevintech

Model: 9000

contacts that have been linked to facebook after the 1.7 install work...

if there was a way to unlink the contacts and relink it with 1.7 installed.

someone help!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Either of you:

1. do you have Content Protection enabled on your device,
and
2. Are you on BES or personal BIS accounts?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
blackout626

My Content Protection is on but it does NOT include Contacts. I'm on BIS.

Kevin's on to something though. He's right. All new Contacts/FB connections work perfectly fine. I took it one step further and through the FB app relinked some friends to my contacts. In the few cases that I tried this is what happened:

- FB app shows "Judy" NOT connected to a BlackBerry contact (when she was before the upgrade)
- I picked the option to "connect to BB contact" and after clicking "Select Contact" it brings up my address book...
- I scroll to Judy's contact and select it pops up the following message: "This contact is already connected. Are you sure you want to connect to a different friend?"
- I click Yes, the phone connects the FB friend with (the same) BB contact and everything works perfectly for that contact now. I can now edit/view their profile.

It seems as if the connections info didn't transfer over to 1.7 so FB has no connections, whereas the phone thinks all those contacts are already connected to FB friends. That's my only idea right now.

So IF there was a way to wipe out all the FB connections info in the BB contacts, we should be able to reconnect everyone perfectly by just allowing FB 1.7 to rescan the contacts. But I can't figure out a way to "un-connect" the contacts from the FB friends.

If anybody has a link where I can get FB 1.6 again, please let me know. I'd like to try to reinstall that and see if it works again. If so, maybe if I update the app from WITHIN the application (options menu), the contacts would update correctly.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles

Issues like this are the reason I still use Facebook 1.5. Being on a BES, Facebook 1.6 killed the link to address book due to IT policy default, meaning your BES Admin has to go in and specifically allow Facebook to link to your contact list. Good luck telling any IT department with your employer to "allow" Facebook. Ours doesn't disallow it but I'm sure they'd tell me to take a flying leap if I asked them to specifically allow it.

Facebook 1.7 has presented the issues you describe here on occasion.

FB 1.5 is working great. RIM seems to break more than they fix or add in updates lately.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

blackout, could you answer these questions:

Device model:
Carrier:
Device OS:
Content Protection enabled/disabled:
Is there an IT Policy:
Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
blackout626

Sure thing:

Device model: BlackBerry Bold 9000

Device OS: 4.6.0.301

Content Protection enabled/disabled: ENABLED (but underneath where it says "Include Contacts", I had set the option to "NO")

Is there an IT Policy: Not that I know of. I'm on BIS.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Check your Options > Security > General Settings, **services**, any policy name above or below there?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #11
kevintech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Check your Options > Security > General Settings, **services**, any policy name above or below there?
Since he/she hasn't replied yet, I'll give my settings:

Services:
BBFS1 [GTALKNA1] (AES)
peer [BBM_P2P] (3DES)

does that help?

Blackberry 9000
OS 4.6.0.297
AT&T
Old 10-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintech View Post
Since he/she hasn't replied yet, I'll give my settings:

Services:
BBFS1 [GTALKNA1] (AES)
peer [BBM_P2P] (3DES)

does that help?

Blackberry 9000
OS 4.6.0.297
AT&T
Content protection enabled?

I'd love to get all this info in one post rather than piece by piece
Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
blackout626

Here's all the info put together on mine:

Device model: BlackBerry Bold 9000

Device OS: 4.6.0.301

Content Protection enabled/disabled: ENABLED (but underneath where it says "Include Contacts", I had set the option to "NO")

Is there an IT Policy: Not that I know of. I'm on BIS.

Security Services: peer[BBM_P2P](3DES)
- just that one.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
rcoley01

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange Uk

I have had the same problem - i've uninstalled fb 1.7 but i have noticed that the contacts that are facebook ones also have their pins and/or email addresses displayed as 'content protection is enabled'
I will try what kevin seems to have discovered
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #15
rcoley01

i tried what blackout did but unfortunately this didn't work for me - the contact email and/or pin still says content protection is enabled
Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
rcoley01

So all in all I'm at square one.

I updated the OS to 4.6.303 and then fb 1.7

Once i did that my contacts with email addresses - instead of showing email addresses say 'content protection is enabled'

I tried the method blackout used and no joy, i'm still stuck with not being able to see email addresses, I can view the contacts and their individual numbers but not PINS or email addresses

help!!
Old 10-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #17
blackout626

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoley01 View Post
So all in all I'm at square one.

I updated the OS to 4.6.303 and then fb 1.7

Once i did that my contacts with email addresses - instead of showing email addresses say 'content protection is enabled'

I tried the method blackout used and no joy, i'm still stuck with not being able to see email addresses, I can view the contacts and their individual numbers but not PINS or email addresses

help!!
Yea, I noticed that FB 1.7 was putting content protection on my contact email addresses and (for some reason) the job title... but only on the ones connected to FB 1.7. I had to recover the contacts from a pre-1.7 backup... because all the ones from after I installed 1.7 had the 'content protection' issue regardless of whether I have 1.7 currently installed or not.

Anyway, until there's a better work-around or an update to it all, I'm switching back to FB 1.6. I like 1.7, but it really isn't worth all this trouble.

So now my question is, does anybody know where to get FB 1.6 or have the files needed to install it? I'm on a Bold 9000. I've tried going to the mobile site of both BlackBerry and Facebook to download it, but when I click on the link for 1.6 ("If you don't have access to the Browsing Service, download Facebook for BlackBerry smartphones v1.6"), it keeps giving me this message:

"NOTICE
Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Facebook. "

Any help?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
stupidity79

Model: Curve

Hello,
I have a BB Curve, use Verizon, connect to a BES, and am somewhat IT illiterate. I have the same problem as Blackout626. Installed FB 1.7, had these problems (no caller ID, no ability to email FB "friends" in my address book, no ability to edit FB "friend" contacts in my address book, all saved text messages turned from names to numbers, etc.). I uninstalled the FB app and reset the BB. I do not have FB installed now, but I still have the caller ID problem - phone numbers appear but do not correlate to names in my address book (if those names were at any point associated with FB). Content protection is locked to "enabled", but the address book is not included.

I just spoke to my IT folks, who said that by installing the new FB 1.7, you give FB control over your address book. Even if you uninstall and/or reinstall later (and also disable the connection to your address book in the FB setup wizard), once you gave FB "control", you're stuck. The application does not relinquish "control" when you uninstall.

Work-around: Edit each of your FB contacts in your address book (put a space in the notes section, or something equally silly). You have thereby taken "control" back from FB (assuming you no longer have it installed on your BB). I don't want to take the time to do this one by one (170+ contacts), but it has worked for me on the few entries I've tried. I've not reinstalled FB because I don't know how to work around the bugs when I have the app installed.

Thanks for the forum!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
blackout626

Wirelessly posted

Stupidity79, i think its true that fb1.7 does some permanent changes to the contacts as i've noticed the same. what i ended up doing was restoring my contacts from a backup file made PRIOR to installing fb1.7. luckily the backup file was recent enough that there were only a couple new contacts added since then. anyway, all the contact info was accessible after that. my phone has since been fb-less since i can't get it to install 1.6 anymore :(
Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #20
stupidity79

Model: Curve

Hi Blackout626,
Did these problems go away if you wipe your BB and start completely over from square one ("new" BB stage)? I was going to do that... but if that doesn't solve the problem, then I'm done, stuck, and back to using FB through Google. :( Thanks!

Last edited by stupidity79; 11-06-2009 at 02:42 PM..
Closed Thread