BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:51 PM   #41
mrc7928
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

All of the following steps must be run on the BES.
Anywhere there is an _ you must type in the drive letter of the BES.

Copy the software you want into _:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\applications\PROGRAM FOLDER
where PROGRAM FOLDER is the name of the program you wish to install and contains the .cod, .alx, .jar, etc and that folder should have read and execute, list folder contents and read selected as permissions.
Pull up a command prompt and browse to _:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
Type: loader /index
Once these steps have been followed, open up the Handheld Configuration Tool and navigate to the configuration tab. Click add new configuration and now you should be able to add the configuration for the program.

Let me know if you have any questions about the above.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #42
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

You have to run the loader.exe /index command from the BES server (at least this is what I did, and it worked). Run it from the common files\research in motion\apploader folder.

I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Application push to me was somewhat esoteric, and I have to say, this simplified things to no end.

Many many thanks -

Rob
Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #43
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I am glad you figured it out. On my BES server I've added the exe to the environment path so I can type the command from anywhere. You might want to try this too if you feel confident enough.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #44
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Just a follow up to my app pushing experiences...I've been able to push Berry411 and MidpSSH no problem, for the life of me I cannot get Mobile Google Maps 1.3.0 to push out to my devices. I downloaded this .cod directly from Google: http://google.com/gmm/apps/v1.3.0/L1...00_v4_0_L1.cod - and I can't get it to go.

They have another one for the 7290 here: http://google.com/gmm/apps/v1.3.0/L1...90_v4_0_L1.cod

No love on the 7290's either. Anyone else try this? I did have some success with 1.19, but the icon never appeared (although it showed up in the applications listing on the device).

I did as everyone suggested, making it a required application via the disposition setting, etc - the loader /index process worked fine, it appears in my app configuration - I did have to generate my own .alx file:
Code:
<loader version="1.0">
	<application id="GoogleGMap">
		<name >
			Google Mobile Maps for BlackBerry 8700
		</name>
		<description >
			Search Google maps from your BlackBerry
		</description>
		<version >
		</version>
		<vendor >
			Google
		</vendor>
		<copyright >
			Copyright (c) 2006 Google
		</copyright>
		<fileset Java="1.18">
			<directory >

</directory>
			<files >
				gmaps8700_v4_0_L1.cod

</files>

</fileset>

</application>

</loader>
I checked my policy log file (set to debug level 5) - and I'm finding entries like this:

[30000] (07/27 22:04:15):{0x1090} Either the vendor ID 0x64 or hardware ID 0x84000b03 is not supported.

Now, I do know that I have installed this application on an 8700 without any throubles, although it was from the .jad file directly through OTA install via Google's website. So I can't say for sure (yet) that this .cod works. I'm going to try it via Desktop Manager next and see what I come up with.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

Rob
Old 08-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #45
kpoland
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Default Anyone try to push METAmessage?

I've gotten it set up, and it pushes fine, but the app comes across corrupt. When you try to launch it from the BB, you get all kinda of java uncaught exception errors...
"Sink or Swim" Educated
Old 08-03-2006, 08:29 AM   #46
Khue
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Let me try on my system setup. Maybe i can see something we are missing.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #47
onelikeseabass
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Ok fellas, here ya go. Using what you all have accomplished so far, I've figured out how to get GMaps pushed from the BES or installed via Desktop Manager.

QC_Metal noticed that the Blackberry gives an error stating it can't find a certain module. Well, that's because the download link given earlier in this post (.../apps/v1.3.0/L1/gmaps8700_v4_0_L1.cod) is only *half* of what you need. Simply tack on a -1 to that file name before the extension (.../apps/v1.3.0/L1/gmaps8700_v4_0_L1-1.cod) and then edit a .alx file to include both .cod files! I found this out by examining the error given on the Blackberry when trying to load GMaps according to QC_Metal's notes. The BlackBerry error states that it can't find a module named gmaps8700_v4_0_L1-1. duh ;)

I've successfully downloaded all the necessary .cod's, installed via Desktop Manager *and* pushed through the BES.

To download for any other model, just modify the model number in the URL. It's that simple.

Here are the contents of an .alx file you will need to edit per your specific model. To use this example, simply copy all the code and paste it into a blank Notepad document. Edit appropriately, make sure WordWrap is turned *off*, and then save as anything.alx (anything is to be replaced with whatever you want to call it). Place the .alx file, along with the .cod files, in the _:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications folder. (_ = the appropriate drive letter) Delete the two files named PkgDBCache.xml and specification.pkg in that same folder. Finally, using the command line (Start, Run, cmd), go to _:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and type loader /index. This will rebuild the index used by the BES when searching for applications.

Note that the <name> section of the .alx file refers to what will be shown on your BlackBerry under the Applications list. So if you make it really long, it will get cut off.

Code:
<loader version="1.0">
	<application id="GoogleGMap 7290">
		<name >
			GMaps for BB 7290
		</name>
		<description >
		</description>
		<version >
		</version>
		<vendor >
			Google
		</vendor>
		<copyright >
		</copyright>
		<fileset Java="1.18">
			<directory >

</directory>
			<files >
				gmaps7290_v4_0_L1.cod
				gmaps7290_v4_0_L1-1.cod
			</files>

</fileset>

</application>

</loader>
It probably wouldn't hurt to *test* this new .alx file by trying to install GMaps using the Desktop Manager. This will help with troubleshooting the BES App push later if need be. i.e. you'll know the .alx and .cod files are fine if they install successfully over the Desktop Manager Application Loader

Cheers and thanks to QC_Metal for the work done beforehand!
Another note here... JAD files simply point your device to the JAR. The simplest way to look at it is this; JAD is to ALX as JAR is to COD. JAD is used for OTA, and ALX is for Desktop Manager or BES push .

Last edited by onelikeseabass; 08-10-2006 at 12:49 PM..
Old 08-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #48
onelikeseabass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc7928
All of the following steps must be run on the BES.
Anywhere there is an _ you must type in the drive letter of the BES.

Copy the software you want into _:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\applications\PROGRAM FOLDER
where PROGRAM FOLDER is the name of the program you wish to install and contains the .cod, .alx, .jar, etc and that folder should have read and execute, list folder contents and read selected as permissions.
Pull up a command prompt and browse to _:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
Type: loader /index
Once these steps have been followed, open up the Handheld Configuration Tool and navigate to the configuration tab. Click add new configuration and now you should be able to add the configuration for the program.

Let me know if you have any questions about the above.
You are partially incorrect. You do not have to store the Applications folder on the BES. It can be stored on any machine as long as the folder is shared and accessible by the BES when you setup Software Configuration aka Handheld Configuration. The share needs to have read only permissions and the folder itself should have the Authenticated Users group added with list/execute permissions as well.

When running loader /index, do so from the apploader folder, but do so from the machine that holds the applications. Also note that the system holding the applications for download will need to have the Blackberry Desktop Software Installed at a minimum.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:29 AM   #49
Fromme

Model: 8707
Carrier: TDC

Hi All

Why am I getting the Application Status = Install Required

I have waited 30 hours.

Fromme
Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #50
Fromme

Hi Again

Found this in the Policy log.
[20000] (08/10 14:09:23):{0x1330} {xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.com, PIN=xxxxxxxx, UserId=107}RequestHandler::HandleAPPDDataCommand - Send Application to device failed for entryid 583, "FF Device Reported a general failure installing the module".
I tried to install GMaps on my 8700v.
My ALX file comes here.
<loader version="1.0">
<application id="GoogleGMap 8700">
<name >
GMaps
</name>
<description >
</description>
<version >
</version>
<vendor >
Google
</vendor>
<copyright >
</copyright>
<fileset Java="1.18">
<directory >

</directory>
<files >
gmaps8700_v4_0_L1.cod
gmaps8700_v4_0_L1-1.cod
</files>

</fileset>

</application>

</loader>

Fromme
Old 08-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #51
onelikeseabass

Fromme... try installing GMaps by using the Desktop Manager Application Loader. This will tell you right away if you have any corrupt files. If GMaps installs and works, then I'm leaning towards you not reindexing your Applications folder. See my post above for more info.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #52
technickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

This is trippin me out because I don't see "shared" under RIM folder
<whatever letter:\>program files\common files\research in motion\shared\application\Test.

All is see is:
Apploader
Rimdevicemanager
USB Drivers
Old 08-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #53
technickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

I seem to be having a problem browsing out to the folder. I installed the alx,cod,xml and pkg locally, (does that matter)? I add new conf then browse out to the Shared folder but the OK button is grayed out. I have shared every stinkind folder..whats the deal?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 PM   #54
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by technickel
I seem to be having a problem browsing out to the folder. I installed the alx,cod,xml and pkg locally, (does that matter)? I add new conf then browse out to the Shared folder but the OK button is grayed out. I have shared every stinkind folder..whats the deal?

Don't browse to it, type in \\machinename\Research In Motion\
Old 08-16-2006, 02:31 PM   #55
technickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

awesome, it worked, now I wait 4 hours
Old 08-21-2006, 08:49 AM   #56
Fromme

It looks like the Security Policy to disallow download off 3'rd party application is disallowing application push to, this seems to be a fault.
Any comments on this one...?

Fromme
Old 08-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #57
nicatnite303

Carrier: verizon
Default Any .alx .cod file to push?

Hello,
I followed Khue's instructions to the letter and while it looks like everything is set up correctly, everytime I set a handheld to use the software config that has my app in it, nothing gets pushed to the handheld. RIM support is telling me that the files I am trying to send may not be compatible but I verified that the .alx and .cod files are for my model handheld. Whenever I add the sofware config to the handheld and click the link to check config status, an error is generated in the app log: Event ID 20000 - [CHandheldView::OnUpdateConfigCheck] Unable to load configuration data - error 10; skipping 1 handhelds using this configuration

...and nothing ever gets to the handheld. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening? RIM's tech support seems to be blaming the app.

Last edited by nicatnite303; 08-21-2006 at 02:13 PM..
Old 08-21-2006, 05:09 PM   #58
jinksPadlock

Model: 7290

Fromme,

The Disallow 3rd party apps takes precedence over the Software Configuration. But if you set Disallow 3rd party apps to false, then go to Software Config and create a "Disallow" Application Policy. And next, Assign it to the top level dropdown beside Applications in the Software Config. This is in essence the same as setting Disallow 3rd party downloads to true.

You can then whitelist approved applications by setting a "Required" or "Optional" application policy beside the application in Software Config.

nicatnite303,

Sorry I've never seen that error message, Have you tried loading the Apps the oldskool way using Desktop Manager? This would at least let you know that they run on the device.

Also I've had issues where my apps would not push through OTA if I had already failed at one attempt. Try the link below...
Livelink
Old 08-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #59
nicatnite303

Carrier: verizon

Thanks jinx...
I wish I had more to go on in the Event Logs. The only error is that Event ID 20000 error and it's so non-descript. These apps are push-able from the desktop application and I verified that they are compatible with the model handhelds I am trying to push them too.

One thing to note to everyone...
This passed weekend, we upgraded to BES 4.0 SP5a (Exchange) per Blackberry Tech support's recommendation. During the upgrade, it failed midstream (password error) and my only option was to abort/cancel because retry/skip was apparently not an option. While the installer stated that nothing had been changed as it backed out, I quickly found that it had uninstalled the original install. Basically, I had to reinstall BES again from the original media and then try the upgrade again. I had made a good backup of the db's so the reinstall/setup was pretty quick... but it's very lame for an upgrade like that to not allow you to re-enter a password if it was fat-fingered, and when backing out it didn't restore original files. BB Tech support said this was a "known issue" with the service pack. Just a heads up.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 AM   #60
Sp!ke

Model: 8800
PIN: uh uh
Carrier: many

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinksPadlock

The Disallow 3rd party apps takes precedence over the Software Configuration. But if you set Disallow 3rd party apps to false, then go to Software Config and create a "Disallow" Application Policy. And next, Assign it to the top level dropdown beside Applications in the Software Config. This is in essence the same as setting Disallow 3rd party downloads to true.

You can then whitelist approved applications by setting a "Required" or "Optional" application policy beside the application in Software Config.
I seem to have stumbled into this problem and am very interested in the above.

I dont understand what you mean by "Assign it to the top level dropdown beside Applications in the Software Config." Can you provide a step by step process of doing this?
Closed Thread