Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
chriswight
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: N/A
PIN: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Conflicts and Outlook Cached Mode

Please Login to Remove!

Hi folks. We're seeing a problem with Conflicts for users who have Outlook configured for cached mode. It seems that for every message sent via the BB device, a Conflict is created in the Synch folder of the Exchange mailbox.

Apparently this has been going on for months, but users are just now starting to complain because their mailboxes are filling up with these conflicts. We currently have maybe 3,000 BB users with Outlook in cached mode. The problem seems to exist for all of them. I know for sure the problem does not happen for those not in cached mode.

We have (5) BES v4.1.4 in various parts of the world, with Exchange 2003 mailbox servers.

I found one thread on this site regarding the same issue, but the only response was "don't use cached mode". Unfortunately this really isn't an option for us, as our corporate policy encourages the use of cached mode.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...-handheld.html

Any other ideas? I haven't tried RIM yet, but I have a feeling that this will be another issue they blame on MS. (And then MS will blame it on RIM).

Many thanks in advance!

On another note (and I don't mean to rant here), but could the image verification on the Search page be any more difficult? It's especially tough for me, as I'm red-green colour-blind, and often the digits blend together so I can't see them. I'm lucky if I get 1 out of 5 successful guesses.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
chriswight
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A
Default Cached Mode Not Supported

Outlook 2003 Cached Mode "is technically not supported", says RIM support. The conflicts we're seeing in the Sync folder are "by design", and there is no remedy for this issue.

The BES doesn't like the cached mode configuration for much the same reason that the delivery-to-PST configuration is not supported. The BES relies on real-time communication with Exchange to work properly all the time.

KB02924 (archive): "Outlook 2003 includes a new feature called Cached Exchange Mode ... BlackBerry Desktop Software ... does not fully support the new Cached Exchange Mode feature". The article applies to BES 3.6, but today RIM confirmed that this configuration is still not fully supported.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
dding0919
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: nextel

I have been working on the same problem for a while even called MS. I'm sure it's BB but it happens randomly to the users. I'm wondering if Outlook 2007 could resolve the issue. Any inside details why BB could generate such conflicts.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Thats weird, we all use cached mode with no issues that I am aware of.

we use office 2003
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
dhahn

Model: 7250
Carrier: Nextel

I'm seeing issues with blackberrys in Exchange 2003/Outlook 2007 cached mode testing. Messages go to the Sync Issues/Conflicts folder (not shown by default) on the C: as well as the Inbox. Deletes on the PC take 30 minutes to sync, but deletes on the BB sync to the Desktop within a minute. Hmmm. Not seeing the Sync Issues email on all clients with blackberrys. Have recreated the Outlook profile and the .ost file with only temporary reprieve of extra emails. Problem returned in < a day.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
cavy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

We run outlook 2003 in cached mode without any known issues. Ours work just like they should most of the time.
Closed Thread