Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default ActiveX Application Loader...

Please Login to Remove!

Any of you other administrators interested in the ActiveX Application Loader that is located on RIM's download page for BlackBerry Messenger?

http://www.blackberry.com/messenger

I have managed to grab the files and change the code to allow transplanting it to my own web server. This could come in handy for those who would like to have an application loader application accessible via an intranet (or internet) site. With very little coding knowledge, it can be customized for your own company's graphics and whatnot.

Anyhow, I have the files if anyone is interested. I was curious a few weeks back when RIM launched the public download of the messenger application (moreso than in the messenger application) via this web-based ActiveX Application Loader. I've just now gotten bored enough to put it all together.

If I'm not mistaken, it can be pieced together very easily to allow for customization of applications. I will test this out when I get back to the house from lunch. You will, of course, need the COD files for the applications you will be trying to load. And for shits and giggles, I'll try and load the entire OS via this method (its worth a shot, right?)...

From a client point of view, this will only work on Windows using Internet Explorer. I don't believe Mac users can load ActiveX DLL files (I could be wrong, though).

Last edited by jibi; 07-30-2005 at 10:57 AM..
Old 07-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Here are the modification steps for a second or third or fourth or whatever application.

- Files for ActiveX Application Loader must be installed in the root directory of your web server. The root structure for this application will be located in /apploader. If you decide to install in another directory than / then you will need to modify the contained files on your own to point the appropriate directory structure.

- entry.do will need to be modified at the following line:
Code:
<a href="/apploader/app_name/download.do">
- download.do will need to be modified at the following lines:
Code:
<h1>App Name</h1>
Code:
window.location.href = '/apploader/app_name/entry.do'
Code:
show('look', 'axNoBlackBerry.gif', "Connect your BlackBerry to the USB port on this computer now to load Application_Name.");
Code:
show('message', 'axComplete.gif', "Application Name has been loaded.");
Code:
show('load',  'axReady.gif', "Click below to load Application Name to the connected BlackBerry.<br/><strong>Note:</strong> Your device may reset after loading.");
Code:
frames['CODFrame'].location.href = 'http://server.fqdn.com/apploader/app_name/' + 'download/desktop?os=' + AxLoader.version + '&hwid=' + AxLoader.hwid + '&pin=' + AxLoader.pin;
- In entry.do, there is also a section for putting an application description. This can be changed here:
Code:
<h1>App Name</h1>
Code:
<p class="noTop">Description of product</p>
Code:
<ul>
	<li><a href="http://www.linktowebsite.com/productinfo/index.html">
		Home Page</a></li>
</ul>
Just to note, the above few steps can be completely removed, but they are nice to have, in my opinion. I just grabbed the description from the product's website or from Handango's little write-up on the product. The Home Page link was originally the link to the BlackBerry Messenger User Guide, but for my purposes, I simply changed it to the product's webpage.

- In download/desktop (can be opened with Notepad or any text editor), you will need to change the paths of the COD files (which are stored in /files for each application you install).

Code:
<div id="cod">http://server.fqdn.com/apploader/app_name/files/install_file_1.cod,http://server.fqdn.com/apploader/app_name/files/install_file_2.cod,http://server.fqdn.com/apploader/app_name/files/install_file_3.cod</div>
You will need to include all COD files in this section.

- index.html - edit this as needed for any new applications you configure to be downloaded.

Code:
<h1>Applications</h1>
<h2>Application Name</h2>
<ul>
	<li><a href="/apploader/app_name/entry.do">
		Information and Download</a></li>
</ul>
That should be pretty much all the needed changes to get it working. The directory structure is as follows:

/apploader
- AxLoader.cab (contains AxLoader.dll and AxLoader.inf)
- index.html (available application downloads)
- readme.txt (basically this post)
/apploader/css
- axload.css (stylesheet; altered from bb.css used on RIM's website)
/apploader/images
- contains the various images that are specific to the ActiveX Application Loader
/apploader/images/layout
- contains the images that are specific to the layout
/apploader/app_name
This folder will be created for each application. When adding a new application, I'd just copy this folder and change the name then edit the above information for the new application.
- blank.html (no content)
- download.do (the actual download page)
- entry.do (introduction and information page)
/apploader/app_name/download
- desktop (contains the listing of files to download)
/apploader/app_name/files
This is where you will put your COD files for distribution to the client handheld.
/apploader/generic
Contains a generic file structure for you to use when creating other application folders.

Last edited by jibi; 07-30-2005 at 07:06 PM..
Old 07-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Attached are screenshots for a download page using VeriChat as an example download. I did not attempt the entire OS download, as that gets to be a few too many files for me to headache through on typing. Also, just to add, I have tested this as much as I can possibly test from this machine, so if there are issues (for any of you who may install this), let me know on this thread and I will see about addressing them.

If you want the files, PM me or post here and I will email them to you. For obvious reasons, I do not want to host these files. I'm not exactly sure on RIM's policy on reusing their technology (that is not made available to the public in a direct fashion, despite the tools being there in the open), so I'll just leave it at that. I did dabble into their license agreements (this doesn't have one, obviously, so it defaults back to their general BlackBerry Solution license agreement) and terms of service, and I saw nothing that would necessarily ban the distribution of this (so long as there was no money involved, which there isn't), so anyhow...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axloader-1.jpg (89.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg axloader-2.jpg (77.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by jibi; 07-30-2005 at 07:11 PM..
Old 08-01-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
djbeenie
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20F7C0E8
Carrier: TMO

Looks good Jibi! Great work. I'm going to try and play with this later.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
camerch
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100t

Jibi you are the MAN!
Old 08-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

One caveat I have found, so far, is that it only lists these installations in the Modules listing and not the Applications listing, so deleting the application is a pain in the butt. I'm going to dig around the actual ActiveX control tomorrow or Wednesday and see if there are any parameters I can use in the desktop file to get it to load an application name rather than individual modules only.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Jibi, how did the date go? Was she a good cook? Were you a better date?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:55 AM   #8
tkwedwin77

Model: 7100g

how do i download the axloader.cab, i seem to hve problem downloading the yahoo messenger, but the webpage did not appear a yellow bar for me to download active x controls. i'm using xp sp2.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

download Yahoo over-the-air.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:54 AM   #10
tkwedwin77

is it the yahoo internet browser toolbar? where to dl that? sorry.. new to blackberry.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:56 AM   #11
tkwedwin77

can u have both yahoo messenger and blackberry messenger in one handheld at the same time?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
jibi
BlackBerry God

yes to your last question. go to www.blackberry.com/YahooDownload from your handheld.