Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
tom_ireland

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2
Default Bloomberg Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

Thanks to whoever replied to my previous message about Bloomberg, I've finally managed to wirelessly install the application onto the devices required.

Now I seem to have a different problem, and Bloomberg themselves aren't giving me much joy.

Whenever the user that I'm testing with tries to log in to Bloomberg on his handheld it times out. I've checked the Transport settings in conjunction with those specified on the BES (4.0), but it doesn't seem to be working.
I've tried adding the server as a hostname BloombergMDS as well as just the IP of the BES server which is running the MDSGateway service. Still no joy.

I've also checked the Policies to see if I can get any joy there. I allowed Internal Network Connections, but I'm not sure if any of the other policies would have any effect on the connection. I have to say that I've read through the guides, but I can't seem to find anything that really helps me.

I'm relatively new to BES, and I'm not 100% on how the connection between the device and the MDS gateway should work. We don't use Desktop Manager at all and the devices are running BB 4.0. Bloomberg have confirmed that we have a live feed coming through to the gateway.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom
Old 07-19-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
jinksPadlock
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile

Bloomberg needs both allow internal and allow external connections set to True in IT Policies.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
tom_ireland

Cheers Jinks, but I thought that 'True' was the default option. I've actually set it again and will test as soon as I can.

Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
jinksPadlock

Thats true, hmm. Here is a Bloomberg walkthrough...
Not sure how far you got, hope this helps...
Just insert your ip and port#.

Click the Bloomberg icon . Click the trackwheel once. Click settings.

Change Server:Port from localhost:<port#> to <ip>:<port#>
Click the trackwheel and click save.

You will be prompted with a window that says “Restart Transport” - click YES. Type in your Bloomberg login name and password. Click the trackwheel once and click Go.

The first time you log in a blue screen will appear that says, “The application Bloomberg has requested a socket connection to <ip>:<port>./ Allow this connection / Deny this connection / Don’t ask this again for / socket connections / socket connections to <ip>:<port>.

Click “Allow this connection” and check both “socket connections” and “socket connections to <ip>:<port>.

Note: The security popup prompt may appear several times during the login process or when starting a Bloomberg application for the first time. Please be advised that the security prompt process is enforced only once, after each new install or update of the software, once you select and check both "socket connections" and "socket connections to <ip>:<port>" using the space bar and selecting "Allow this connection".

After this you should be logged in, test it out.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
markvan

Model: 8310g
Carrier: Unknown

Our setup is our BES is behind a firewall and the BlackBerry Router in the DMZ.

The router in the DMZ has the Bloomberg service running on it and the IP address in the setup instructions below is the internal IP address of this router.

The only other concern is that you have the correct ports open for comms.

Not sure if this is how you are setup, but it might help.

=========================================
How To Add Bloomberg to a BlackBerry Device

1) In the BlackBerry Manager under Handheld Management > Handhelds, select the user.
2) Click the Assign Software Configuration link, select Bloomberg and click the OK button. (Software updates to devices are done every 4 hours. So it could take up to 4 hours for the software to be delivered to the device.)
3) When the user has received the application on their device they can start it up by going to Applications > Bloomberg.
4) Press the scroll wheel and on the menu that pops up select Settings.
5) Change the Server Port field from xxx8220;localhost:4444xxx8221; to xxx8220;192.168.53.140:4444xxx8221;, press the back button and save the changes.
6) Restart the Transport by selecting Yes.
7) Enter your Bloomberg Anywhere username and password to log in.

Cheers
Mark
Old 07-20-2006, 04:58 AM   #6
tom_ireland

Thanks for that guys, but I've already tried it all. I've changed the transport settings to reflect 'bloombergmds:4444, mds:4444 and 172.16.1.14:4444' none of which have worked. The bloombergmds settings are in the host file on the BES server.
I've restarted the transport several times now, but everytime I try to log in it times out.

Are there any other policies which need to be allowed to get this working? the Blackberrys that we are using are not used as phones and also do not have web access.

Thanks guys

Tom
Old 07-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
jinksPadlock

By default they should be good to go. But when you say the BB's have no web access, what do you mean? There are several policy settings that could be affecting communication, if moved from their default. Or if you have ACL's in place on your network they could be blocking traffic as well.

I would put one device on its own test policy and test which policy settings you have set that disable access.

I am not sure about how the Bloomberg application is designed but it may expect a WAP Gateway instead of MDS Browsing?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
tom_ireland

I may just remove all the restrictions and play about with it. Thanks again for your help dude.

Tom
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Can you establish a connection to Bloomberg from the MDS server? Also, has Bloomberg stated that they see you connecting?
Old 07-24-2006, 04:37 AM   #10
tom_ireland

I can telnet to the transaction server but it just comes up with some random Javascript characters, however they have said that they can see me connecting. We're using a PAT address at the moment that has been permissioned on their firewall. I'm actually going to get a NAT setup for the BES server and try that, just to rule it out!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
the Blackberrys that we are using are not used as phones and also do not have web access
elaborate on this. do you have MDS services disabled for the users entirely? they should have some sort of web abilities for ANY sort of MDS-related product to expect to work.

i agree with your previous statement - remove all restrictions, use a default policy for a single handheld, etc. and work your way backwards towards a resolution.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
bscanlon

Model: 8100
Default You need MDS

The Bloomberg application is most definately MDS based. If you can't establish MDS communications with your BES the application will now function correctly. A good way to test this is to try using your Blackberry Browser. Unlike the Ineternet browser this will route communications through your MDS. The application does also require that you have allow inbound and outbound connections set to "true"

A good way to check where in the communications chain your having a problem is to try and login, then look for the PIN # of the Blackberry in your MDS logs. If you have error logging on the Bloomberg MDS Gateway set to high you should see a corresponding entry right afterwords in the MDS gateway logs. If there is no entery in your MDS logs at all, then the application is not able to talk to the MDS service because of a configuration problem, be it on the device or in the IT/Application policies.

When in doubt give the Bloomberg IT staff a call. You'll have to be transferred a few times till you get to someone on the Blackberry staff, but trust me those guys rock!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:45 AM   #13
Jarry05

Model: 7001T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Don't Know

Hi, I have to push the Bloomberry sorftware out to the Hand held devices from the BES server. Have you any suggestions or know issues in doing this. I am completely new to Blackberry, I have been reading complex documentation, I was wondering does anybody have the steps required in simple terms....Many Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
hayabusa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

443 ssl must be open bi-direction from your Bloomberg router in the DMZ and you also need to add a line to your host file on your bes. Bloomberg tech support can walk you through all of this
Old 08-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
amelnik

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

it should be just bloombergmds or bloombergmds:8080, not bloombergmds:4444. 4444 is just for admin console.
Closed Thread