BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #1
azriella1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Syncing Outlook Calendar

Please Login to Remove!

i have done many searches and could not find a solution. I have a 7290 with 4.0 os. How can i sync my outlook calendar wirelessly? Is it possible? I have heard mention of BES 4.0 but I am not sure what that is. Is this requred in order to sync wirelessly? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i honestly tried to find the answer myself and just became fustrated.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

BES is the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. It is normally run by corporations to support their BlackBerry users. There are also third party BES providers, like Mailstreet, that sell BES services to general (non corporate) customers.

Outlook calendar has been wireless sync since earlier versions of the BES. With BES 4.0, you can now also sync contacts, notes and tasks.

An important caveat, your e-mail system must be Exchange, Notes or (with BES 4.0) Groupwise.

So, if you want to have wireless calendar sync, you must have a BES account.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint BES

From my understanding, the 4.0 software for the actual handhelds is not out yet. 4.0 BES is out, but I was told the 4.0 update for the handhelds themselves has not yet been released for the BB7290 models...am I wrong?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:19 AM   #4
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry

Outlook calendar has been wireless sync since earlier versions of the BES. With BES 4.0, you can now also sync contacts, notes and tasks.
We are on BES 3.6 and our handhelds are v 3.8.0.139 (platform 1.8.0.99) and kernel is 3.8.0.20...

Our "wireless calendar sync" has never worked both ways. It only works 1 way. It will add anything you add to outlook 2003 to the blackberry calendar, but will not add new items from the blackberry to outlook 2003. This is true for all 33 of the devices I support. Do you have any input on why this "sync" is only working in 1 direction?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:51 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I think your BES Admins should look at their logs and see why this feature (which has been around for several years) does not work on BES 3.6.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #6
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100

Sounds like the "bes account" has read privaledges to calendars but not write/modify. Have your exchange guys check the security on the stores/mailboxes. To test this you could temporarily make the bes account a member of the enterprise and exchange admin groups.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:11 AM   #7
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonews
Sounds like the "bes account" has read privaledges to calendars but not write/modify. Have your exchange guys check the security on the stores/mailboxes. To test this you could temporarily make the bes account a member of the enterprise and exchange admin groups.
it is a member of both. Is there a specific attribute I should look for? It has the ability to Read/Write Personal information, and public information. Am I missing something?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:16 PM   #8
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100

Well be carefull of Deny's. Deny's override allows. The account has to have full send as and receive as on all mailboxes. Look in the advanced security to be sure the account is not a member of any group that has a deny send as and receive as.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

why would you want to make the BES account a member of the EXCH ADM groups? just curious... considering RIM does a pretty damn good job spelling out which Exchange permissions the service account needs, it does not really require all that much.

Read-Only Administrator permissions
Receive As/Send As permissions
Administer Information Store permissions

I think thats all of them.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
why would you want to make the BES account a member of the EXCH ADM groups? just curious... considering RIM does a pretty damn good job spelling out which Exchange permissions the service account needs, it does not really require all that much.

Read-Only Administrator permissions
Receive As/Send As permissions
Administer Information Store permissions

I think thats all of them.
you are correct. I'm on the phone with T-support now and they said that same thing. However, I can't change those permissions because the local service account it was setup with was the domain level administrator account. I need to give those permissions to the blackberry account we created and then switch the service account over to that account.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #11
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

It is now working correctly. I took great pleasure in sending out the email to the users list about it working correctly now. They are thrilled!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:34 AM   #12
rpfeffer
CrackBerry Addict

If a user has a rather large amount of entries, does it take a while to bring them all down from the outlook client to the blackberry when initiating the wireless sync? I have a user with close to 900 entries, and some of them are in the blackberry after wireless sync is enabled, but not all of them. Is there a certain capacity of amount of calendar items that may be synced wirelessly?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #13
jasonalden

Model: vary
Default Wireless Calendar Sync Only Works In One Direction

We have a BB user who keys in calendar entries to her BB calendar, but the entries never synchronize back to her Outlook.

Our arrangement is as follows:
In-house BES server v3.6.3.17.
In-house Exchange 2000 SP3 server.
This BB is a model 7520.

FWIW, this particular user has only cradled the BB 1 time: during the initial setup. This user relies solely on wireless functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfeffer
I need to give those permissions to the Blackberry account we created and then switch the service account over to that account.
Rpfeffer, or anyone else, can you please further elaborate on this? We log onto the BB server as domain account "bes" (for example). The service "Blackberry Service - BES1" logs on with that same domain account "bes". What permissions have to be changed and where do I change them?

Thanking you all in advance,
Jason Alden
Old 08-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #14
jasonalden

Default Exchange 2000 Crashed

Further to all of this, our Exchange 2000 server crashed, and we rebuilt it on a different server, all around the time frame this user is reporting that this trouble began.

Thanks all...
Old 08-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
jasonalden

I attempted to find these permissions. I ended up on our Exchange 2000 server and I modified the permissions for the Mailbox Store for account BES to ALLOW for
"Receive As"
"Send As"
"Administer Information Store"

But I did not find "Read-Only Administrator" permissions as mentioned above.
???
Old 08-25-2005, 09:53 AM   #16
jasonalden

Update: My user reports that this is working; she can key a calendar entry to her BB and it now wirelessly replicates back to her Outlook.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
wayne12

Model: 8703e

bb error Hello I have almost the same problem, I get an "unable to process" error when I try to sync outlook 2003 calender with blackberry pearl. The log file says internal error #4088. I have 2,200 appointments mostly birthdays showing up. Please help. Is there a limit on the number of calendar appointments"? Any other advice? I have downloaded desktop manager 4.2 patch 1 also. Not using exchange.

Thanks

Wayne
Closed Thread