Old 11-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Question Not receiving text messages from web sites

Please Login to Remove!

A number of business web sites want some sort of confirmation by sending a text message to your cellphone. I give my cellphone number to such websites and then click their button to send a text message to my cellphone. Yet I never get such messages. The latest was my PayPal account, where it wanted to confirm my cellphone number by sending me a confirmation code in a text message to my cellphone. I went through the routine to get the confirmation code as a text message, and yet I never received the text message. However I have received text messages from other people who have my cellphone number, and have replied back by texting. But for some reason, so-called text messages sent by websites to my registered cellphone number I never receive.

Is there some difference between text messages sent from websites and text messages from ordinary users ? Is there some setting on my Torch 9810 that I must set in order to receive text messages sent from websites ?

Last edited by eldiener; 11-27-2018 at 10:46 PM..
Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Not receiving text messages from web sites

Check Settings, Security, Parental Controls for a "text from contacts only" setting on OS10 phones

for a 9810

From the Home screen, tap Settings Settings icon.
Note If not available, swipe down from the top of the display (where the time is located).
2.Tap Security and Privacy Location Settings icon.
3.Tap Parental Controls Parental controls icon.
Note If presented, enter the Parental Controls password then tap OK.
4.Enter the Parental Controls password then tap OK.
5.From the Phone and Text Message Restrictions section, select (check) any of the following:
Note Enabled when a check mark is present.
Phone calls from contacts only
Text messages from contacts only

Last edited by tsac; 11-28-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Old 11-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Check Settings, Security, Parental Controls for a "text from contacts only" setting on OS10 phones

for a 9810

From the Home screen, tap Settings Settings icon.
Note If not available, swipe down from the top of the display (where the time is located).
2.Tap Security and Privacy Location Settings icon.
3.Tap Parental Controls Parental controls icon.
Note If presented, enter the Parental Controls password then tap OK.
4.Enter the Parental Controls password then tap OK.
5.From the Phone and Text Message Restrictions section, select (check) any of the following:
Note Enabled when a check mark is present.
Phone calls from contacts only
Text messages from contacts only
Thanks, but Parental Controls are completely unchecked.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

I would play around with the options. maybe the software is glitched and doing a change on and off a will correct it.
I played with my 9810 and it does seem to block all non contact text messages. I also tried turning it on then adding one of my verification accounts where it also send a code number and it allowed it to pass as a contact.
The numbers for the contact account seems to be the same each time they send verification codes. the code changes.
Example Paypal uses contact account 23456 and within the text message is the verification code 98765.

Getting the account number will be the hard part if the phone blocks it. You might try adding a second cell phone or changing to another one to see if it does work and then try the account code they use.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I would play around with the options. maybe the software is glitched and doing a change on and off a will correct it.
I played with my 9810 and it does seem to block all non contact text messages. I also tried turning it on then adding one of my verification accounts where it also send a code number and it allowed it to pass as a contact.
The numbers for the contact account seems to be the same each time they send verification codes. the code changes.
Example Paypal uses contact account 23456 and within the text message is the verification code 98765.

Getting the account number will be the hard part if the phone blocks it. You might try adding a second cell phone or changing to another one to see if it does work and then try the account code they use.
So you can verify that the 9810 blocks all non-contact text messages, but you could never discover why ? That is bad for me as a user of the 9810, but I appreciate that you have verified this bug in the 9810.

What do you mean when you said that you "tried turning it on" ? Do you mean that you chose Parental Controls and then "Text messages from contacts only" and then you added a contact account and verified that you received the text message ? If that is the case how do you specify such a contact account ? Don't you have to know the phone number coming from, let's say PayPal, in order to add such a contact ? The number '23456' is not a phone number AFAIK.

Last edited by eldiener; 11-28-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Old 11-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

My text messages from various companies show a 6 or 5 digit number. All I did was put that number in the contact number with a name like bank

I tried playing with the options. on , off etc.

Again I would try to find the number PayPal is using and It wont be a 7 or 10 digit number.
It will be 5 or 6 numbers based on my phone.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #7
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
My text messages from various companies show a 6 or 5 digit number. All I did was put that number in the contact number with a name like bank

I tried playing with the options. on , off etc.

Again I would try to find the number PayPal is using and It wont be a 7 or 10 digit number.
It will be 5 or 6 numbers based on my phone.
Thanks, but I have no idea how to find what number any of these websites actually use when they say that they will send you a text message.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

That's why I suggested using a different phone to see if you can get the number. It will require you too also put in the different number in the companies like PayPal.

Not easy.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That's why I suggested using a different phone to see if you can get the number. It will require you too also put in the different number in the companies like PayPal.

Not easy.
Sure, but getting a different cellphone just so I can use my 9810, rather than the other cellphone, seems sort of silly. The only plus from this is that I am used to the 9810 and find that the Android OS is a disaster for me, so even if I purchased a more modern Android OS phone I might not want to use it.

I do wish that someone knew how to fix this bug in the 9810. I do not even know if this bug is only in the 9810 or in all the 9800 series. I guess the 9810 is too old to expect a software fix for this problem.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
tsac
BlackBerry God

My suggestion was only to borrow a phone to test the text and get the numbers.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldiener View Post
[xxx8230;]

Is there some difference between text messages sent from websites and text messages from ordinary users ? Is there some setting on my Torch 9810 that I must set in order to receive text messages sent from websites ?
For what it's worth, I don't see any difference between SMS from contacts (and spam sometimes) and legit SMS from web services like two-factor authentication codes.

I'm with tsac on the general idea that the answer is something on your end, maybe a setting on the device, or maybe something that has been enabled at the carrier. The parental controls was a good thought, and maybe cycling it on and off is worth a try. But I would also just feel out your carrier's customer service and see what ideas they have.

Putting your SIM in another device and then setting up one of these SMS messages from a website is also a good idea. Borrow a device for a few minutes. See what happens. If the messages makes it through, then that tells you to focus on the device. If the message doesn't get through, that lends weight to assuming the issue is with the carrier vice the device.

My bet, however, is that the issue is with the carrier. If you can test with another device, I would do that before calling the carrier. And when you call the carrier, tell them what you have done as far as troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Last edited by aiharkness; 11-29-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Old 11-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

Thank Ira, I tested by moving my sim to a 9810 I have and played with the "parental control options" and was able to block non contact texts.
Seems like a possibility that the carrier has issues. Hopefully the OP is willing to try the various suggestions.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 AM   #13
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
For what it's worth, I don't see any difference between SMS from contacts (and spam sometimes) and legit SMS from web services like two-factor authentication codes.

I'm with tsac on the general idea that the answer is something on your end, maybe a setting on the device, or maybe something that has been enabled at the carrier. The parental controls was a good thought, and maybe cycling it on and off is worth a try. But I would also just feel out your carrier's customer service and see what ideas they have.

Putting your SIM in another device and then setting up one of these SMS messages from a website is also a good idea. Borrow a device for a few minutes. See what happens. If the messages makes it through, then that tells you to focus on the device. If the message doesn't get through, that lends weight to assuming the issue is with the carrier vice the device.

My bet, however, is that the issue is with the carrier. If you can test with another device, I would do that before calling the carrier. And when you call the carrier, tell them what you have done as far as troubleshooting.

Good luck.
I do not have another "device". I will contact the carrier (AT&T), although they are enormously difficult to get an intelligent answer from, and see if they know anything.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #14
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Thank Ira, I tested by moving my sim to a 9810 I have and played with the "parental control options" and was able to block non contact texts.
Seems like a possibility that the carrier has issues. Hopefully the OP is willing to try the various suggestions.
Thanks for your help. I will contact the carrier.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

A bit of advice when dealing with the carriers. I've experienced a lot of variability with the customer service representatives. I recall one time I called back four times on a problem before it was resolved, and it turned out to be a date entered into the record that was wrong, and the first three representatives never noticed. I've had representatives that just want to get you off the line, and knowledgeable representatives that give you detailed info and solve the problem.

Lesson: Be cooperative, be polite, but be firm. If you have to call back to get a better representative, do it.

Maybe I'm telling you what you already know. But just in case.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #16
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
A bit of advice when dealing with the carriers. I've experienced a lot of variability with the customer service representatives. I recall one time I called back four times on a problem before it was resolved, and it turned out to be a date entered into the record that was wrong, and the first three representatives never noticed. I've had representatives that just want to get you off the line, and knowledgeable representatives that give you detailed info and solve the problem.

Lesson: Be cooperative, be polite, but be firm. If you have to call back to get a better representative, do it.

Maybe I'm telling you what you already know. But just in case.
I contacted AT&T but got conflicting information from them, First they claimed that I was not getting texts from websites because of some previous Blackberry Inbox, which they no longer support. Then, when I called again asking for clarification, because I do get text messages from individuals, they claimed that it must have something to do with the 9810 and not them, and the only thing they could suggest is that I should reset my phone. When I told them I would lose all my phone's settings and data doing that they suggested I back up everything and then restore it. But I do not know if the Blackberry backup software can do that and naturally I do not want to lose all this data and functionality which I currently have. I really do not think AT&T has any clue to my problem.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Well, it was worth the try.

The last thing to try after you have tried everything else is a clean OS reload. If you had confidence in being able to backup and restore it would be a simple matter. If you have been doing backups and can still do a backup, then odds are you will be able to restore. If you can't do a backup then it's moot. But if you do it, test before you restore.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #18
tsac
BlackBerry God

I received a notice from ATT that they will be changing how they interact with a blackberry device. "supposedly" they will do a change in mid December and they will require users to reload the phone. I have asked if any stored email will be deleted and have not been able to get a clear answer.
With all the changes at Blackberry and the lack of Blackberry's support for carriers including users I suspect ATT may have made changes early in attempts to see if they will have problems.
I have noticed a delay in delivery of messages and emails. It may just be my location or other but something is definitely changing.
And just to add to the confusion the email received and the links given do not offer any clear answers.

the message from ATT

We’re updating the way that you connect your AT&T Yahoo Mail to your BlackBerry device on December 19, 2018. You’re impacted if you use Blackberry 10, BlackBerry 7 or earlier devices.

What this means for you:
Around December 19, you may be asked to sign in again to your AT&T Yahoo Mail account. Then, you will need to complete the below steps. Please make sure to have both your mobile device and a computer available.
Step 1 – Remove your account

You will need to temporarily remove your existing AT&T Yahoo Mail account from your BlackBerry device.

Step 2 – Re-integrate account

You will need to re-integrate the account by following the steps linked below for your device.

https://support.blackberry.com/kb/ar...mber=000013799

A BlackBerry Knowledge Base article on issues using AT&T Yahoo Mail on Blackberry is available. We are also working with BlackBerry on a solution to enable OAuth access for Android BlackBerry devices.
For additional questions or concerns please visit AT&T Community Forums.
Thanks for being an AT&T Yahoo Mail user.
AT&T Yahoo Mail Team
Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #19
eldiener
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I received a notice from ATT that they will be changing how they interact with a blackberry device. "supposedly" they will do a change in mid December and they will require users to reload the phone. I have asked if any stored email will be deleted and have not been able to get a clear answer.
With all the changes at Blackberry and the lack of Blackberry's support for carriers including users I suspect ATT may have made changes early in attempts to see if they will have problems.
I have noticed a delay in delivery of messages and emails. It may just be my location or other but something is definitely changing.
And just to add to the confusion the email received and the links given do not offer any clear answers.

the message from ATT

We’re updating the way that you connect your AT&T Yahoo Mail to your BlackBerry device on December 19, 2018. You’re impacted if you use Blackberry 10, BlackBerry 7 or earlier devices.

What this means for you:
Around December 19, you may be asked to sign in again to your AT&T Yahoo Mail account. Then, you will need to complete the below steps. Please make sure to have both your mobile device and a computer available.
Step 1 – Remove your account

You will need to temporarily remove your existing AT&T Yahoo Mail account from your BlackBerry device.

Step 2 – Re-integrate account

You will need to re-integrate the account by following the steps linked below for your device.

https://support.blackberry.com/kb/ar...mber=000013799

A BlackBerry Knowledge Base article on issues using AT&T Yahoo Mail on Blackberry is available. We are also working with BlackBerry on a solution to enable OAuth access for Android BlackBerry devices.
For additional questions or concerns please visit AT&T Community Forums.
Thanks for being an AT&T Yahoo Mail user.
AT&T Yahoo Mail Team
I only have AT&T as my mobile carrier. I do not use any e-mail accounts from my Torch 9810, and I do not even know if I have an AT&T Yahoo e-mail account simply because AT&T is my mobile carrier. Therefore I do not know how I am affected by what you write above. My main problem is in texting, where I can text back and forth with individuals but do not receive text messages from websites that want to verify my phone number and/or identity to them.

Unfortunately the geniuses at AT&T have now decided, as an extra measure of "security", that you can not even login to your account anymore without first entering a text message code which they send to your cellphone. I have been back and forth with AT&T about this latter problem a number of times and they promise a resolution. In the meantime the original problem of this thread seems to have no resolution, but AT&T told me they have escalated that problem report also, not that I even expect a solution from them about it.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #20
tsac
BlackBerry God

If you do not use the phone except for calls and texting I would try the suggestion aiharkness suggested and do a complete OS replacement.
Just make sure you have any info copied or written down you may need like passwords etc.

The link is here

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...languages.html
Closed Thread