davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Forum Consensus on Device Updates

Please Login to Remove!

Good morning all!

I would just like to ask a question to get the "opinions" in this forum.

I bought a Torch, (9800) some months back, (around Xmas maybe), and to date, it is working perfect and I love it. Actually, my wife and I bought a matching pair of them. About six months before that, I bought a new computer with WIN 7 HP on it and had to update my Blackberry desktop software to accommodate that. But we both still have the original "Device" software installed on our Blackberries.

I like to peruse these forums just for information and occasionally, I see post concerning unhappiness over what some "new update" has done to people's phones. I think I remember someone even trying to UN-update their phone or go back to a previous version to re-attain some functionality they lost.

So, my basic question to the forum is- How important is it that you install every update as it comes down the pike? I ask because my Desktop software keeps informing me that a device update is available and I keep ignoring it because I like my phone the way it is.

I don't use mine for business although my wife does. But even in her case, there is no feature that she complains about not having. I know she is quite happy with it the way it is now. And I certainly don't want to do anything to change or loose what we already have.

I am just not sure how much these updates are for added features or security.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Forum Consensus on Device Updates

I don't know if there is wide spread agreement. Many want to run the very latest. Some wait for their carrier's official release. And some are going to say, If it isn't broke don't fix it.

Typically an OS upgrade is going to provide bug fixes and sometimes new features. Obviously, for those going from 5 to 6 there are huge changes.

If you are happy, there is a good argument for leaving well enough alone. If you really aren't itching to try an upgrade and see what it does for you, that's another reason to stick with what you have.

But if you do it, advise doing your BlackBerry first. It's easy enough to do but not without risk.

Last edited by aiharkness; 06-20-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemack View Post
Good morning all!

I would just like to ask a question to get the "opinions" in this forum.

I bought a Torch, (9800) some months back, (around Xmas maybe), and to date, it is working perfect and I love it. Actually, my wife and I bought a matching pair of them. About six months before that, I bought a new computer with WIN 7 HP on it and had to update my Blackberry desktop software to accommodate that. But we both still have the original "Device" software installed on our Blackberries.

I like to peruse these forums just for information and occasionally, I see post concerning unhappiness over what some "new update" has done to people's phones. I think I remember someone even trying to UN-update their phone or go back to a previous version to re-attain some functionality they lost.

So, my basic question to the forum is- How important is it that you install every update as it comes down the pike? I ask because my Desktop software keeps informing me that a device update is available and I keep ignoring it because I like my phone the way it is.

I don't use mine for business although my wife does. But even in her case, there is no feature that she complains about not having. I know she is quite happy with it the way it is now. And I certainly don't want to do anything to change or loose what we already have.

I am just not sure how much these updates are for added features or security.
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say the forum concensus is...

There isn't one! Some here are the early adopters, and try every single new OS version that comes out. They report here about their experiences, and the rest of us wait for the reports from them and then decide whether the latest release is a good one to install or not. Since they try every single one, you're right - sometimes if a new version has bugs or issues, they'll talk about downgrading.

For me - and I'd recommend for you - wait a while and watch the threads here about each new release and see what the early adopters think, then make your decision. In my case, I've updated my (and my wife's) from 6.0.0.224 to .337 to .576 and skipped everything else in between.

I will say though, if your phones are on 6.0.0.24 as your profile says, they're LONG overdue for an update. Based on what I've seen here, I'd probably recommend either 6.0.0.546 or 6.0.0.570.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

IMHO, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. If the device is working the way you want and need, then why risk screwing it up with an OS update?

I am probably in the minority, but the forum is full of upgrades that changed things.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
IMHO, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. If the device is working the way you want and need, then why risk screwing it up with an OS update?

I am probably in the minority, but the forum is full of upgrades that changed things.
So yours came with .534 installed?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
So yours came with .534 installed?

What does that have to do with anything?

I moved from .246 which it came with to .534 when AT&T released it to the public.

-->>Twitter

Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

I have six 9800's one is still running .246 (will be upgrading but I am lazy at the moment)the rest have different OS installed,all are running the same apps. that said,the two best OS's out of the devices we have are .448 and .546

all that said,you will get 10 different opinions or views and all have different uses and likes with their devices.

I have used almost all of the leaked OS's that have come down the pipeline..and I have reverted back to previous upgraded version twice,but never reverted back to .246

6.0.0.546 is the most stable OS for me(but I am getting ready to test drive .600)

backup your 9800 and upgrade

Old 06-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Generally speaking, if your BlackBerry is running perfectly with the current OS you have installed, Don't Mess With It. There is no need to update to each and every new version that comes along. Mostly they fix bugs and other issues, but if you're not experiencing any bugs/issues, by updating constantly you're probably going to find a version of the OS that does give you issues. It sucks to create a problem where none existed before. Been there, done that!

Peruse the forums and see new versions give users some killer feature you want. Otherwise, ignore the updates until a "must have" one comes along.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
What does that have to do with anything?

I moved from .246 which it came with to .534 when AT&T released it to the public.
What does it have to do with anything? Well, it has EVERYTHING to do with this thread. You yourself HAVE upgraded from 6.0.0.246 which yours came with but are here advising a user with a much older 6.0.0.24 NOT to upgrade?

Its kinda like saying "I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, but my advice to you is to stay on Windows ME where you're at."
Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me

Once 6.0.0.534 came out, they have just been minor steps up in battery life and system performance. I would ensure you are there or "better". After that, enjoy your phone.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
What does it have to do with anything? Well, it has EVERYTHING to do with this thread. You yourself HAVE upgraded from 6.0.0.246 which yours came with but are here advising a user with a much older 6.0.0.24 NOT to upgrade?

Its kinda like saying "I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7, but my advice to you is to stay on Windows ME where you're at."
As a mod, I need to keep up with what is going on and be able to provide an honest opinion and help. I also happen to be a long time BB user and fairly knowledgeable on the device, so if I have a problem, I can usually figure it out or I know someone who can, unlike many of the members here.

If you read through the forum's various sections, you will see many threads about upgrades gone wrong. Granted we don't get the good stuff about those that went right,but there are enough to use as a warning signal, especially if one is fairly new tot he device or not very tech savvy as you must be.

AndI still run Windows XP on my PCs and do not plan to upgrade to Apple's new OS Lion when it comes out. Snow Leopard works well for me. I do have a Windows 7 laptop which is used as a test device for the beta programs I am involved in, that is all it is used for.

-->>Twitter

Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #12
Thiego-uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Its hard to say about it. Updates should improve the performance of the device but not always work like this.
If you like trying out you should go for it and if it affects something that make your regret you can always roll back.
If you dont like messing around and is happy with it there shouldnt be a need to worry about it than.
;)
Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

I really appreciate all the great information. My basic concern is that I don't want to loose even one small aspect of what I have but mainly battery-life. I went through hell constantly upgrading the Curve as it seemed each update added features but it was always a compromise, like I lost speaker volume and battery life.

I am shocked at how long the battery lasts in this thing, up to 3 days if I leave the location service off. And it has never given me one single problem. True, I may be totally unaware of cool new features but you don't miss what you don't know even exists. I guess .246 is about a year old now and my "Desktop" software keeps hammering me with "Updates Required for your Device" and I just click past them. I guess I am looking for someone to say that some particular update has been out a while, it is very solid and without issues, and it's a very good idea to step up to it.

Both my wife's and my phone are not "modified" in any way except for the addition of Google maps and maybe one or two other small apps, so, I would think an update should go without a hitch. I know there is always a little gambling involved but I don't want to pick an update that anyone knows has issues in it.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

you cant go wrong with .448 or .546 the thing that I noticed and is annoying (and it may not bother you) going from .246 to .448 or .546 the delay in previewing pic after taking your shot...touching the lower left corner to preview pic..you have a delay for the picture showing up...very annoying for me.
.246 OS did not have this delay..

Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird57 View Post
you cant go wrong with .448 or .546 the thing that I noticed and is annoying (and it may not bother you) going from .246 to .448 or .546 the delay in previewing pic after taking your shot...touching the lower left corner to preview pic..you have a delay for the picture showing up...very annoying for me.
.246 OS did not have this delay..
That's an interesting tid-bit. I do use the camera a bit but I don't know if that delay would really be irritating. I probably should go for it or at least do my own and if all goes well, then the wife's. I know she would kill me if I did anything to make her phone any less functional but I'm sure that's all relative to what she likes. I don't think she uses the camera much so probably not a biggy. But thank you very much for the information.