Old 10-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #1
gadders

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default BB 9800 Torch battery life problems - 7hrs max

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,

I've had the new Torch for less than a week now. It started having major battery issues two days ago. I can get about 7hrs now (with about one phonecall) before the battery is completely dead. I have the phone set for 2G only with GPS switched off.

I've called the carrier and they say that they will send out a new phone only (not battery) asap as they think the problem is the phone. Apparently BB now consider the phone and battery as two separate items, and rather than shipping out a new unit with phone and battery they only ship one...

Has anyone else in the UK / US had issues with the battery? Is it a known fault? I thought the Torch battery life was supposed to be amazing...

I use the phone for business and if it's anything like the Storm, it needs to go back and be replaced with something reliable like the Bold 9000.

Many thanks

gadders
Old 10-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Why not let them send the new BB and see if it does help? Your carrier (or insurer) is the one that decides what replacement parts will be sent and what won't be, not RIM or BlackBerry...
Old 10-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I get a day to a day and a half with mine. Several phone calls a day, 50-100 email a day, some surfing, social media and BBM.

Read the FAQ article on maximizing battery life, that might help.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Lisa_Lowe
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Mr. do you play music a lot or maybe games?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
gadders

Thanks for your replies - I've been to the FAQ and yep, everything is minimal, switched off, etc.

blackberry.com KB14320

In the past couple of days I've not been playing any music. I've made one phone call a day, received about 30 emails, haven't been on the social media sites (they are configured to check every 2hrs). It was fine for the first few days, then Tuesday night it just started playing up.

For future reference if anyone else has the same issues, here are the battery % :
7:30 100% 13:10 40% 15:40 10%

Cheers

G
Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
gadders

Vodafone replace the Torch yesterday, but left me with the old battery. Fully charged at 1pm dead at 11pm. Only took a single call of 6mins; switched to 2G in a cell with excellent signal; didnt access media on SD card; didnt play any music.

I used the transfer facility so there are probably a couple of apps on there which may not be OS 6 compatable - spotted someone's suggestion of checking the CPU usage.
On device go to Options, Device, Application Management.

I'm sure that Blackberry should have some benchmark stats on battery life with specific usage for the Torch before it was released - anyone have access to this information?

Vodafone have offered a new battery next to see if it takes it back to what it was for the first couple of days - if not the afraid that the Torch is gonna be sent back and swapped for the Bold ;o(

To me battery life is one of the most important features - I'd heard BB had got it right with this one... Seems not.

Gadders
Old 10-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
gadders

The solution from Bill from the Blackberry Support Community Forum has sorted this problem. It was nothing to do with changing the length of vibrations, reducing the level of volume, etc. There was a fundamental issue with something eating my battery.

I basically reset the device and observed over a 6hour period that only 15% of the battery had gone. So what was different? The only thing I can think of was the installation of the 50 or so sounds from the BB Bold which I downloaded and put into the /Device/home/user/ringtones folder. I know this sounds crazy but (apart from all my data that was previously transferred from my BB 9000) there was essentially no difference.

After I had used the transfer wizard to move the contents of my Bold 9000 to the Torch 9800, everything worked fine for a couple of days. So it wasnt the transfer process.

All the other programs (Facebook, Twitter, etc) have now all been re-installed and I'm getting the decent level of battery life stated on the official website.

If anyone else sees similar battery life (loss of 10% in an hour) then I suggest a re-install; there is probably something that you've installed that has affected the battery life.

Top tip : I will now be employing an approach of backing up before installing any additional application, and if I see anything affecting battery life, restoring the previous version.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
acaballero

Model: 8900
Carrier: telcel
Default Battery tip

You may have several battery-draining apps open inavertedly. To make sure, press the menu button for 3 sec. and close the apps you are not using at the moment, like GPS, maps, etc.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #9
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

I run GPS/Google Maps Latitude all day long,with wifi and bluetooth,berryweather updating every 30mins,moderate surfing the net and emails...full 100% and my battery drain is down 19% in 7.50 hours I thought that was pretty good!!

Last edited by tbird57; 11-05-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
sandro21
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Vodafone GR
Default Re: BB 9800 Torch battery life problems - 7hrs max

Require them send you a new BBxxx65292;or replace a new batteryxxx65292;or charge your BB via solar chargerxxx65292;it is heard from some article solar charger can extend battery life.
This article is about "solar charger review"
Solar Charger Review
Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #11
polytan

Carrier: none

I had a similar problem too while switching from 8900 to 9800 using the switch function from BB Desktop Software.

After a wipe and an upgrade (I did both at the same time so I don't know which one worked effectively) and a re-synchronisation onto BB mail server, it runs simply fine.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:24 AM   #12
hammer40
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

My Torch had the same battery issues you're having. It turned out to be some apps that transfered over from my 8900. They weren't totally compatible with OS 6 and the Torch. Deleted them and battery life is great now.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #13
jam11

Model: 8900
Default Looking for beta testers for our music app who have Torch

We have developed an application that enables users to stream their itunes music on your BB phones. Our app is already in the BB App World but we are now testing our Torch application. We are looking for 5 beta customers who are ready to try it.

We need people who have iTunes on their computers and want to listen to their music anywhere. if interested please email to [email address]

Thanks
Old 11-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
VentureForth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Just bought a Torch for my wife last week. No problems until I installed Weatherbug. Then it would freeze anytime I selected the browser and the battery would drain rapidly.

Removed WB and it seems much more stable for now.

An alternative to WB is NWS Client. Doesn't seem to be quite the drain. IIRC, WB is some MAJOR spyware so it doesn't suprise me that it would drain the battery.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread