BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Just got the BlackBerry 9700 today, having weird issues...

Please Login to Remove!

So, today I finally upgraded to the 9700. YAY!

But now, after getting the new device set-up, all my data and apps transferred over, etc, I'm having some weird issues. First off, the basic information that I know everyone's going to ask for:

This is a 9700 Bold 2 on T-Mobile, it came preloaded with OS version 5.0.0.714, and my installed 3rd party apps are YouMail Visual Voicemail, Weatherbug, Traffic, Facebook, BlackBerry App World, Dictionary.Com and PayPal.

So, I'm having some issues right now. First off, I always use Opera Mini as a second browser, especially since version 5.0 has added tabbed browsing into the mix. But it refuses to work on the 9700 with this OS version, even when I download and install the latest version, 5.1, which comes up as the correct one for the 9700. Anyone know what's stopping Opera Mini from working?

And I also had the "phantom new message alert", where after a reboot, a new message chime sounded, and the red LED was blinking, but there was no new message or alert ANYWHERE on the device. Anyone have any clues what was going on there?

And lastly, why doesn't the thing lock the keys when I put it in the holster?

EDIT: Well, I tried deleting Opera Mini and d/ling and installing it one more time... NOW it's decided to work. So that problem's solved... I guess? And the new message alert went away... Still upset about the no locking keys bit, though.

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 07-10-2010 at 12:21 AM..
Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The lock/standby 'issue' has been hotly debated in many threads here.

Basically, RIM changed things up a bit when it comes to the function of the lock key on the left shoulder of the device. If you press that lock key, the device goes into what I always knew as standby mode - the keys are locked until you press the lock key again. Same thing happens if you press and hold the 'A' key.

If you want to password lock the device, you can press and hold the 'K' key.

I believe holstering will only put it into the standby type mode I referred to above - it won't password lock. And removing it from the holster appears to take it out of standby. I didn't get any random keypresses to work while it was holstered, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps explain things a bit. I'm glad those other two issues resolved themselves.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
So, today I finally upgraded to the 9700. YAY!

But now, after getting the new device set-up, all my data and apps transferred over, etc, I'm having some weird issues. First off, the basic information that I know everyone's going to ask for:

This is a 9700 Bold 2 on T-Mobile, it came preloaded with OS version 5.0.0.714, and my installed 3rd party apps are YouMail Visual Voicemail, Weatherbug, Traffic, Facebook, BlackBerry App World, Dictionary.Com and PayPal.

So, I'm having some issues right now. First off, I always use Opera Mini as a second browser, especially since version 5.0 has added tabbed browsing into the mix. But it refuses to work on the 9700 with this OS version, even when I download and install the latest version, 5.1, which comes up as the correct one for the 9700. Anyone know what's stopping Opera Mini from working?

And I also had the "phantom new message alert", where after a reboot, a new message chime sounded, and the red LED was blinking, but there was no new message or alert ANYWHERE on the device. Anyone have any clues what was going on there?

And lastly, why doesn't the thing lock the keys when I put it in the holster?

EDIT: Well, I tried deleting Opera Mini and d/ling and installing it one more time... NOW it's decided to work. So that problem's solved... I guess? And the new message alert went away... Still upset about the no locking keys bit, though.
You can set it to lock when you put it in the holster. It's the last option under Password in Settings. No idea about the phantom alert.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
CoraCora
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: SKLX
PIN: no pin on a sidekick
Carrier: T-Mobile US

The phantom Red flashes must be from an app that you haven't checked yet.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #5
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoraCora View Post
The phantom Red flashes must be from an app that you haven't checked yet.
I've checked every app on my device that I actually use. And it does it after each battery pull. Have no idea what's doing it. Other people have had the same problem, and none of us can find the culprit.

In other news, it's nice to FINALLY have the ability to use my web browser while on a phone call! And my OtterBox Defender Case arrived yesterday, so my 9700 is now well protected against my occasional clumsiness. I highly recommend this case, it's awesome with a side of awesome sauce! ^_^

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 07-11-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Old 07-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
Imcrackedout
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
I've checked every app on my device that I actually use. And it does it after each battery pull. Have no idea what's doing it. Other people have had the same problem, and none of us can find the culprit.

In other news, it's nice to FINALLY have the ability to use my web browser while on a phone call! And my OtterBox Defender Case arrived yesterday, so my 9700 is now well protected against my occasional clumsiness. I highly recommend this case, it's awesome with a side of awesome sauce! ^_^
Yes the defender case is awesome, but the holster they designed is the worst invention in years, I am on number three for the plastice holster.
They decided to make the dish the phone sits in very shallow and it just clicks in to the small ears on the side of the holster, holds snug for a week or so than you'll be happy you have the defender case because the phone will be bouncing off the ground every ten minutes.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcrackedout View Post
Yes the defender case is awesome, but the holster they designed is the worst invention in years, I am on number three for the plastice holster.
They decided to make the dish the phone sits in very shallow and it just clicks in to the small ears on the side of the holster, holds snug for a week or so than you'll be happy you have the defender case because the phone will be bouncing off the ground every ten minutes.
I've read other reviews saying the same thing, but I've had NO issues with the plastic holster, and I've been using it since Saturday. It works like a charm for me!

But just for fun, I compared the Defender-clad 9700 to my previous BlackBerries, to see what the size was like. And I noticed that it's similar in size to my old 8700g. So last night, I pulled out a generic (non-RIM) leather belt pouch that I had picked up a few years ago for my 8700g. Opened it up, tried it out... and the Otter Box-clad 9700 fits in it PERFECTLY! The magnet for "Holster Mode" is even in the correct place!

So, if worse comes to worse, I'll just start using that leather pouch instead. I'll post pictures of it later on, in case anyone else that's using the Otter Box Defender wants to try and find one. This pouch was readily available a few years ago, but I don't know how hard it would be to find one today.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Imcrackedout

Quote:
I've read other reviews saying the same thing, but I've had NO issues with the plastic holster, and I've been using it since Saturday. It works like a charm for me!

But just for fun, I compared the Defender-clad 9700 to my previous BlackBerries, to see what the size was like. And I noticed that it's similar in size to my old 8700g. So last night, I pulled out a generic (non-RIM) leather belt pouch that I had picked up a few years ago for my 8700g. Opened it up, tried it out... and the Otter Box-clad 9700 fits in it PERFECTLY! The magnet for "Holster Mode" is even in the correct place!

So, if worse comes to worse, I'll just start using that leather pouch instead. I'll post pictures of it later on, in case anyone else that's using the Otter Box Defender wants to try and find one. This pouch was readily available a few years ago, but I don't know how hard it would be to find one today.
That's good to hear! I have been looking for a nice leather case to hold the cladded 9700.
I know you happy now, but as time goes by every time you sit witjh the case on you hip it will slowly weaken the ears and it will break.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
wjereb

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T - BES

I have had my 9700 Defender case for less than a month and I am on my 2nd holster. I broke one of the ears off of the first. I have also been in contact with Otter Box regarding the badly designed holster. They are expecting production to be complete on a new design shortly. Unfortunately they do not have the ability to keep a list of people who need the new holster (No pens and paper?) so I keep checking with them weekly. I suggest you do the same. IMCRACKEDOUT is correct, mine falls out with very little effort once the ears get broken in.

Bill J
If someone helps you, hit the Thanks button!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
Imcrackedout

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjereb View Post
I have had my 9700 Defender case for less than a month and I am on my 2nd holster. I broke one of the ears off of the first. I have also been in contact with Otter Box regarding the badly designed holster. They are expecting production to be complete on a new design shortly. Unfortunately they do not have the ability to keep a list of people who need the new holster (No pens and paper?) so I keep checking with them weekly. I suggest you do the same. IMCRACKEDOUT is correct, mine falls out with very little effort once the ears get broken in.

Bill J
Thanks for the update, glad to hear they are working to improve the design, how it got past testing is beyond me, but at least there're a stand up company that do back their products! When i spoke with a rep a month ago he wasn't able to say wheather or not they would even redesign it, but now that they are I am very happy!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
wjereb

Quote:
Thanks for the update, glad to hear they are working to improve the design, how it got past testing is beyond me, but at least there're a stand up company that do back their products! When i spoke with a rep a month ago he wasn't able to say wheather or not they would even redesign it, but now that they are I am very happy!
UPDATE! I just received word from Otter Box that the newly designed 9700 Defender holster is expected to be released this week. They have ordered me one that will ship as soon as they come in. This is good news as I am heading out for vacation in less than 3 weeks and I didn't want to have to worry about losing my phone while touring.

Bill J
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Imcrackedout

Quote:
UPDATE! I just received word from Otter Box that the newly designed 9700 Defender holster is expected to be released this week. They have ordered me one that will ship as soon as they come in. This is good news as I am heading out for vacation in less than 3 weeks and I didn't want to have to worry about losing my phone while touring.

Bill J
Thanks for letting us know!.
Just got off the phone with customer service, and my new holster should be here in 7-10 bis days. I'm hoping it stands the test of time!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
ViperGal

Carrier: att

I used to get ghost calls (random calls place by my phone without me) ... until i locked the keyboard.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
felix1522
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: NUMBER.
Carrier: TELUS

That's why I like the "Lock when holstering" function.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
Imcrackedout

Quote:

Bill J
I just recieved my newly designed holster, and it sucks! It's supposed to be a "new" design but looks identical to the old one, the clips do hold on more tightly than the previous design but i was looking for something better, one that the phone would slide down into as apposed to be clipped onto, I just can't trust my $600 phone barely hanging on to a crappy holster.

Well, I'm off to the local shoemaker who will sew me a nice genuine leather case that will protect and hold my phone the way I expect it to be.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM   #16
wjereb

I didn't receive mine yet but do you think that maybe they shipped you an old holster in error?

Bill J
Old 07-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #17
Imcrackedout

Quote:
I didn't receive mine yet but do you think that maybe they shipped you an old holster in error?

Bill J
The first thing I did was call them, she said it is the new case! I am using it right now and 3 hours in its already half as tight as it was new.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-31-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
wjereb

Quote:
The first thing I did was call them, she said it is the new case! I am using it right now and 3 hours in its already half as tight as it was new.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
I received mine on Friday and it looked identical to the old one so I questioned my contact at Otter Box and here is his reply:

The design of the holster has not changed. The design problem that caused the device to become loose has been corrected, however.

I'm not sure what that means but I will give the new holster a try.

Bill J
Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #19
Imcrackedout

Quote:
I received mine on Friday and it looked identical to the old one so I questioned my contact at Otter Box and here is his reply:

The design of the holster has not changed. The design problem that caused the device to become loose has been corrected, however.

I'm not sure what that means but I will give the new holster a try.

Bill J
Yes, thats about it. They tightened it up a bit. Does not change the fact that
the phone is barely sitting on a shallow hook with two small ears holding it in.
I am afraid to go anywhere or do anything somewhat active with the phone on the holster. It is just a very bad overall design, and I know it will fall off sooner or later. I was hoping for a complete edesign but I guess retooling would cost too much at this point, and strengthening the ear area was a cheap fix. I give up on this holster, and like I said I will be getting something built too hold the phone solidly.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #20
wjereb

Actually this is my 3rd holster. One of the ears broke off on the original and I received a warranty replacement. Right now the 2nd holster is holding my phone rather firmly and I have tested #3 and have found it to hold it just as tightly.

I threw away the original so I can't compare it to the newer ones.

Bill J
Closed Thread