jhe888
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Trackball doesn't work, help?

Please Login to Remove!

A 8830, from Sprint.

I read the FAQs and took the ball out per those instructions. I haven't tried to clean the ball with alcohol because I am at work.

The down direction on the trackball doesn't work. When you roll it under normal pressure, you feel none of the little clicks, and it doesn't scroll. If I semi-depress the trackball, it works, sort of.

When I had it out for cleaning, I can see that the roller for the down movement does not roll when the ball itself is rolled.

The other directions of the ball work fine.

What gives? How can it be fixed.

Last edited by jhe888; 09-22-2008 at 08:54 AM..
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

The first fix recommended is to firmly press and roll the trackball in the direction that it does not want to move. This is will often clear any dust, lint and debris that is hindering it.

If you have cleaned it already and are still experiencing this, you may be in for a new trackball. They are readily available at HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß, and easy to replace.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #3
jhe888

Carrier: Sprint

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Weaseal

Model: 8800
Carrier: Orange Moldova

For mine it's temperature. The trackball's pretty useless when it's cold. Whenever I get back inside or keep the phone in my pocket for a bit, it starts working right away. This is unfortunate because I spend most of my days outside in ~40 Fahrenheit weather, so my phone is hard to use most of the time :(

In technology, moving parts always cause problems. Touchscreen will be the way of the future.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Don't carry it in your pocket. That picks up dirt and lint very easily.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #6
DSS900

Model: 9000
Carrier: Roger's
Smile Roger's Tech Support suggested this.

While I don't have an 8800, the Track Ball on my 9000 suddenly quit working when scrolling to the right.

Roger's tech support provided a quick and simple solution.

First ,turn the phone off to avoid activating applications you don't to run right now.

Second, take a thin, clean and dry cloth, ( I think a lint free cloth would be best). Using the cloth, scroll up with a slight pressure for 30 seconds. Then down for 30 seconds, left for thirty seconds and last, scroll right for thirty seconds.

While scrolling right, I accidentally pressed the power button. As soon as the phone lit up, I saw the icons successively light up as well while performing the cleaning by scrolling to the right with the dry cloth.

The tech said he'd never heard of this problem with the Bold but suggested that perhaps using the phone shortly after applying hand lotion or having moist or wet hands when using the phone might contribute to the trackball malfunctioning. I agree this likely was the case since I frequently use hand lotion for my dry hands.

Good Luck,

John
Old 09-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
nj_bb_user

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Sometimes this is due to the OS and is not due to physical damage at all. Worse case scenario you may wanna try uninstalling/re-installing the hh software that will likely fix it.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
tuscanphoneco

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I have this problem all the time.... dirt and crap buildup after a few months and jam the trackball. You can take it out and clean it but its a hassle. I always order replacements for myself and my users from BlackBerryTrackballs.com. They come w/ good instructions and are very helpful. Also, they usually come real quickly.

Last edited by tuscanphoneco; 10-02-2008 at 02:47 PM..
Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
dcarr66

Model: Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
The first fix recommended is to firmly press and roll the trackball in the direction that it does not want to move. This is will often clear any dust, lint and debris that is hindering it.

If you have cleaned it already and are still experiencing this, you may be in for a new trackball. They are readily available at HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß, and easy to replace.
I was having the same problem, and that solution worked great - thanks!
Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

dcarr, thanks, good to hear.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
pvdiamon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: US Cellular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post

This site remains awesome! Woke up with trackball not scrolling down, logged on, found this, and the first method fixed it. THANKS.

John
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
mstabile

My 8830 trackball scrolls just fine. My problem now is that if I put just moderate scrolling pressure on the ball, it acts like I pressed it in. Is there a quick fix, or is it time already to buy a replacement ball?
Closed Thread