Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 03:19 AM   #1
scapes

Model: 7290
Carrier: Vodaphone
Default Folder Problems

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I have a problem with my new 7290. Perhaps it is a newbie-caused ignorance thing - perhaps not, but I'm well and truly stuck, so gonna ask you helpful folks for advice.

For the moment, I'm not connected to a data plan, but figure that shouldn't stop me using the BB as a PIM and more as well as a phone. I've been able to synch my Outlook addresses into the BB, with no problems, but have problems with the email folders. The Desktop Software asks to choose between Personal Folders andArchive Folders, and I chose Personal. But, now I have 2 sets of folders and no mails copy from Desktop to BB or vice-versa. If I create a new folder in Outlook inPersonal FOlders, the folder syncs into my BB folder structure, but no amount of syncing will bring in any messages.

Am I getting the whole idea wrong here, or does it sound like something is not right. How does one delete folders from the BB? And just all round 'HELP!!'

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

PS one other thought too - does anyone know if I can use one of the more basic data plans from Cingular (not the $35 - $45 BB ones) for a limited access to IMs, Internet or anything else? Is it a single choice situation here - the whole shebang or nothing?

Thanks again,
Kevin

Last edited by scapes; 07-09-2005 at 03:22 AM..
Old 07-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
scapes

A little more info in case it is useful:

I did have Desktop version 4.0.0.30 I think that was supplied with the BB.
Last night I downloaded SP1, so I now have 4.0.1.10

Running OUtlook 2003 SP1.

Hmmm, as I type this, an interesting development ... Outlook doing its mail check this morning, and I have errors popping up one after another from Symantec Email Proxy, such as:
"Your email message to <network@etp.us.blackberry.net> with the subject of RIM_blahblahblah-hexnumbers was unable to be sent because the connection to your mail serverwas interrupted Please open your email client and resend the message from the sent folder. I thought at first I was getting one of these for each incoming message in Outlook, but its actually the same one and clicking OK on it is not getting rid of it.

There is nothing in the Outlook Sent Messages Folder that needs to be resent - but there are 5 copies in Outbox of a message to the above address at blackberry.net, each with the content 'This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Redirector and BlackBerry Handheld. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the BlackBerry Redirector.' ... and a 49 byte attachment named ETP.DAT

Now I'm *really* confused

Kevin
Old 07-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
scapes

.... and a further development a few moments after I posted. I closed the copy of that message in Outbox in Outlook that I had open while I was posting above. Then I was able to clear 4 of the 5 seemingly identical messages by clicking OK on the error dialog from Symantec. Now I just have 1 message in the outbox.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
scapes

I spent much of yesterday trying to figure this out - no luck really .. except, maybe it's because I use POP3 email, not exchange. I was working on the assumption that transferring emails just from the folders on the BB to and from Outlook it would go direct, not via email in some way. Is that incorrect? And I'm still stumped as to why I have 2 sets of 'Personal Folders' on the BB, or how to get rid of them.

Sorry for the newbieitis here - but would really appreciate some kind of advice :(

Oh and in the Redirector, it is showing emails as pending transfer to the BB, which is what makes me think I need Exchange email.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 07-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

You won't sync email from your desktop to your BB. The only way to get email on the BB is with a dataplan and "push" from your pop3 account (that's if you're not using a BES). You're going to need some sort of dataplan in order to use the email function on the BB.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
HeadOffice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Hey Scapes...

is your 7290 volume low?
I got 2x7290s (one for me and one for my wife) and both are really soft.
Have ended up ordering Bluetooth headset to combat low volume.

Interestingly - I was in the U.K. last week and it roamed onto Orange and Vodafone U.K. networks and both were quite loud.

Looks (sounds) to me like T-Mobile haven't adjusted their line level.

Do you have the same experiences?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
is your 7290 volume low?
I got 2x7290s (one for me and one for my wife) and both are really soft.
Have ended up ordering Bluetooth headset to combat low volume.

Interestingly - I was in the U.K. last week and it roamed onto Orange and Vodafone U.K. networks and both were quite loud.

Looks (sounds) to me like T-Mobile haven't adjusted their line level.

Do you have the same experiences?
I'm sorry, but what in the world does this have to do with his question?
Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 AM   #8
HeadOffice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Obviously, the question

was answered by the previous post.
So, I took the opportunity to ask a self proclaimed 'newbie with a 7290' their opinion.

As a newbie he/she would be used to volume levels of normal cell phones...
Old 07-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #9
scapes

Thanks for confirming the sad news I was suspecting

I'm now also gathering that the only data plans I can use (from Cingular) are the expensive specialized blackberry ones. They have others that supposedly work with GPRS, such as Media Basics, only $9.99 per month - but I think they forbid them to be used with BB's. I guess they figure most BB users are corporate users, not personal users, and will be able to afford an extra $45 a month per phone. Which seems pretty rough when the plan I have the two BB's on (for myself and my wife) only costs $60 a month for both. If we both got data, that would make the plan cost $150 a month. I REALLY need to learn to read fine print before I sign up for stuff

ANd as for headoffice's question - yes the volume does seem low - especially ringer volume, but I use the phone very minimally anyway right now, so have limited experience so far. I got the BB's specifically because my wife and I will soon be internationally separated for several months and I thought they'd make a great personal communication line between us. Right now I'm thinking hang the data, and continue to use PC's for Email and IM's, and I can get International phone plans for not too much more for phone use only. But I must admit I'm busting to at least be able to access toys like midi ringtones and images, which I can apparently only use with email access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters
You won't sync email from your desktop to your BB. The only way to get email on the BB is with a dataplan and "push" from your pop3 account (that's if you're not using a BES). You're going to need some sort of dataplan in order to use the email function on the BB.

Last edited by scapes; 07-11-2005 at 01:15 PM..
Old 07-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #10
HeadOffice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Hey Scapes...

Don't know how much leverage you can exert on Cingular re: plans
but
I'm with TMobile and I pay $50/mnth for BOTH phones on a family pan. Add $19.95/mnth for unlimted internet access for me and $29.95/mnth for my wife (who's on a BES implemention) and that's got to be cheaper than $150/mnth from Cingular.

Roaming in the UK and the eMail and PIN messages were amazing - really worth having a BB.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 AM   #11
dsensel

Model: 7250
Default Help with Folders Sync - Outlook

Guys

I just bought a Blackberry 7250. I'm trying to sync the folders of my contacts and tasks that I already had in Outlook before having the blackberry. The problem is that the blackberry organize all the contacts or tasks in just one folder and don't use my previuos categories.

How can I solve this?

thanks!
Closed Thread