BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
2wheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Best Time Tracking and Billing App???

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched and searched and can't find a good time tracking and billing app.

I'm a mechanical design consultant and bill my clients hourly. I used to use Zoskware's HourzPro on my Palms and that worked out fine. (Except for the reporting. Which was more work than it needed to be.)

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Nice BB (Curve 8900) interface with a synchronized desktop (PC) version
- Start/Stop clock feature
- Multiple tasks/projects running concurrently
- No Web based services. Not interested in paying a monthly subscription
- Export in CSV and/or to QuickBooks
- Ability to note billable and non-billable hours
- Ability to add notes
- Ability to track expenses related to the project or task

I’ll pay upwards of $100 for the right software. But, I don’t need a solution that costs hundreds of dollars. My billing is just not complex enough to justify that. With that said, if the package was robust enough, I might be willing to pay more.

I’ve tried several apps that either hung my 8900 or just did not offer the features that I need.

Any suggestions? Am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
2wheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyone?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
dualsub2006
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
PIN: Head
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheel View Post
Anyone?
You're asking too much.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
wu-wei

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Hate to say this, but your best option might be to buy a database app like HanDBase and design your own.

I tried that route when I was a Palm user, but I ultimately went with one of the many many offerings (that someone else designed) for that platform.

I'd love to see something like what you're looking for on the BB platform...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

Try the inForm application from SkySoft. In about 1 hour I built a mini time tracker, and in another hour I built an app to track the proposals that I submit to clients. You can also transmit the data to other people, or to your PC. Sweet little app. This summer they are rumored to be coming out with one that will allow you to store the data on the sd card, and also integrate pictures into the database.

Last edited by djm2; 02-20-2009 at 04:47 PM..
Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
2wheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the feedback guys. The InForm option looks promising at 1st glance. I'll download the trial version and dive it.

Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Rockbuster

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Try BizTrakit by Shrunken Head Software. I've used this software for about four years. Have no idea how it will look on a 8900, i have a 8330.

Last edited by Rockbuster; 02-20-2009 at 01:35 PM..
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
2wheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbuster View Post
Try BizTrakit by Shrunken Head Software. I've used this software for about four years. Have no idea how it will look on a 8900, i have a 8330.
Thanks Rockbuster. I Tried BizTrakit and it hung the 8900. It did something strange with the memory. Each time I tried to use voice dialing, I got a message that there was an application running and the 8900 and it could not allocate the memory for voice dialing. Dumped BizTrakit from the phone and the problem went away.

The program was also more clunky than I preferred.

Thanks again though.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

I am going to try putting biztrackit on my bold
Old 02-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

For a professional device, it is surprising how few programs there are for time tracking/billing. I've looked at just about everything that is advertised from device to web based (which tend to be very expensive and more geared for multiple users).

I had used biztrackit for a long time. The interface is dated and there are very few updates. It is difficult to look at the database on your device.

My current wish is rfcon (timettracker) or rexwireless will jump in with an application for the BB.

I did look at inform and while I nice program, I didn't want to spend a day learning it and designing a database.

Right now, I'm sticking with timettracker and using email to send myself the info on my bb when I'm away from my pc.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
imwjl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530

I got the download link for BiztrackIt 2.01. It does work on my Storm, but it is not in the league of the app called TEAK that I used with Palm for years.

I would sure like to hear of anything better if somebody is in the know. The very few others I found were not compatible with Storm or didn't have an export or conduit for another app.

It really amazes me that there's nothing sticking out to help one do their time and billing (and ease get it in QuickBooks).

I guess I need more posts here in order to post the link because the new release is not yet on the Shrunken Head www site.

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #12
imwjl

Hi,

I have also found Skysoft InForm. It has a time tracker among the templates but I am having problems with it responding to my Storm. I submitted a support request to them and will hope for a fast answer.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 AM   #13
Spovik

I can't say much for the app, but you can have your call detail exported in Excel format on MyT-Mobile.com and can use that to tally your time if it helps.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
imwjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
I can't say much for the app, but you can have your call detail exported in Excel format on MyT-Mobile.com and can use that to tally your time if it helps.
Hi,

I believe it's another sort of use people are asking for here. Not their call detail, but time logged for work tasks, customer site visits, projects etc....

I have been very impressed with the support response from Shrunkenhead for BiztrackIT so I may purchase it even though no Blackberry app I have found is good as what I leave behind with the Palm OS.

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
wu-wei

PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:

I'm a mechanical design consultant and bill my clients hourly. I used to use Zoskware's HourzPro on my Palms and that worked out fine. (Except for the reporting. Which was more work than it needed to be.)

- Ability to add notes

Ixxx8217;ll pay upwards of $100 for the right software. But, I donxxx8217;t need a solution that costs hundreds of dollars. My billing is just not complex enough to justify that. With that said, if the package was robust enough, I might be willing to pay more.

Ixxx8217;ve tried several apps that either hung my 8900 or just did not offer the features that I need.

Thanks in advance.
I just came back to this thread and reviewed your wishlist again.

It reminds me of an app I had for the Palm and the PC called Responsive Time Logger. It did everything you're asking for, and was pretty affordable.

http://responsivesoftware.com/index.html

I'd love to see it ported to the BlackBerry.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #16
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Quote:

- Ability to add notes

Ixxx8217;ll pay upwards of $100 for the right software. But, I donxxx8217;t need a solution that costs hundreds of dollars. My billing is just not complex enough to justify that. With that said, if the package was robust enough, I might be willing to pay more.

Ixxx8217;ve tried several apps that either hung my 8900 or just did not offer the features that I need.

Thanks in advance.
Did you take a look at TimeTracker yet? Not sure if it provides what you are looking for...
Old 03-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #17
imwjl

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym
Quote:

- Ability to add notes

Thanks in advance.
Did you take a look at TimeTracker yet? Not sure if it provides what you are looking for...
Yes but no support for Storm & no mention of export or conduit to desktop.

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #18
jmosssr

Model: 9930

I have used the built in task list with a palm for years using Key tasks. I can then copy and paste the data from Outlook to Excel. The Blackberry doesn't offer all of the fields but you could add the time to the description field and then manually enter it in a spreadsheet.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #19
imwjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosssr View Post
I have used the built in task list with a palm for years using Key tasks. I can then copy and paste the data from Outlook to Excel. The Blackberry doesn't offer all of the fields but you could add the time to the description field and then manually enter it in a spreadsheet.
I think most are searching for something much more automated than that as well as the punch in and out on tasks and multiple tasks to automate their accounting.

I think better of BiztrackIT after more time with the trial but wish it did not have a new line item for each iteration of punching in and out. I suppose others like it for that reason.

The Palm OS world has/had apps that do the time, expense and mile reporting in one app with a desktop conduit. I remain surprised that there is nothing the same or no hand held client for QuickBooks.

I'm trying InForm from Sky Soft but the latest beta is not quite ready to play with my particular Storm. They suggested one of the leak/hack OS upgrades but I don't have time for that and want a solution clean to manage from my BES (Professional) server.

I will download the new app world at lunch and see what's there.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 PM   #20
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

If you're interested in a really good time and expense application maybe you can go to the R&F Consulting, Inc.: Home site and tell them you'd be interested in a blackberry port. Perhaps if they get enough interest, they'll give it some consideration.

I've used this program for years, then when I switched to a BB, decided to give it up. I now have a netbook and have gone back to it.

A really nice solution would be a database like timettracker with an online database like rexwireless.

Regards-Michael G.
Closed Thread