Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:25 AM   #1
7100g
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default POP Client for BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a POP client for BlackBerry? I've been looking for years and haven't found a simple program that will send and receive e-mail without using BIS or BES. I want to check a particular account when I want to check it.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #2
Steve
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted (AT&T (Cingular) 8100 Pearl: BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

No. This is why I use gmail (or yahoo) integration only. Plus their spam filters can't be beat!

Steve
Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #3
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100g View Post
Is there a POP client for BlackBerry? I've been looking for years and haven't found a simple program that will send and receive e-mail without using BIS or BES. I want to check a particular account when I want to check it.
In addition to the correct answer given above me... you might also want to change your profile settings.
You can't possibly have a 7100g on Verizon Wireless.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
In addition to the correct answer given above me... you might also want to change your profile settings.
You can't possibly have a 7100g on Verizon Wireless.
Thanks, I changed it. I started with a 7100g on Cingular, then switched to a 7130e on Verizon, and now I have an 8130 on Verizon.

I just don't understand why no one has written a POP client.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I just don't understand why no one has written a POP client.
It's completely unnecessary and would defeat the whole purpose of using a BlackBerry for email.
BlackBerry employs a push-mail message transfer mechanism using BIS, BES and/or Desktop Redirector. That's the beauty of using a BlackBerry for mobile e-mail.

If you don't need or want push mail, then you probably own the wrong device. You might be better off with a Treo or a Windows Mobile smartphone.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
It's completely unnecessary and would defeat the whole purpose of using a BlackBerry for email.
BlackBerry employs a push-mail message transfer mechanism using BIS, BES and/or Desktop Redirector. That's the beauty of using a BlackBerry for mobile e-mail.
I use the BlackBerry for my work account, which is beautiful. I switched from a Treo because the BlackBerry integrates so well with work e-mail through the BES. But my personal account gets hundreds of messages a day, mostly spam, and I don't want to get them all in the same mailbox with all my work messages. I just want to be able to check the account when I want to check it, like Gmail for BlackBerry. Just because this isn't the approach RIM took to e-mail doesn't mean that no one else can write the application. It's the same as a third-party web browser, or RSS reader, or weather forecaster -- the programs goes and downloads something from the Internet when asked.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
I use the BlackBerry for my work account, which is beautiful. I switched from a Treo because the BlackBerry integrates so well with work e-mail through the BES. But my personal account gets hundreds of messages a day, mostly spam, and I don't want to get them all in the same mailbox with all my work messages. I just want to be able to check the account when I want to check it, like Gmail for BlackBerry. Just because this isn't the approach RIM took to e-mail doesn't mean that no one else can write the application. It's the same as a third-party web browser, or RSS reader, or weather forecaster -- the programs goes and downloads something from the Internet when asked.
Well, you're obviously in the minority on this one.
The BlackBerry has been around for a quite a long time. I would imagine if there was a strong need for such an app, it would have been written by now.
My guess is no one wants to put forth the effort to write an application that seven people (by my estimate) on the planet would want to use.

There's also an application for the BlackBerry that separates your BES and BIS messages so they don't need to get dumped into the same Messages module on the device.
Search out Empower BES Mailbox. It's been discussed here before.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

There's a POP and IMAP client underway, a number of us are using it. It's in early alpha but it's stable enough to log in (including SSL) and check your email, as well as write a new email. Other features such as saving to Sent folder and so forth aren't ready yet.

Join the project, it's open source:

LogicMail for BlackBerry - Trac

Make sure to check the 'CruiseControl' page to see what's developing, I myself run one of the sourcecode builds that are later than the 0.3.1 release.

@penguin3107: he's not in the minority, people just aren't awake yet to respond. There's plenty of us that need real POP/IMAP on our BlackBerry devices and are doing something about it. Just because you don't know about something doesn't make it real, there's avery very huge number of people that are needing a ChatterEmail replacement on the BB device.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Actually I have to agree that it is a small minority. RIMs own published numbers state that 70% of new BlackBerry sales are still in the corporate channel. They couldn't care less about a POP client, as their BES works nicely.

Of the remaining 30%, even if 25% want a POP3 client (and a lot of them are the more technical, Linux types), that's a total of 7-8% of the population.

There is limited commercial value (read: profit) in some BlackBerry applications, which probably explains the lack of an application base.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Of the remaining 30%, even if 25% want a POP3 client (and a lot of them are the more technical, Linux types), that's a total of 7-8% of the population.
I might have to disagree on this - the problem is that many, many of us work in organizations that run standards compliant IMAP/POP and will not want them running through BIS for an end-user, instead wanting a direct connection to the server. Since BES does not offer regular IMAP connections this means it's got to be a device-to-server thing. We cannot deploy BlackBerry devices in my organization on this point alone, the users have Treos with ChatterEmail.

The *lack* of a true POP/IMAP client on the device is what keeps the numbers small, if you search the forums there are a lot of people who've asked about replacements like ChatterEmail. I am the only BB user in my company because it's a painful thing to do but I can deal... (one of those nefarious linux guys you mention, mwuahahaha)
Old 11-17-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Fair enough. But if the market was large enough, I am sure that RIM would address it. After all, they finally got BES to support Groupwise, which is certainly third in size behind Exchange and Notes/Domino. The volume just isn't there yet. Again, my opinion.

And I know you are one of the nefarious Linux guys
Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #12
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Fair enough. But if the market was large enough, I am sure that RIM would address it. After all, they finally got BES to support Groupwise, which is certainly third in size behind Exchange and Notes/Domino. The volume just isn't there yet. Again, my opinion.
I see it as a continuing influence of the 8100 and newer devices, it's bringing more non-enterprise customers into the fold who don't play by the traditional rules that RIM is used to; my organization for instance is a collection of high end designers, coders, information architects, etc. who are "enterprise class" without using all the Enterprise (capital E) softwares (yes, a lot of OSX people - even the coders). People are allowed to use their device of choice, we have Treos, iPhones, Windows Mobile and me - that BlackBerry guy. I'm the only one who can't just natively plug into the IMAP server with my device. :( I *want* to roll out BB to our place, I feel it's a superior device to all of the others but...well, I can't because of IMAP. le sigh.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
7100g

I've always thought that one of the marvels of the Internet is that the classic supply and demand model is not quite so classic anymore. Sure, profit-oriented people still need to make a profit, but there are plenty of software developers that enjoy the challenge and sense of community as much as the potential revenue. I spent 10 years on the Palm platform, and there were thousands third-party programs out there for every kind of obscure purpose you could imagine. If you needed a program to track your amateur motorcycle birdwatching (with left-handed Spanish support and Quicken upload), you got it. I love my BlackBerry, but the fact is that there is relatively little software selection, and virtually none of it is free.

I've never suggested that RIM should develop a POP/IMAP client. I just don't understand why no one else has. Thanks for the lead on LogicMail above -- I'll check it out.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #14
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

I am not sure why Blackberry needs to have a POP Client. Isn't the BIS acct for? I can setup the POP information in the BIS acct.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #15
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by plchan View Post
I am not sure why Blackberry needs to have a POP Client. Isn't the BIS acct for? I can setup the POP information in the BIS acct.
I think you missed the dozen or so posts above yours in this thread.
We've already had this debate.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #16
sneakersteve

Model: 7300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO

I agree with rivviepop. I too would be interested in a pop/imap ChatterEmail type account. I'm on a corporate BES and would like the freedom of using my personal email accounts separate from the BES. I know I can use the BIS for those emails to come in to the desktop. But I don't want to reply to my personal emails from my corporate email address. We used to have Treos at work with Intellysync corporate email and I had Chatter as well for personal stuff. I miss that. Don't get me wrong, the BB is fantasitic for corporate email. But I don't want to carry 2 devices.
Closed Thread