Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #1
b&o

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Viettel
Default My BB does not turn on.

Please Login to Remove!

My BlackBerry Bold 9000 does not turn on when I install the battery. No LED, no display or any sign of life. All I have to do is remove the battery, plug in the wall charger, reinstall the battery when the red LED turns on and unplug the wall charger. From now on the phone turns on and operates normally. I can turn it off then on again but the problem reoccurs if I remove the battery.

What's the problem with my phone? Please help.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Thinking key/button failure, but a question ... Do you really have to connect it to the charger to make it power on? When it won't turn on, if you simply remove the battery and replace after half a minute, won't it boot up?

EDIT: I looked at OP again and see, first sentence, it seems the answer is that simply inserting the battery does not work.

Some other thoughts: Is the battery tight in the compartment, and contacts are being pressed against each other? What do the contacts on both the battery and the blackberry look like? Are they clean and more or less shiny, or dark and dirty looking?

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-08-2010 at 06:53 AM..
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
b&o

Thanks, Ira

Yes, inserting the battery does not work. The phone does not turn on. No LED. No any sign of life. Plugging in the wall charger (with the battery in the phone) does not help. All I have to do is unplug the charger, remove the battery, plug in the charger for the LED turns on then insert the battery back. Now unplug the charger and the phone boots up. From now on the phone functions normally. I can turn it off then on again, charge the battery with the wall charger... Everything works normally until for some reason the battery being removed and inserted back.

The battery is fully charged and I've tried with 2 other batteries. The batteries and the phone is quite new so I think there's no issue with the contacts. BTW, I found 2 things:

1. The phone clock stopped at the time the battery was removed.
2. If the battery is inserted immediately after being removed (within 1 or 2 secs) then the phone boots up normally.

Someone told me it's the CMOS battery that caused the issue. I don't know but is there a so-called cmos battery for a BlackBerry Bold? Can it be dead and how do I replace it?

Do you have any idea? Thank you very much.

Last edited by b&o; 04-08-2010 at 09:46 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I would check with HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß. If anyone can tell you, it's them. If it needs repair, they can do that too.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
b&o

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I would check with HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center ß. If anyone can tell you, it's them. If it needs repair, they can do that too.
I may consider taking the phone to a technician. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Ditto re talking to a repair tech. Post an update when you have the time.