BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #101
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I think many culmulative altimeters filter out small changes so that in your example, the total might have been near zero rather than 500m. I think my bike computer/altimeter only records (adds) changes over 10 feet (3 meters, more or less).

I have not read the manual for my "watch altimeter" in a while but I think it may also do some filtering.

Your method might actually be more accurate in some circumstances and it certainly helps MAGNIFY all those tiny ups/downs. Depending on where folks carry the BB's, just each stride or up/down-turn on a ski slope could raise/lower the BB's location. Skiing for instance - dip body into turn, rise up after turn (loss then gain), now repeat over and over............
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #102
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I think many culmulative altimeters filter out small changes so that in your example, the total might have been near zero rather than 500m. I think my bike computer/altimeter only records (adds) changes over 10 feet (3 meters, more or less).

I have not read the manual for my "watch altimeter" in a while but I think it may also do some filtering.

Your method might actually be more accurate in some circumstances and it certainly helps MAGNIFY all those tiny ups/downs. Depending on where folks carry the BB's, just each stride or up/down-turn on a ski slope could raise/lower the BB's location. Skiing for instance - dip body into turn, rise up after turn (loss then gain), now repeat over and over............
Interesting point. I do agree that the intervals would have to be similar to get the same readings. I don't know what my watch is. Sunnto Vector, and will have to go home and compare to what is set for this program. I can tell you in my early post it seems way to much though for a variance based on this alone.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #103
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Interesting point. I do agree that the intervals would have to be similar to get the same readings. I don't know what my watch is. Sunnto Vector, and will have to go home and compare to what is set for this program. I can tell you in my early post it seems way to much though for a variance based on this alone.
Are you "lift assisted" or do you manually yo-yo those slopes?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #104
emacf1
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

what do you thing about the following algorithm:

collect all points that have been recorded in 1min and calculate the average altitude from that points - and the altitudeGained/lost will be calculated then on the "average altitude" values...

what do you think?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #105
emacf1

@at.rex - with the new algorithm you would had gained 552feet... (sounds that better to you)?
Old 03-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #106
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

I would hope someone more knowledgeable in math/formulas/filtering than I jumps in - this probably can be quite complicated.

I am leaving momentarily on a 35 mile bike ride with approximately 1,700 feet of elevation gain (those hills do go down again). So I will see how the current version does against known facts and report back (HOURS and hours from now - I'm out of shape!!!)
Old 03-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #107
emacf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I would hope someone more knowledgeable in math/formulas/filtering than I jumps in - this probably can be quite complicated.

I am leaving momentarily on a 35 mile bike ride with approximately 1,700 feet of elevation gain (those hills do go down again). So I will see how the current version does against known facts and report back (HOURS and hours from now - I'm out of shape!!!)
you could email me the GPL file and then I can let it run though the new implementation...
Old 03-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #108
emacf1

Just received Stinsonddog GPL file - and with the new impl GPSLogger calculates 15882ft for this ski trip...
Old 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #109
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Hey, someone help me - where do you see the total elevation gain? Details page?

I have pages for path, elevation, speed on each I see the duration and the distance at the end of the data display.

I did email my bike trip.

Last edited by FF2; 03-29-2009 at 06:55 PM..
Old 03-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #110
at.rex
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: Head
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
@at.rex - with the new algorithm you would had gained 552feet... (sounds that better to you)?
That is still almost 500 feet too much.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM   #111
at.rex

Quote:
Hey, someone help me - where do you see the total elevation gain? Details page?

If you have downloaded the latest version you will find details page under options when your track is highlighted.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #112
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by at.rex View Post
If you have downloaded the latest version you will find details page under options when your track is highlighted.
Thanks. I was trying to find it when the path was active.

Hmmm, not a bad bike ride - 8,500 ft of gain over 33.8 miles - I'm ready for the Tour de France!!! (Actually, I feel like that's accurate unfortunately. Not that I'm ready but it felt like 8,500 feet)

It should be closer to 1,600 - a shade over...........

Last edited by FF2; 03-29-2009 at 09:55 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #113
emacf1

Quote:
That is still almost 500 feet too much.
... I have difficulties to agree with you here (after i have seen the data) - I will send you some data detail this afternoon/evening when I am back home (when you agree, I would prefer top post it here in public to be able to discuss it with a larger audience) - there you can see the average data that was recorded during your trip - and form that data the 500ft are quite reasonable...

But I can understand, that it sounds indeed quite much when I look at the area where you made that trip (I am still jealous/envious)

Last edited by emacf1; 03-30-2009 at 04:13 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #114
at.rex

Quote:
... I have difficulties to agree with you here (after i have seen the data)
I did a 30 mile bike ride that I broke into two tracks. I used my bike computer with altimeter and also a Garmin CS60 GPS unit. On the first part of the ride I went 12.5 miles and climbed a total of 711 feet according to the two units. GPSLogger recorded 1070 feet. On the second part of the ride I went 18 miles and climbed a total of 1106 feet according to the two units. GPSLogger recorded 1711 feet.

T
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #115
at.rex

Quote:
Hmmm, not a bad bike ride - 8,500 ft of gain over 33.8 miles - I'm ready for the Tour de France!!! (Actually, I feel like that's accurate unfortunately. Not that I'm ready but it felt like 8,500 feet)
Looks like you had a better workout than I did.

T
Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #116
emacf1

Quote:
...my bike computer with altimeter and also a Garmin CS60 GPS unit. On the first part of the ride I went 12.5 miles and climbed a total of 711 feet according to the two units. GPSLogger recorded 1070 feet. On the second part of the ride I went 18 miles and climbed a total of 1106 feet according to the two units. GPSLogger recorded 1711 feet.
It's difficult for me to express what I wanted to say - I don't doubt, that the results GPSLogger currently reports are not the values you expect...

Ride 1: 12.5 miles and climbed a total of 711 feet
Ride 2: 18 miles and climbed a total of 1106 feet

Is the first one you send me? [or are you now talking about different ride again?] I am sorry I am a bit confused

... What I wanted to say with my '500ft' post question was, that I have already locally adjusted the GPSLogger code - and with that adjustment the dialogue say: gained 552feet.

I agree, that 522ft does not equal 711ft... It's quite difficult to find a good/reasonable algorithm that reflects:

a) GPS data accuracy failures (deviation)
b) Logging interval

Concerning the 1000 point example I have given view posts above - with the Old Code we would had get 500m gained - with the new implementation we would had get more or less 0m gained... so IMHO it's getting closer...

So what I am asking you is for "good" additional ideas/algorithms that could by allied.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #117
at.rex

Quote:
Is the first one you send me? [or are you now talking about different ride again?] I am sorry I am a bit confused
No, this was a bike ride that I haven't sent to you. The one I sent you was of a short hike. I just posted the bike ride results so you could see the difference between a dedicated GPS and GPSLogger. I wish I could help with your efforts but I don't understand why there is such a great difference between the readings. And, I want to thank you again for all your time and effort that you are putting into this problem.

T
Old 03-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #118
emacf1

Quote:
No, this was a bike ride that I haven't sent to you.
Would it be possible for you to email me also that GPL file? [so then there is a good reference to other other devices where we "know" the alt gain values the dedicated devices have printed...] even if I hope, that you understand, that the algorithm I have used right now (and that is build in 0.4.15) is also "correct" - but (when you look at the 1000Point example) quite strange...

It's always difficult since as a human beeing you have a certain expectation [but when a computer just accumulate facts, that the picture could be totally different]...
Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #119
skyedream

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmobile

would this work on black berry 8320? and do i need maps or does it included?
and do i have to enable to data? i turn data off so in case i don't have to use data to be charged.
# Software Platform: 2.7.0.92
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #120
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Mathias:

I sent you an email (at least, I tried) yesterday with a gpl file with a 33 mile bike ride that showed approximately 8,500 feet of elevation gain. My bike computer/altimeter (Cateye older model but pretty accurate) showed about 1,600 feet.

You can try your new method on it and report back.

As I wrote above, I can see your method picking up minor undulations in the road (up a foot, down a foot, up a small two feet, down a foot, etc) which could really add up even when the terrain feels flat. And depending on where the BB is located (I had mine in a hip pouch), each time I stand on the pedals and lower myself, could be added to elevation gain and that is probably not reflective of reality.