BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #121
jimfraser
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

After battery pull, up to 20 mbfrom 2.8 mb. Down from 24 mb on fresh OS 5.0.0.592 install 2 weeks ago. A loss on 4 megs after a reboot in 2 weeks seems like a lot! Blackberry App World is going (installed recently).
Old 05-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #122
cmuncan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

is anyone else having the issue where your bluetooth audio isn't working with this release?

I connect to my car stereo and can use the bluetooth phone aspect of it with no issues, as soon as I try to play music out of it, it "plays" but I hear nothing. The volume is on and I know that it used to work with the previous OS release.

Let me know if anyone else has noticed this issue?

If at first you don't succeed, give up because if you can't do it right the first time, you'll never be able to do it!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #123
Djohne
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8220
PIN: 2074FB77
Carrier: Digicel

I used BBSAK to load the games, just used the install COD, I saw a bejeweled alx but no cod file. Does this game come with any blackberry phones or must it be purchased. My girlfriend loves it.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #124
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

I've seen the alx but its empty and there are no cod's. I haven't seen it on any BB device. It may be something that is "coming soon".

Last edited by John Clark; 05-05-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Old 05-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #125
jDMJeRk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

Man and I thought I had a lot of problems with this OS...
Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #126
cmuncan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuncan View Post
is anyone else having the issue where your bluetooth audio isn't working with this release?

I connect to my car stereo and can use the bluetooth phone aspect of it with no issues, as soon as I try to play music out of it, it "plays" but I hear nothing. The volume is on and I know that it used to work with the previous OS release.

Let me know if anyone else has noticed this issue?
ok so I fixed the problem. What I had to do was delete the BT profile for my pioneer car stereo then re-add it to my device. After I did that, it worked and I could then listen to music over my car stereo via my blackberry.

If at first you don't succeed, give up because if you can't do it right the first time, you'll never be able to do it!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #127
ithehappy

Carrier: Vodafone Essar

simply asking a stupid question, Is this OS an Official one or a Beta? I had to ask coz I just can't find this OS listed on my country's carrier(Vodafone Essar) list.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #128
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

It's official, you can download an os from a different carrier as long as you delete the vendor.xml file.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #129
darcypa

Model: 9900

Thank you PIRATA! for the games fix.

Darcy
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #130
jimfraser

Memory management is strange with this OS. It starts with lower memeory than previous OSs (5.0 in general takes more memory than 4.6) - then goes down rapidly to below 10mb. Never had a previous OS go down below 10mb. I did have a previous 4.6 OS which went down to the low teens and then would get messages that memory was too low to launch certain programs. Despite dropping down to below 10mbs, I have never had a message with this OS that the memory is too low. Strange, but it must manage memory differently, letting memory get low and then only get rid of unecessary memory use when absolutly necessary.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #131
RedStateMan

Default Followed Directions Step-By-Step

I have been using a Blackberry 8820 since October of 2007 and just upgraded to the Blackberry Bold 9000. I'm so great that there is a forum like this to share your experiences and also get answers. So since I had the phone for over 2 1/2 years I was due for an upgrade. I of course wanted to stay with the Blackberry as I had never had any problems with my 8820, and looking at the series of Bold, the only one that came with an actual trackball not an optical trackpad was the 9000. I really like the 9700 but I'm not ready to make the jump to the optical trackpad just yet.

I was surprised that it did not come with the latest upgrade of the OS. It was still using version 4.5, so after going on the Blackberry website I downloaded the executable file that was available and followed the first poster's directions step-by-step using Windows 7 (64-bit) and deleted the vendor.XML file, ran the application, plugged my phone with a USB connection to my computer and 20 minutes later it was done. I just received my phone on Monday so there was not a lot that I had put on there. I was glad to see an application right under the menu for Facebook, MySpace, And Twitter. After updating my Facebook (over 500+ friends) I now have 34.8 MB of memory for applications and 858 MB of free space on the device!

I'm not sure if that's a lot of memory or a little. I do not have a media card installed. I could go immediately tell the difference with the trackball and how smoothly it felt compared to the original OS. Same exact settings at 70 for horizontal and vertical.

Some things that it will take to get used to are now that text messaging or SMS, appears like an instant messenger screen instead of one blank page with the number of characters that you can use. You do have the options of adding smiles and other features by using the symbol key.

But so far only after using it for a number of hours the only weird thing that are showing up is the Bluetooth connectivity with my Jawbone. When I use the phone on Monday for the first time everything was fine, now it does detect my Bluetooth but when a phone call comes in I do not hear any ring and actually yesterday somebody called me and I do not want to answer it but the Bluetooth picked up or the phone activated the Bluetooth without even touching the phone or it. Weird?? Any possible explanations for that.

I had hid a lot of the games or applications that I know I will never use, and the screen popped up that allowed me to pick and choose which applications I wanted to put back on after I rebooted. All of them were there in sync. Great upgrade!

So thank you for the very easy directions to whomever started this thread. I still cannot figure out what the desktop manager is supposed to do since the device software manager was much more useful in upgrading the OS. I guess occasionally you can synchronize with your computer using the desktop manager, but really it seems useless. I did not lose one contact.

But another question which is not related to the upgrade is can somebody tell me what the Visual Voice Mail application is for? I use AT&T and have been happy with them for the last eight years when they were Cingular. So after upgrading I am now set to browse the topics under this particular device and start playing. I still have the stupid problem when I downloaded the application for Gmail that when I send a message using the Gmail application or even on the computer, it shows up both in my Gmail (phone and computer) and on the Blackberry messenger. This is kind of annoying to have to delete a sent message from three different locations on your phone, same thing with a reply. Does anybody recommend completely uninstalling or removing Blackberry messenger in lieu of using the Gmail application?

Good luck to everybody else upgrading, and I hope that their process goes as smoothly as mine.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #132
kevintech

Anyone else get a red X next to emails after reading them to the very end?

Very annoying bug!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #133
kevintech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintech View Post
Anyone else get a red X next to emails after reading them to the very end?

Very annoying bug!
actually, i think i got rid of all the bugs so far. great OS, faster than 4.6 in many ways. battery life is about the same, although 3G in very low signal places will drain your battery.

threading of sms is great, and gmail plugin is a great way to organize email threads!

i am very happy with this OS and it prevented me from buying a 9700 with 5.0
Old 05-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #134
bocabenz

Model: 9300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
actually, i think i got rid of all the bugs so far. great OS, faster than 4.6 in many ways. battery life is about the same, although 3G in very low signal places will drain your battery.

threading of sms is great, and gmail plugin is a great way to organize email threads!

i am very happy with this OS and it prevented me from buying a 9700 with 5.0
I've got to agree with the last line especially. This has been quite a stable release for me. Fast, great battery, and plenty of memory.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #135
RAlfieri
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
I'm having the same problem with 3G, but I don't think it is related to this release. Whenever I am in an area where AT&T 3G is poor, the battery will get hot trying to ramp up the transmission power.

To be honest, I'm so fed up with AT&T 3G that I've backed my Bold down to 2G and the battery improvement is nothing short of amazing. I want to jump ship on AT&T but I travel outside the country and love the connectivity I have worldwide. Very frustrating.

Regards,
Rob
Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #136
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I just installed this new 5.0 build into a 9000 Bold I just bought...and I'm having some odd issues.

First...when I click on my browser icon, a "Hot-Spot Browser" appears, instead of the normal native BlackBerry Business Browser. Where did my native browser go?

Second...where is my Media icon on my homescreen? I did a battery pull...and it's still missing! What's up with that?

All this has been done without a SIM in the phone, since it's in my iPhone and I haven't made the switch yet. Will that stuff come back when on the AT&T network?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #137
kevintech

Did you all wipe your phone clean before upgrading your OS to 5.0? Or does apploader automatically wipe your phone clean before upgrading your phone?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #138
jimfraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I just installed this new 5.0 build into a 9000 Bold I just bought...and I'm having some odd issues.

First...when I click on my browser icon, a "Hot-Spot Browser" appears, instead of the normal native BlackBerry Business Browser. Where did my native browser go?

Second...where is my Media icon on my homescreen? I did a battery pull...and it's still missing! What's up with that?

All this has been done without a SIM in the phone, since it's in my iPhone and I haven't made the switch yet. Will that stuff come back when on the AT&T network?
If you don't have your sim card in you won't be getting any 2g or 3g reception, so all that is left is WiFi (or bluetooth).
Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #139
jimfraser

Quote:
Did you all wipe your phone clean before upgrading your OS to 5.0? Or does apploader automatically wipe your phone clean before upgrading your phone?
Apploader takes most stuff off then reloades it (other than the old operating sustem) after the new OS is loaded on. I did not wipe my phone clean (with BBSAK or other) before upgrading to OS 5.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #140
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfraser View Post
If you don't have your sim card in you won't be getting any 2g or 3g reception, so all that is left is WiFi (or bluetooth).
Duh! Never thought of that, thanks.

So, why isn't the media icon showing up?
Closed Thread