Old 06-03-2005, 07:34 AM   #1
kahill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7200
Carrier: T-mobile
Unhappy MapiInitialize 80004005 error when installing BB

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I am continually getting this error when I try to install Blackberry. This server does not have ESM installed on it yet. The error just says Mapiinitialize error 8004005. Can't find much on the internet about the error. Just wondering if anyone has run across this error or might know how to get past it.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Install ESM (and same-level patching as the Exchange server) so the computer will have mapi32.dll on it and registered - make sure the mapi32.dll is the same version as Exchange (if its not, then you did not apply the correct patches). CDO.dll will typically not be installed with an ESM-only installation of Exchange, if I'm not mistaken (it can be copied from an Exchange server and registered later) - as mentioned in the previous thread, CDO.dll can be registered after-the-fact (although you may as well do it now, to be honest; you'll have to restart your BES services if done afterwards). Be sure to do the command-line MAPI configuration mentioned in the installation steps too.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
kahill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the info. I am running into all kinds of issues. The next being that when copying the cdo.dll file from the current Exchange server it will not register. There is an error about the library. Currently we have Exchange 2003 on our servers. Any idea how to get the cdo registered. I am running regsvr32 cdo.dll and it is throwing the errors.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

regsvr32 "c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin\cdo.dll"

Only do this after you have installed ESM and patched it though. Simply copy it to c:\windows\system32 (or winnt if you are on 2000) without registering it there.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #5
kahill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Is there any way to install Mapi without installing ESM?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

i'm pretty sure you could copy to the directories above, which is where its present. although, i would say that something is likely going to break not to mention that you wouldn't have support from RIM concerning the installation. why the hesitancy in installing ESM?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:13 AM   #7
pzYsTorM

Model: 7290

Hi,

can anyone explain to me for which functionality the BES does require Exchange, MAPI, etc... ?

I have exactly the same error as above.

There is no way to download the ESM for Windows 2000 Server without buying Exchange (assuming this ESM is to be found in the Exchange package).

For any help big thanks in advance!

Bye
Old 04-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzYsTorM
Hi,

can anyone explain to me for which functionality the BES does require Exchange, MAPI, etc... ?

I have exactly the same error as above.

There is no way to download the ESM for Windows 2000 Server without buying Exchange (assuming this ESM is to be found in the Exchange package).

For any help big thanks in advance!

Bye
Do you have any Exchange Server CD?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
filmnmusic192

Model: 7130

I am also getting this error when installing BES 4.1 Express.

I am running the following:

Exchange Server 2003 as mail server
BES 4.1 Express on seperate server W/SQL database on seperate server

Since I am running BES on a seperate server from my exchange server, do I need to install ESM on the BES server? Or can I use the ESM on my existing exchange server?

Any help or guidance is appreaciated
Old 08-04-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
Crowdie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
Carrier: Vodafone

MAPI is a UDP based protocol for communicating with Microsoft Exchange. The BlackBerry solutions for Microsoft Exchange use the MAPI protocol to communicate with Microsoft Exchange.

You must install the Exchange System Manager onto your BES for Exchange server for two reasons:

1. It is required to complete the pre-installation tasks (granting of permissions)
2. You have to open and close the Exchange System Manager on your BES for Exchange server to initialise the MAPI subsystem on that server. If you don't when you go to start the BES you will get MAPI errors (always starting with a "8")

You will also get a MAPI error if you have just created a System Account, normally BESAdmin, and given it a mailbox and don't send it an E-mail BEFORE starting the BES server.

If you do not have an Exchange CD, to install the Exchange System Manager from, I suspect you shouldn't have an Exchange server.

If you get a "module not found" error when you attempt to register the CDO.DLL then copy the CDO.DLL to the \Windows\system32 or \WINNT\system32 (whichever applies to your server) and then type "regsvr32 cdo.dll".

Last edited by Crowdie; 08-04-2006 at 05:39 AM..
Old 04-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #11
Team503

Model: BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowdie
MAPI is a UDP based protocol for communicating with Microsoft Exchange. The BlackBerry solutions for Microsoft Exchange use the MAPI protocol to communicate with Microsoft Exchange.

You must install the Exchange System Manager onto your BES for Exchange server for two reasons:

1. It is required to complete the pre-installation tasks (granting of permissions)
2. You have to open and close the Exchange System Manager on your BES for Exchange server to initialise the MAPI subsystem on that server. If you don't when you go to start the BES you will get MAPI errors (always starting with a "8")

You will also get a MAPI error if you have just created a System Account, normally BESAdmin, and given it a mailbox and don't send it an E-mail BEFORE starting the BES server.

If you do not have an Exchange CD, to install the Exchange System Manager from, I suspect you shouldn't have an Exchange server.

If you get a "module not found" error when you attempt to register the CDO.DLL then copy the CDO.DLL to the \Windows\system32 or \WINNT\system32 (whichever applies to your server) and then type "regsvr32 cdo.dll".
System Info:

Operating System: Windows 2003 Terminal Server Service Pack 2
No Previous Installation of BlackBerry Components found.
Prerequisite Components Installation Information:
Java version 1.5.0_09 detected.
Microsoft XML 4.20.9818.0 detected.
Microsoft .Net version 1.1 detected.
WARNING: Unable to find Collaboration Data Objects library (CDO.dll).
WARNING: Exchange Server is not detected. A newer version of mapi32.dll may need to be installed.
WARNING: If you are using SNMP monitoring, you must install the SNMP service before you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

So I get this. I just did a complete reinstall of the ESM for 2007 (we're an Exchange 2007 native org).

MAPI32.dll is present on both servers (Exchange and BES) and versions match (1.0.2536.0).

I've tried manually registering it, but I get a no entry point error message.

I do not have CDO.DLL on any server in my Enterprise, nor is it on the MSDN media. I *do* have an excdo.dll file in the Exchange setup folder.

Environment
Windows 2003 Native Mode Active Directory on Sun and Dell hardware over Cisco switches.
Windows 2003 SP2 x64 on dual Athlon boxes.
BES 4.1.3
Exchange 2007

Can anyone advise, or should I just call RIM?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Exchange 2007 is not officially supported until SP4. Take a look at this thread for information and a link to the required CDO and MAPI file:

Thread
Old 04-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
Team503

Model: BES

Awesome. Thanks!