BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
sinniss

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers
Angry Help please - BES/Desktop fight = red x

Please Login to Remove!

I can't seem to get rid of this issue, and it's on MY handheld, which is hosted on the BES, I synch with my notebook daily for contacts, calendar, tasks etc. Every time I do though, the pesky Redirector adds another Desktop service(in addition to my BES 3DES) to OPTIONS>SECURITY: Services.
After this, the handheld gets the red x with every email I send Using: Desktop, cause it's confused. I then have to remotely log on to the BES and send a service book to correct this after every synch.

Is the Redirector even supposed to be there(in Desktop Mgr) if you have chosen BES as your option in install? It never used to be prior to 4.1 I think. Anyway, suspecting the desktop install as the problem I have tried removing and reinstalling a few times, even using the clean uninstall as documented by RIM.

Any help appreciated -Steve
Old 03-18-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

If your on BES 4.0 or higher you do not need the redirector software at all. That is assuming that your server is setup to deliver everything wirelessly. Check with your local BES administrator.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
sinniss

Thanks for the response Doug.

I am the BES admin - more of a business guy than a tech one, just wearing all hats in a start-up.

For a number of reasons, I need to synch with my laptop but still have BES push me the email only. I therefore have the wireless PIM reconcilliation turned off on my BES. In the install you have to choose either BES/Redirector or Webclient, so I chose BES/Redirector. It then allows the choice of BES or Redirector, so I chose BES. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager still contains a Redirector settings icon. -Steve
Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

There is no real differences between the Redirector and BES configurations of Desktop Manager. If you have email delivering to your laptop (to a PST/archive), and Desktop Manager is configured for that MAPI profile, then Redirector will kick in anytime you open Desktop Manager.

What are your reasons for synchronizing to your laptop? Are you using BES 4.0?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:57 PM   #5
sinniss

I am using BES 4.0.
I synch with the laptop so I can carry contact info with me and make notes in the field on opportunities(I use the tasks app on the BB to manage opportunities selling BlackBerry enterprise software), I then synch and use the contact and opportunity(task) notes to update journal entries in Outlook Business Contacts.

As a fix for this issue, and to avoid having to resend a service book from the BES every time after a synch, I renamed the Message service display name in Redirector>Advanced, from "Desktop" to "RE -dsktp". It still sticks it in Options>Security-Services, under my BES Desktop, but no longer causes the confusion.

Still should not happen though. -Steve
Old 03-21-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

If you are using BES, contacts, tasks, notes and calendar sync OTA.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
sinniss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
If you are using BES, contacts, tasks, notes and calendar sync OTA.
Yes, but not with my laptop.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

What email client are you using? If its Lotus Notes, and you are configured to sync everything wirelessly, then I can help. Other clients, I cant.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinniss
Thanks for the response Doug.

I am the BES admin - more of a business guy than a tech one, just wearing all hats in a start-up.

For a number of reasons, I need to synch with my laptop but still have BES push me the email only. I therefore have the wireless PIM reconcilliation turned off on my BES. In the install you have to choose either BES/Redirector or Webclient, so I chose BES/Redirector. It then allows the choice of BES or Redirector, so I chose BES. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager still contains a Redirector settings icon. -Steve
For your purposes you may want to install with Webclient.
Closed Thread