BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
wacky

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Tmobile blackberry and a puddle..

Please Login to Remove!

My phone took a plunge into a puddle and no longer functions, well I get text messages and email and can see when someone calls me I just cannot hear anything (not sure if they can hear me).

I do not have insurance and I saw on the tmobile site that if a return is found to be defective they will bill me $100, is this on top of billing me for the price of the phone?

It didn't get completely submerged, I don't mind paying for a new phone but thought an attempt at a return may not hurt as worst case scenario is that they charge me for the phone which I would have to pay for to replace anyways.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

wacky:
Have you thought about getting it dried out completely first?

Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
cenner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23E57F7C
Carrier: T-Mobile

I was racing my nephew to be the first to jump in the pool, i took off my cap, sandals, shirt, but forgot to take my phone off my belt case and dove in the pool. The second I jumped in I realized what I had done, I threw the phone out of the water.

It was DEAD! I completely disassembled the phone and left it to dry under a fan over night. To my SURPRISE, when I put it back together, it WORKED!!

The screen had a wet stain on it for a day or two, but then it went away and my phone works perfectly til this day. WooHoo!!!!

I think the key is to NOT try to power it on AND remove the battery ASAP!

:: Black BlackBerry Pearl on T-Mobile w/ 1GB MicroSD ::
:: BSE Skin - Version 4.2.1.66 BIS ::

Last edited by cenner; 07-30-2007 at 03:20 PM..
Old 07-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenner View Post
I was racing my nephew to be the first to jump in the pool, i took off my cap, sandals, shirt, but forgot to take my phone off my belt case and dove in the pool. The second I jumped in I realized what I had done, I threw the phone out of the water.

It was DEAD! I completely disassembled the phone and left it to dry under a fan over night. To my SURPRISE, when I put it back together, it WORKED!!

The screen had a wet stain on it for a day or two, but then it went away and my phone works perfectly til this day. WooHoo!!!!

I think the key is to NOT try to power it on AND remove the battery ASAP!
Water damage is contingent on too many variables to say what will happen when one attempts to power up after the Pearl takes a swim.

You lucked out though. Conventional wisdom is to wait longer than 24 hours before powering up the phone. I think most have said to wait at least four days.

But most people won't. They fall prey to the Pearl's siren song to "try it out" soon after the soaking. Just too much of a temptation to wait four to five days.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:42 AM   #5
Kiristo

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TIM

I got lucky with mine. Fell into some water with it and removed the battery, but did not wait til it was dry to put it back in. I found the many threads on this issue on the forums and left both on top of a warm stereo for about a day and it still worked when I put the battery back in. However, a few months later the device started using battery life at an incredible rate and after cycling 3 batteries to keep it alive for a few days I had to replace it.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 AM   #6
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

What about leaving your phone in the bathroom while you shower waiting for a call? Can the steam from a hot shower, which I like to take, be a considerable factor in damaging my pearl? The OCD in me has decided to not take the BB in the bathroom at all though but I was curious.

Rolo
Closed Thread