BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Air Force One
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: Classified
Carrier: at&t
Default Legal Movie Downloads for the Pearl: for a Price?

Please Login to Remove!

I know I'm gonna get flamed for posting this, but here goes..

Is there a place that I can legally download movies for my Pearl? You know, a site that pays the movie industry their fees for allowing us to pay to download movies?

I am not computer savy whatsoever, and before you say it's easy with the blackberry movie converter, I already tried that, and couldn't even figure out how to get a sitcom I recorded from cable TV into the converter for conversion.

I just want to download a properly formatted movie legally onto my computer, then download it onto the Pearl.

I'm assumming the answer is no, but just wanted to ask.

Thank you,

AF1

Last edited by coreyg510; 02-19-2007 at 07:10 AM..
Old 02-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
barchinal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

You certainly will not get flamed by me. I'm giving myself a headache trying to figure out the same thing. I'm starting simple with a short DVD, but the BB video creator cannot convert it. I suppose this DVD is protected. So, the question remains, how do we get movies, sitcoms, etc on the Pearl legally like what is being done all the time with iPod?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

So to be able to backup your DVD movies you need a third party program that "unlocks" the DVD's security features.

A very well known program is AnyDVD. I have been using that for about 5 years.

Also, their "CloneDVD Mobile" makes perfect PocketPC copies of my movies and from there I can convert them using BlackBerry Video Generator or Creator.

I also use it to convert my DVD recordings from TV into AVI files that I then convert into Pearl format.

SlySoft Products | Copy Movie DVDs with AnyDVD and CloneDVD
Old 02-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
kasperapd

Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the links San Fran.

Please try a Search
Old 02-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This doesn't help for the OP's question but the AnyDVD software along with CloneDVDMobile does work very well. It's a little expensive but works quite seamlessly....I like it.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:41 AM   #6
SanFrancisco

I was answering Barchinal's question, but also answered the OP.

In regards to the OP, just keep an eye out for developments. More and more companies are exploring providing movie downloads for a fee, just like iTunes.

As for TV recordings, did you use a DVD recorder? If so, Clone DVD Mobile will convert those DVD [VOB] files into AVI files from which you can then convert to the Pearl format.

It's as simple as taking the DVD disc [that has the recorded material] putting it into your PC DVD tray, pressing the CloneDVD icon and converting from there. Then you convert into Pearl format.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:11 AM   #7
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c

**Original post edited to stress legality**

We DO NOT promote illeagle downloads of movies/music of any kind. Thanks for keeping up with the forum rules
Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Air Force One
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Classified
Carrier: at&t

Thanks for all the responses. They all helped.

SanFran:

No, I used windows media center on an HP laptop. Funny thing is, I finally got the converter working last night. I was up at 3:AM dancing a jig when the first video came up on the screen. What a cool feeling!!

I'm not attempting to copy DVD's due to the legality issue, but I am recording cable TV. I figure that has to be legal since the computer came with an analog/digital tuner with recording capability. I figure moving the video to my pearl is fine(legal) as long as it ends there, with no sharing.

Only problem I'm having now is some slight lip sync issues. Nothing major but...

There are no options in the blackberry converter for dealing with lip sync. What do you guys do in these cases, if anything?

Thanks again everyone. Great forum and membership, BTW.

AF1
Old 02-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
absoluteevel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241C4261
Thumbs up

I used DVD Decrypter (setup to pull all the movie VOBs as a single big file and pull only the AC3 2 channel audio) and dragged the VOB into the batch file as described in this post.

Excellent quality. Free. What could be better? Barbershop recoded from my DVD to avi at 239mb.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
SanFrancisco

Copying your own DVDs for backup or conversion is safe, and yes, it's posting them online and sharing that gets one into trouble.

As to lip sync issues, mostly when I convert YouTube videos, I have to really work around the issue. You basically have to rip the sound then sync the video with the sound file.

I use Windows FREE MovieMaker [that is on most people's computers]. Look at this hassle.

First I have to convert the flash or other file into a format that MovieMaker will open and let me edit. Usually I can use Super C to convert it to Windows WMV.

Then I play the video and rip the sound into a separate audio file, using a program I have for that, Polderbits [lots of audio ripping files out there].

Then I open MovieMaker and import the video and audio files.

In MovieMaker I then adjust the audio to mute the sound on the video and to put the imported audio at max volume.

MovieMaker then lets me "slide" the audio file forward and in reverse to match the video.

I then save the WMV file and use Super C to convert it back into an AVI file or other format that I choose.

Actually the longest part of the process is ripping the audio, which requires playing the entire video so to rip the sound off into a separate file.

Needless to say, but I will, dealing with sync issues is a hassle so I only do it when I care about the end product. Most of the time on music videos I download I don't bother.

And the only reason I do the above is that I am not aware of any other programs out there to do what I am doing. I am sure there are, but I have not bothered looking since I am used to doing all my video editing with MovieMaker, SuperC and Polderbits.

Here are examples of what I can do. The one is a video I made for a motorcyle forum I belong to. [I call women "hens" so that explains what you see in the one video, by the way].

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/HenCavalcade.wmv

Here is another one, I edited the entire video, with sound, splicing, credits, intro, transitions, etc. It is more elaborate in terms of technique.

http://www.heartinsanfrancisco.com/KungFuMovie14MB.wmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force One
Thanks for all the responses. They all helped.

SanFran:

No, I used windows media center on an HP laptop. Funny thing is, I finally got the converter working last night. I was up at 3:AM dancing a jig when the first video came up on the screen. What a cool feeling!!

I'm not attempting to copy DVD's due to the legality issue, but I am recording cable TV. I figure that has to be legal since the computer came with an analog/digital tuner with recording capability. I figure moving the video to my pearl is fine(legal) as long as it ends there, with no sharing.

Only problem I'm having now is some slight lip sync issues. Nothing major but...

There are no options in the blackberry converter for dealing with lip sync. What do you guys do in these cases, if anything?

Thanks again everyone. Great forum and membership, BTW.

AF1

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 02-19-2007 at 08:17 PM..
Old 02-21-2007, 03:03 AM   #11
asasyn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
So to be able to backup your DVD movies you need a third party program that "unlocks" the DVD's security features.

A very well known program is AnyDVD. I have been using that for about 5 years.

Also, their "CloneDVD Mobile" makes perfect PocketPC copies of my movies and from there I can convert them using BlackBerry Video Generator or Creator.

I also use it to convert my DVD recordings from TV into AVI files that I then convert into Pearl format.

SlySoft Products | Copy Movie DVDs with AnyDVD and CloneDVD
hey sanfran any step by step instruction on how to use clone dvd mobile and putting it onto our BB pearl ?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 AM   #12
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by asasyn
hey sanfran any step by step instruction on how to use clone dvd mobile and putting it onto our BB pearl ?
I am working on a massive "how to" on DVD, YouTube and other video conversions. Stay tuned, it's a lot of work.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
baconismidog
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have about 60 you can download at my site, they are all legal and free. Old school bugs bunny, reefer madness, zombie movies, popeye, etc... ;)

Seabyrd Technologies - Download movies for your Blackberry

B
Closed Thread